1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Alcohol May Have Played Role In 14 Year Old Girl's Death

By EscapeDummy, Jul 12, 2011 | Updated: Jul 16, 2011 | | |
Tags:
  1. EscapeDummy
    SANTA ROSA (CBS SF) — A 14-year-old girl died after apparently drinking soda spiked with alcohol at a sleepover in Sonoma County on Saturday night, a Sonoma County sheriff’s lieutenant said Monday

    The sheriff’s office identified the girl as Takeimi Rao, of Santa Rosa, who recently graduated from Rincon Valley Middle School.

    An autopsy is scheduled for Monday, but the cause of Rao’s death won’t be determined until toxicology test results are in, Lt. Dennis O’Leary said.

    Three other girls attended the sleepover at Rao’s house, located in the 6000 block of Foothill Ranch Road in unincorporated Sonoma County north of Santa Rosa, O’Leary said.

    Around 3 a.m., some of the girls became ill and vomited, and Rao’s mother helped clean them up and put them back to sleep, believing that they had food poisoning, O’Leary said.

    Rao’s mother also looked in on her daughter, who appeared to be asleep in her bed, O’Leary said.

    When Rao’s mother went to wake her around 9 a.m., she was unresponsive and the mother then called 911, O’Leary said.

    One of the girls admitted to bringing alcohol into the room, and sheriff’s deputies recovered a bottle of alcohol, O’Leary said.

    “The parents are really good parents and they were home the entire night,” O’Leary said.

    It’s believed the girls were experimenting with alcohol they had found in the house, O’Leary said.

    Friends are posting messages on a Facebook page titled “Rest in Peace Takeimi Rao.”

    “I only had to hang out with you as much as we did for me to love you. I’ll miss you girl rest in peace. I will never forget you,” one post read.

    “Nobody this young and beautiful should have passed away. Especially at 14. Everyone misses you. Hopefully this will all teach us a lesson. Somebody should have been there to prevent it. RIP,” read another post.

    July 11, 2011
    http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...l-dies-at-sleepover-after-drinking-substance/

Comments

  1. Moving Pictures
    when I was 17, the same thing happened to my friend's little sister (sneaking alcohol at a sleep over) except she didn't die, she just went into a coma for several weaks and ended up severly brain damaged. They said she'll never be able to take care of herself or anything for the rest of her life. It was really sad.

    Alcohol is extremely dangerous for young kids. especially when it's mixed in a soda and can be drank without tasting it. They can keep drinking more and more without problem and the next thing you know, they're in a coma or dead or something.
  2. EscapeDummy
    Oh my god... that's a terrible story. My condolences to your friend, that really sounds like a horrible thing for a family to experience.

    But why is it that alcohol only seems to cause brain damage when people are young? I mean, I know some older alcoholics that aren't right in the head, but they might have been that way before. I've been drinking 2-4 nights a week for a bit over 2 years now, and mostly binging (until recently, now I'm down to just chill with a couple beers) and I still think I'm pretty sharp.

    It also seems that this type of thing happens more often to girls, maybe because of less body mass? The first tiem I ever got drunk, when I was 15 (I'd had alcohol once or twice before ever, less than two drinks), I 100% blacked out. It's the only full, absolute blackout i've ever had - I remember putting the bacardi bottle to my lips, and the next thing I remember is waking up over 18 hours later in my bed at home, too fucked up to know if I was still drunk or if it was a hangover. I've blacked out several times since then, where I remember the night up to a certain point, then BAM a blackout - but this time, my entire memory of the event was literally fully erased. I had to find out through my parents that I had been arrested during that time, was completely unable to walk, slurring to the point of not being possible to understand, and once the cops took me home (I was still a minor), my dad had to carry me to my bed. The worst part is my parents literally thought I was an angel up to that point, especially my mom, it totally devastated her. And I had to find out through my friend that when the cop stopped us, I asked him what his problem was, told him I was 21 (I was 15) and when he asked to see my ID, I pulled out my cell phone, flipped it open, and put it back in my pocket smugly.

    It was serious alcohol poisoning and were it not for my friend I could have died or been seriously injured, passed out in the street, etc. I do recall feeling "off" for at least a few days, but eventually I felt alright (mentally). Anyway, I'm wondering why I know so many people, myself included, who really could have died or nearly died, but suffered minor to no brain damage, where on the other hand we have stories like this?
  3. Terrapinzflyer
    Teen Who Died At Santa Rosa Sleepover Overdosed On ‘Date Rape’ Drug

    SANTA ROSA (CBS SF) – A 14-year-old girl who was found dead in her bedroom the morning after a sleepover last summer died from drinking GHB, a so-called “date rape” drug, according to the Sonoma County Sheriff’s Office.

    The sheriff’s office is still investigating where the girl, Takeimi Rao, got the GHB, or gamma hydroxybutyric acid, sheriff’s Lt. Dennis O’Leary said.

    The drug is found in some cleaning solvents, but investigators have not recovered any such substances from the teen’s home, O’Leary said.

    It is also possible that the girls at the July 9 sleepover at the teen’s home on Foothill Ranch Road, north of Santa Rosa, drank a liquid containing GHB by mistake, O’Leary said.

    The girls gave no information about how they might have come in contact with the drug, O’Leary said.

    “Three girls said they drank a liquid in a cup and didn’t like the taste and stopped drinking it and were sick later,” O’Leary said Wednesday morning.

    Rao and three friends went to sleep on the floor of the teen’s bedroom, O’Leary said.

    Her three friends became ill and started vomiting around 3 a.m., and Rao’s mother helped clean them before they went back to sleep, O’Leary said.

    Rao appeared to be asleep at the time, but it is now believed she died between 2 and 4 a.m., O’Leary said. Her mother found her unresponsive around 9 a.m.

    It was initially thought that the girls had food poisoning, O’Leary said in July. Alcohol poisoning was also a possibility, but an autopsy found minimal levels of alcohol in Rao’s blood and no evidence that the teen choked in her sleep, O’Leary said.

    Additional toxicology tests were performed, and the results this week determined that Rao died of GHB poisoning, O’Leary said.

    Traces of GHB were found in the paper cups the girls drank from and in a plastic water bottle, O’Leary said.

    Sheriff’s investigators collected a bottle of vodka in the house but it did not contain GHB, O’Leary said.

    Rao’s parents said there might have been some cleaning solvent containing GHB in another empty vodka bottle that was not collected and was later thrown out, O’Leary said.

    GHB can inhibit breathing and cause asphyxia, O’Leary said.

    It can be in the form of an odorless, colorless liquid or white powder and is commonly mixed with alcohol, according to the federal Drug Enforcement Administration.

    The drug is popular among teens and young adults at dance clubs and “raves” and is easy to synthesize and manufacture, according to the DEA.

    It causes drowsiness, dizziness, nausea and visual disturbance at lower doses and unconsciousness, seizures, severe respiratory depression and coma in higher doses, DEA officials said.

    Known as a “date rape” drug, GHB has been used to commit sexual assaults on victims who are rendered incapable of resisting, and can cause memory problems that make it difficult to prosecute offenders, according to the DEA.

    O’Leary said anyone with information about how the teens acquired GHB is asked to call the sheriff’s office

    http://sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com/20...a-rosa-sleepover-last-year-had-ghb-poisoning/
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!