1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
  1. 5-HT2A
    FREDERICKSBURG, Texas (KXAN) - In Fredericksburg, a 16-year-old student was laid to rest on Wednesday after police say he snorted a "designer drug" that caused a heart attack.

    Samuel Herrera and a friend each ingested the drug. Herrera died from the overdose; his friend was in stable condition at a San Antonio hospital.

    Police said an 18-year-old student at the high school sold them the drugs, which he bought online.

    The new derivative designer drug, called 25C-NBOMe, has stumped the lab so far.

    “Chemists are still working on it to figure out the components inside it,” said Lt. Steve Wertz with the Fredericksburg Police Department. “Until we know that we won't know what charges we're filing on anybody.”

    The drug is relatively new. It first surfaced three years ago, so police and doctors are still learning about its effects.

    You can find scientific papers, but searching online forums and web pages is one of the ways you can find out information.

    Many users reported hallucinations and feelings more potent or euphoric than LSD.

    Herrera was a star linebacker on the school's football team. His death stunned members of the community.

    After the funeral, hundreds attended a wake in his honor.

    “Sam had lots of friends, everyone loved him,” classmate Kayla Renteria said. “He would walk into a room and put a smile on your face.”

    Amid the tragedy, family and friends hopes this sends a message to students and parents.

    “I hope this wakes them up," Betty Tschirhart said. "We need to get this drug stuff under control.”

    KXAN Texas (David Scott reporting)
    24th April 2013
    http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/hill_country/teen-overdoses-on-synthetic-drug

Comments

  1. 5-HT2A
    [IMGL="white"]http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=32861&stc=1&d=1368383156[/IMGL]FREDERICKSBURG — A popular teen's death from ingesting an unregulated hallucinogenic substance has opened eyes in this Hill Country community to the hazards of designer drugs marketed on the Internet.

    Since Sam Herrera, 16, died April 20, his family and many friends have grieved as police and prosecutors examined what charges they could file in the case.

    The answer so far: none.

    “This is just a tragic situation,” Fredericksburg Independent School District Superintendent Marc Williamson said.

    The Texas Department of Public Safety is exploring whether the substance blamed for Herrera's death can be included in pending legislation aimed at outlawing such synthesized drugs.

    Several other deaths around the nation have been blamed on recreational use of psychoactive chemicals derived from phenethylamine, a compound found in plants and animals.

    Beside prohibiting specific versions of known drugs, state Sen. Joan Huffman, R-Houston, said her bill would enable law enforcement officers “to keep up with street chemists who alter the chemical compounds to skirt existing drug laws and put them on the streets faster than they can be banned.”

    Although the “Say No to Drugs” mantra is instilled in students from kindergarten on, acquaintances say Herrera and another teen who took the chemical had no inkling of the potentially lethal consequences.

    “There was no stop sign ... no red flags,” John Jeffers, the father of a friend of the teen, told roughly 900 people who gathered Wednesday at the Holy Ghost Lutheran Church to celebrate Herrera's short life.

    In the eulogy, he blamed Herrera's death on a momentary lapse in judgment, saying, “That one moment does not take the innocence away from this beautiful young man.”

    The strapping Fredericksburg High School sophomore, who played three sports, and another teen snorted the substance while at Jeffers' home about 1:30 a.m. April 20, authorities say.

    Trouble arose about an hour later, as the teens become loud and disruptive. A sleeping Jeffers was roused by his son, and police were called.

    Fredericksburg police Lt. Steve Wetz said Herrera was found unconscious by emergency responders, who took him to Hill Country Memorial Hospital, where he died.

    The ambulance crew described the other boy, James Jarreau, 17, as disoriented and combative, Wetz said. He was admitted to University Hospital but has been released.

    The drug was identified as 25c-NBOMe by the DPS crime lab.

    “DPS has seen similar synthetic hallucinogenic compounds in our labs before, but not this specific one,” DPS spokesman Tom Vinger said.

    Wetz said it was sold to the boys by an acquaintance who told authorities he'd bought it on the Internet.

    “We're still meeting with the federal drug investigators to see if there were any federal violations from the sale of the substance,” he said.

    Among those consulted by treating physicians was Dr. Miguel Fernandez, director of the South Texas Poison Center.

    Fernandez said overdoses of synthesized psychedelic hallucinogens known on the street as “25i” and “Europa” are increasing.

    The drug was developed decades ago to treat psychiatric patients, he said, but was never marketed for therapeutic use.

    “I can't say that I've seen that particular drug before,” Fernandez said of 25c-NBOMe. “We don't know enough about this drug because it's only now becoming more popular and available.”

    “It's not wise to take something that you're unfamiliar with, certainly if you're not around people who can handle an emergency, should it arise,” he added.

    Death can result from such substances in a number of ways.

    “If someone has severe effects, it could be because they did too much, because they are doing other drugs and/or because they're susceptible to a bad reaction,” said Fernandez, who also teaches emergency medicine at the University of Texas Health Science Center.

    Herrera's father, David Herrera, urged churchgoers Wednesday not to remember his late son for one choice that cost him his life. Rather, he said, Sam Herrera should be recalled as a good friend, loving son and gentle spirit.

    “There are no words to describe the sadness and pain in our hearts,” he said.

    His mother, Tricia Herrera, is still confounded by her son's decision to use the drug.

    “The things I do know don't explain why. Sam just wasn't a risk-taker,” she said Thursday.

    Tricia Herrera also doesn't know who sold him the substance, since police haven't released that person's name.

    But, she said, if they met, she'd ask, “Was the money that you made worth the price of my boy's life?”

    mySA News (Zeke MacCormack reporting)
    29th April 2013
    http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/lo...synthetic-drug-blamed-in-death-of-4470640.php
  2. hookedonhelping
    Does anyone know if this accurate?

    This is a sad story. When I think of a 16 year old high school jock playing with chemicals that are active at microgram levels, I can't help but assume this is going to be the outcome a majority of the time.

    It will be interesting if details are published regarding what size dose this person took. If this young man looked here online prior to consuming this chemical; it may have made a difference.

    I can completely understand his mothers feelings towards whomever supplied this substance but at the end of the day we are responsible for our own actions. Being 16 years old is a awkward age where you are considered responsible enough to operate a motor vehicle yet irresponsible enough to make regrettable decisions. Unfortunately, in this case the decision he made carried a consequence that is not reversible.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!