2 Kamloops teens sent to hospital after smoking joint, police say
Mon Nov 3, 11:58 PM
VANCOUVER (CBC) - Two Kamloops students were taken to hospital from their high school Monday morning after smoking a marijuana joint that may have contained other substances, the RCMP said.
Police have not released the name of the Kamloops high school but said the 16-year-old boy and 15-year-old girl had the same symptoms: stomach sickness, shortness of breath and both were somewhat incoherent.
The B.C. Ambulance service was called to the school to deal with a "possible drug overdose," Kamloops City RCMP spokesman Sgt. Scott Wilson said in a news release.
Emergency crews asked for police assistance shortly before 9:30 a.m.
"Investigators on scene learned that paramedics were treating a 16-year-old male student for stomach sickness, shortness of breath and a temporary loss of consciousness," Wilson said.
"At this same time, a 15-year old female student from the same school began to experience similar symptoms ... Both students were taken to Royal Inland Hospital for treatment by medical staff."
Wilson said both students had apparently shared a joint before class Monday morning.
"Because of the adverse reactions experienced by the students, there exists a possibility that something in addition to marijuana may have been present in the joint," he said.
Their conditions are believed to be not life-threatening.
Investigators are asking anyone with information about the case to call Kamloops RCMP.