1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
  1. Terrapinzflyer
    Australian man nabbed in $30 million drug bust in Bali
    AN Australian man arrested in Bali on the weekend was the target of a NSW police operation which seized drugs with a potential street value of $30 million and smashed a European drug syndicate importing ecstasy to Australia.

    Timothy Geoffrey Lee, 44, was arrested on Saturday by Indonesian police at the request of Australian authorities, who said he was wanted to face charges in NSW. In documents he was described as possibly being "armed, dangerous and addicted to drugs".

    Documents sent to Indonesian police by the Australian Federal Police, requesting his arrest, said that Lee was a target of NSW Crime Commission's Operation Lanyard, in regard to supplying a commercial quantity of drugs, MDMA, and using proceeds of crime.

    Operation Lanyard seized drugs with a street value of $30 million in 2006, including 1kg of cocaine, 45kg of MDMA, 11kg of MDMA powder, 45 litres of MDMA oil and $200,000 cash.

    Lee, who had been living in Kuta, is now in jail at Denpasar's police headquarters, where he denies any involvement in drugs.

    Yesterday he was visited by his lawyer, Erwin Siregar, and his parents, who it is understood are retired in Bali.

    Mr Siregar said his client maintained he was not involved with drugs and had never been found guilty of anything. He said when police searched Lee's home in Bali they found no evidence of any drugs.

    Lee was also the subject of an Interpol Red Notice, seeking his arrest. This document showed three photographs of Lee and underneath it had the words: "Warning: This person may be armed, dangerous and addicted to drugs."

    The notice includes a section of judicial information which alleges that Lee was involved in supplying a commercial quantity of a prohibited drug and dealing with the proceeds of criminal offences.

    It goes on to say that on June 17 and July 1, 2006 that police seized drugs including 1kg of cocaine, MDMA powder, 45 litres of MDMA oil and equipment used in the process of pressing powder into tablets.

    The document says that about July 8, 2006 Lee left Melbourne for Bali.

    In a letter dated November 9 last year the Australian Federal Police requested their Balinese counterparts to arrest Lee.

    It said: "Lee left Australia before he was arrested and then travelled to Indonesia and finally he is presumed to be living in Bali. A request for his extradition to Australia has been sent to the Government of Indonesia through the Attorney-General.

    "When Lee is found he is to be arrested and returned to NSW where he will be charged with violations as follows," the letter says.

    The letter goes on to say that Lee's activities in Indonesia are unknown and that recently he has had contact via email with someone in Australia.

    Lee was arrested on Saturday as he walked his dog in Canggu, a suburb north of Kuta. He has both Australian and British passports and was living in Bali on a visa which is valid until September this year.

    In order for Lee to be extradited to Australia he must first face a court hearing and then the extradition must be approved by Indonesia's President, in a process which could take up to a year.

    By Cindy Wockner and and Komang Suriad
    From: The Daily Telegraph
    January 12, 2010



  1. Terrapinzflyer
    Police capture Australian fugitive

    Bali Police have arrested a man the Australian Federal Police (AFP) have been hunting since 2008 for alleged drug trafficking.

    Bali Police chief Insp. Gen. Sutisna announced the arrest on Monday.

    The police began searching for 44-year-old Timothy Geoffrey Lee, after receiving Red Notice from the AFP in early November last year.

    In the letter, the AFP asked the Indonesia National Police to arrest Lee and extradite him. Detecting Lee’s whereabouts, the federal police discovered the suspect had left for Bali and was residing on the resort island, but still frequently returned to Australia.

    “We request that Lee be listed on immigration alert to prevent him fleeing from Indonesia.

    Immediately after the Indonesian National Police find Lee, he should be arrested and returned to New South Wales, where he will be tried for allegedly supplying commercial quantities of a prohibited drug and money laundering,” the federal police wrote in the letter.

    The letter also stated that Lee, born in West Yorkshire in the UK on June 9, 1965, holds both Australian and British passports.

    Bali Police chief Insp. Gen. Sutisna said Lee was arrested last Saturday in Banjar Tegal Gundul, North Kuta.

    The police also confiscated some documents belonging to the suspect, including an Australian passport, three passports issued by the UK, a KITAS (temporary stay permit), an NPWP document (taxpayer registration number) and a foreigner supervision book. “Lee has been a fugitive in Australia since 2008. He frequently made the Australia-Bali round trip,” Sutisna said.

    Currently, Lee is being questioned at the Bali Police headquarters.

    Sutisna previously said the Bali Police would immediately arrange Lee’s extradition to New South Wales with the AFP, but later confirmed that Lee would first stand trial here for violating the extradition law.

    “The suspect should be tried here first because he violated the extradition law. It will take time before the suspect is extradited. He will only be sent back after the court makes its ruling,” Bali Police spokesman Sr. Comr. Gde Sugianyar said on Tuesday.

    However, Lee’s lawyer Erwin Siregar said the suspect should be extradited right away because he had not committed any offense in Indonesia. “My client has not committed any crimes in Indonesia, thus he could be extradited without being tried here,” he said.

    Head of the Bali Police’s Drugs and Narcotics Department Sr. Comr. Kokot Indarto said the suspect had violated the 1985 Drug Misuse and Trafficking Law as he had brought a large quantity of crystal methamphetamine and the proceeds of allegedly laundered money.

