1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Australian Federal Police Seize 240 Kilograms of Cocaine

Rating:
4/5,
  1. Balzafire
    Australian police have seized more than 240 kilograms of cocaine worth some A$84 million in what is being described as the fifth-largest such seizure in the nation’s history, Sky News reported on its website.

    The cocaine was found in paving stones moved in shipping containers from Mexico, the report said.

    As part of a police operation, the cocaine was replaced and the shipment was delivered to a warehouse near Melbourne before the paving stones supposedly containing the drugs where separated from real paving stones, the report said. The shipment was then allegedly moved to Sydney where it was delivered to a home, Sky News said.

    Four men have been arrested and charged, the Australian Federal Police said in a news release.

    Bloomberg Sky News: By Iain Wilson - Jul 12, 2010
    Link

Comments

  1. buseman
    Huge cocaine haul found in stone pavers


    Four men from Australia, Mexico and the US have been charged after Customs officers found 240 kilograms of cocaine inside stone pavers.

    The pavers containing $84 million worth of cocaine wrapped in brown tape were inside two shipping containers sent from Mexico to Port Melbourne last month.

    Police say they have disrupted a major South American crime syndicate with the seizure of cocaine, which they say is the fifth-largest in Australian history.

    Customs officers say they found the drugs at Port Melbourne a month ago, after a police investigation lasting several months.

    The cocaine was then replaced with another substance, in an operation involving New South Wales and Victorian police, Customs officers and Federal Police.

    Police say they watched on as the shipment was later delivered to a warehouse in Moorabbin, in south-east Melbourne.

    They say a 25-year-old Mexican man picked out the pavers that he thought contained drugs and then transported them to Baulkham Hills, in north-west Sydney, 10 days ago.

    He was arrested the next day and charged with trying to import a commercial quantity of drugs.

    Two days later, on Tuesday last week, two Australian men were arrested as they allegedly tried to pick up 30 kilograms of the cocaine in the south-east Sydney suburb of Mascot.

    The men, aged 24 and 25, have been charged with trying to possess a commercial quantity of drugs.

    Police say American man Teodoro Chavez helped organise the distribution from his home in Baulkham Hills.

    Chavez faced Sydney's Central Local Court today charged with attempting to possess and conspiring to supply some of the drugs.

    The 31-year-old was refused bail and ordered to face court again in September.

    The director of the NSW Police organised crime directorate, Detective Chief Superintendent Ken McKay, says officers are still trying to track down the head of the syndicate behind the haul, who is believed to be based overseas.

    From our intelligence, there's a number of people very hopeful of this importation being successful. This will hurt them... he said.

    We'll make further inquiries to see if we can't track them down both here and overseas with our overseas partners as well.

    Until the head's taken off, it's never over. These people will come back at us. The profit margins are too great not to.

    The other three men charged over the haul have been refused bail to face court at various dates over the next two months.


    July 13, 2010
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/07/13/2951800.htm?site=southwestvic
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!