19-year-old dies, possibly drug (ecstasy) related

By Terrapinzflyer · Oct 12, 2009 · Updated Oct 12, 2009 · ·
  1. Terrapinzflyer
    19-year-old dies, possibly drug related

    City cops are investigating after a 19-year-old man suspected of taking ecstasy collapsed at a West Edmonton Mall rave and later died in hospital.

    Special duty police officers were contact by mall security shortly before 4 a.m. today.

    Cops were told a man had collapsed at the Frost 2009 rave party.

    He was transported by ambulance to hospital, where he died at 6 a.m.

    Police said the man is suspected of having taken ecstasy.

    Two men and one woman in their 20s also suspected of taking ecstasy were treated in hospital and released.

    The death is not considered suspicious, but cops are hunting for whoever sold the dead man the drug.

    The official cause of death has yet to be determined by the medical examiner.

    The rave, held at the Edmonton Event Centre, wrapped up at 6 a.m.

    Police ask anyone who with information to contact cops at 780-423-4567.

    Earlier this year, 14-year-old Cassie (Eyre) Williams died from an ecstasy overdose at West Edmonton Mall's Rock 'N' Ride event.

    The mall later shut the teen party down. It was held at Galaxyland.

    Cassie reportedly took six hits of "E," all of which were triple the standard dosage.

    Last Updated: 12th October 2009, 2:04pm


    I was hesitant to post this with so little real information available. Hopefully I or someone else will follow up on this as more facts become available

    Share This Article


  1. Alfa
    I wonder how many 2c-b-fly deaths will be reported to be ecstasy deaths.
  2. DietBlonde
    Well, with all the bullshit out there that is being passed off as mdma lately, deaths are going to rise. TESTING KITS, people!

    And why the hell is a 14 year old rolling!!! goddamn.
  3. Diabolic
    There's definitely a rise in the availability of ecstasy especially where I live. Ecstacy alone in it's pure MDMA form rarely leads to overdose considering the proper precautions are taken. The problem is there are also a lot of dirty rolls floating around sometimes even rolls were a third stack is straight speed. Testing kits are a simple solution, but to all the people who cant get them be responsible enough to know what your dealing with.
  4. Terrapinzflyer
    Raver’s first time taking ecstasy fatal: friend

    EDMONTON — Zachary Lamb tried ecstasy for the first time at a West Edmonton Mall rave hours before his death, his best friend said Wednesday.

    The 19-year-old Calgary man drove up to Edmonton for Thanksgiving weekend with his girlfriend and a couple of friends, including Lamb’s best friend Danny Yanko, to see DJ Armin van Buuren headline the all-night Frost dance party at the Edmonton Event Centre on October 11.

    “This was his first time going to an event like this, an all-night one,” said Yanko, who goes to similar shows regularly.

    They decided to do ecstasy, and paid someone at Frost $40 for what Yanko said was pure ecstasy, five clear capsules filled with the white powder MDMA.

    They bought the drug right on the dance floor, amid thumping music, flashing lights and hundreds of shifting bodies.

    Lamb initially took one capsule, then a second a little later on, as the friends watched the light show from the venue’s balcony area.

    “He was smiling ear to ear. He was bouncing to the beat of the music,” said Yanko, who said he took one capsule and felt fine.

    But as the night wore on, Lamb started to sweat and shake.

    At about 4 a.m., Yanko led Lamb toward the washroom to get some water. On the way they met two security guards. They took one look at Lamb and said he had to leave.

    “The bouncer grabbed him, he stepped back and that was when the situation escalated,” Yanko said.

    His eyes were darting back and forth and Yanko has having trouble holding his attention. Two paramedics who were monitoring the event met with security on the top level of the club. Soon police and more paramedics arrived. “Four people were pinning Zac to the ground by his arms and legs, telling him to calm down,” Yanko said. This seemed to agitate his friend further.

    They administered saline to hydrate him and after what felt to Yanko like half-an-hour, the paramedics walked them down the stairs and out to the ambulance. “I don’t think they should have let him walk out by himself,” Yanko said.

    Lamb was driven to the Royal Alexandra Hospital with his girlfriend, while Yanko and the fourth person with them took a cab to the hospital.

    They met a doctor who told them Lamb’s heart wasn’t beating properly. He died soon after.

    “He was a really healthy guy. He used to be kind of the jock in high school, not so much the cocky kid..., but he was always playing sports,” said Yanko.

    Lamb worked as a senior server at the Dalhousie Earls in Calgary.

    “Zac’s been my best friend since Grade 1,” Yanko said. “He was really selfless, he was kind of a goof.”

    When Yanko got a job at Earls, he said Lamb helped instil a work ethic in him that had been absent since high school.

    While some people might blame the organizers or security for allowing ecstasy to slip past the front door, it’s practically impossible to control, Yanko said.

    “You’ll never be able to get rid of that. Drugs are small,” he said.

    “I’ve used the drug more than a couple times, but I’ll never touch it again.”




    I had honestly thought this might be related to the 2c-b-fly debacle but I guess not...
  5. Terrapinzflyer
    Okotoks man admits to producing ecstasy

    One Okotoks man busted with a large amount of ecstasy in an Edmonton hotel has admitted to manufacturing the drug.

    In an Edmonton courtroom last week, Jake Bailey pleaded guilty to producing a controlled substance.

    Bailey and another Okotoks man, Josh Karkus, were arrested on the heels of the death of 19-year-old Okotokian Zachary Lamb from an ecstasy overdose at a rave held at West Edmonton Mall on Oct. 12, 2009.

    Lamb graduated from the Foothills Composite High in 2007. He had many friends in the area and his stepfather Mike Waddell said shortly after his death Lamb loved living in Okotoks.

    Paramedics were called to the Frost 2009 rave party at 3:45 a.m. on Oct. 12. Four people, including Lamb, received treatment after taking ecstasy, however, Lamb died a few hours later.

    The next day Edmonton police arrested Bailey and Karkus at a west-end Edmonton hotel, but have never said whether the pair was suspected to have supplied Lamb with the drug.

    Bailey and Karkus were scheduled for a preliminary hearing on Nov. 9 and 10, but that was cancelled. Karkus maintained his not guilty plea to charges of possession of a controlled substance, possessing a controlled substance and possession of stolen property under $5,000. A charge of producing a controlled substance was dismissed. He will be arraigned in Court of Queen’s Bench in Edmonton before a trial date is set.

    Bailey will be sentenced in Edmonton Court Jan. 26. He is currently free on $1,000 bail.

    17 November 2010
    by Darlene Casten - Assistant Editor

  6. SamanthaRabbit
    That is a very awesome follow up. I am interested to hear more details as they come out. I wonder if any of them may have even been ID'd as being the suppliers of the drugs at the rave?
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!