Mother's warning as yet ANOTHER teenage girl dies of suspected meow meow overdose
An 18-year-old girl is feared to be Britain's latest victim of the killer legal drug mephedrone.
Joslyne Marie Cockburn was found dead at around 8.30am on Sunday following a night out with friends.
In the days leading up to her death, she is believed to have increased her use of the plant fertiliser, also known as meow meow and M-cat.
Joslyne's devastated mother Jacqueline Cockburn said her daughter had dabbled with the toxic substance despite the efforts of her friends to stop her.
A post-mortem has so far proved inconclusive, and toxicology reports are taking place.
It is still unclear what caused her tragic death but it is believed she died of a suspected drugs overdose.
Miss Cockburn, 35, from Newcastle, urged others not to use the so-called 'legal highs' and called for a ban of the substance.
She said: 'She was so happy, friendly, bubbly, loving and fun. She loved being around people and she was very generous.
'We were so close - she was like my sister and I miss her so much. She was thoughtful and she was always there for you.
'Her friends had told us that she was using mephedrone and they had tried to stop her.
'If there's one thing that needs to come out of this then it's that others should not use these drugs - no-one should go through this.
'She had so much to look forward to, and now that's been taken away from her.'
Mephedrone, believed to be more addictive than Ecstasy, is available in stores for as little as £2 a hit.
Police forces have called for the drug to be outlawed so they can clamp down on dealers after the deaths of six people - including - Bacon factory worker Lois Waters, 24, this week - were linked to the drug.
Joslyne was discovered at an address in West Denton on Sunday morning.
She was not breathing, and frantic efforts were carried out to wake her before paramedics were called and battled to save her life.
She died at Newcastle General Hospital and police were immediately called to launch an investigation.
Miss Cockburn, who lives with Joslyne's step-father, Bill Main, 40, a bricklayer, and her other children, Brooke, 14, Samantha, 12, and Shane, four, said: 'I'm angry, but I'm going through all the emotions.
'At first I was in denial, and then police arrived to ask me to identify the body.
'I just wanted to run away and I didn't want to listen. I was determined that it wouldn't be my Joslyne, but when I arrived it was my baby. It was our baby.
'No-one should have to go identify their daughter's body. It's a real fear that this drug took her life.
'We need to make sure no-one else dies, and I'm hoping we can help save one other person.'
Miss Cockburn said she did not believe her daughter was using any other drugs.
'She was a healthy girl who had no problems, this shouldn't have happened,' she said.
'She was naive and she was influenced into taking drugs. It makes me angry.'
Joslyne's father, James Brown, 42, said: 'The whole family is devastated. We loved her so much.'
Granmother Pat Harris, 69, said: 'Her friends are devastated. We are all in shock because she was so beautiful.
'She rang her me and her dad every day just to make sure we were OK.'
Joslyne had hoped to become a hairdresser and had recently enrolled on a hair and beauty course in Newcastle.
Her boyfriend of 18-months, Wayne Noble paid an emotional tribute and said she would never be forgotten.
The 24-year-old said: 'It's really difficult right now but I want people to know that she will always be loved. I will never forget her.'
Joslyne's friend Beverly Brebner also paid tribute to the 'genuine, kind and loving' teenager.
The 21-year-old said: 'I will miss her so much. She had done so much for me.'
A police spokeswoman said: 'At 9.20am on Sunday, March 21, police received a report of the sudden death of an 18-year-old woman in Newcastle General Hospital. A report has been prepared for the coroner.'
March 26, 2010
Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
Another Teen Dies From Mephedrone