    “He is allegedly involved in an Australian drug ring because he trafficked a significant amount of a prohibited drug,” Kokot said.

    The AFP noted in its letter that Lee left Melbourne for Bali in July 2006. In the same month, the federal police seized 1 kilogram of cocaine, 44 kilograms of MDMA in tablet and powder form, 45 liters of MDMA oil, as well as equipment used in the process of salting out MDMA oil and pressing powder into tablets.

    The federal police said it had yet to reveal Lee’s activities in Indonesia, but identified that Lee had contacted someone in Australia through email in October 2008. The investigation revealed that on Oct. 17, Lee opened an email using an Internet protocol address accessed in Jakarta. On Oct. 18, the fugitive opened another email in Denpasar.

    After tracing the Internet protocol address, the police found that it belonged to a restaurant in Seminyak, Kuta.

    The AFP believe that Lee is a drug user, who manages a tourism-related business around Kuta or Legian. “He might be someone dangerous and he might possess a weapon.”

    The Australian police also checked Lee’s passports and discovered the fugitive submitted an application to renew his passport using the address of Tony’s Villa in Seminyak. After the passport was issued, it was sent to the Krakatau Business Center in Seminyak upon Lee’s request.

    Desy Nurhayati ,
    The Jakarta Post ,
    Wed, 01/13/2010

  2. Terrapinzflyer
    Timothy Geoffrey Lee's extradition on alleged $30 million ecstasy bust approved by court in Bali
    A BALI court has approved the extradition of Australian Timothy Geoffrey Lee to Sydney to face charges relating to a $30 million ecstasy bust.

    Judge Daniel Palittin, in Denpasar District Court, granted the extradition today, saying that the Australian Government's request had been fulfilled and that the alleged crime for which he is wanted in NSW is on the list of extradictable offences.

    Later this week Lee is expected to spend his first night at Bali's Kerobokan Jail which is already home to 11 other Australians including Schapelle Corby and the Bali Nine.

    Until now Lee has been held at the jail cells at Bali's police headquarters in Denpasar where his lawyers said he was living in difficult and harsh conditions in a crowded cell.

    Members of the Bali Nine heroin gang, three of whom are on death row, are all held in one cell block known as the Tower Block.

    Another Australian, Robert McJannett, who was arrested in late December, allegedly with 1.7 grams of marijuana in his luggage, is also in Kerobokan Jail awaiting his trial.

    Lee, 44, who maintains his innocence, was supported at today's hearing by his mother who lives in Bali. He did not make any comment.

    Lee, a dual Australian and British passport holder, was arrested in Bali, where he was living, in early January at the request of Australian police who told their Indonesian counterparts he was wanted for trial in NSW on charges of allegedly supplying a commercial quantity of prohibited drug and dealing with proceeds of crime.

    Documents sent to authorities in Indonesia to support the arrest and extradition said the charges relate to Operation Lanyard - a NSW police operation which smashed a European drug syndicate importing ecstasy to Australia and which seized drugs with a street value of $30 million, including 1kg of cocain, 45kg of MDMA, 11kg of MDMA powder, 45 litres of MDMA oil and $200,000 cash.

    However the court decision, that he should be extradited, is the start of what will be a long process and he is not expected to be sent home for some time yet. His extradition must now be approved by Indonesia's President, Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono, and Lee is expected to be in prison in Bali for many months yet.

    Extradition between Australia and Indonesia is a lengthy process and another Australian man, whose extradition has been approved, has been jailed in Jakarta for more than a year already awaiting extradition.

    Lee and his lawyers had attempted to waive the need for the formal extradition and long wait by agreeing to voluntarily return to Australian in the company of Australian Federal Police officers however this was denied.

    In a handwritten letter to authorities, Lee said: "I would like to say that I agree voluntarily to go to Australia without the extradition process. I write this statement without duress from anyone. And I declare that I am not guilty of the charges made against me.''

    And his Australian lawyers wrote to Attorney-General Robert McClelland saying that Lee would return to Australia voluntarily.

    They said that Lee was entitled to a presumption of innocence and that the conditions in which he is held are harsh.

    In addition to delays in him leaving Indonesia they pointed out that he would spend up to three more years for him to be dealt with through the local and district courts of NSW.

    "It could mean that Mr Lee's journey through the justice systems of Indonesia and NSW could take up to 4 years before he knows his fate,'' lawyer Paul Hardin said in the letter.

    By Cindy Wockner and Komang Suriadi
    The Daily Telegraph
    February 22, 2010 6:12PM

  3. Terrapinzflyer
    Indonesia rushes through extradition of accused Aussie drug-smuggler

    AN Australian linked to a $30 million drug-importing syndicate has had his extradition from Indonesia processed in record time.

    Timothy Geoffrey Lee, 44, was arrested in January on a request from NSW Police as part of Operation Lanyard, which seized cocaine and MDMA with a street value of $30m, as well as $200,000 cash.

    Mr Lee's Indonesian lawyer, Erwin Siregar, yesterday said the extradition process had been sped up from what could have been expected to have been an 18-month wait, and his client was now to be flown to Sydney under police escort on July 8.

    "I've received a phone call that the President (Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono) has signed the documentation . . . so it's official," Mr Siregar said. "I've also received the phone calls from Bali police headquarters; now it's just a matter of receiving the documents (for his release into the custody of Australian officials)."

    Mr Lee, a dual Australian and British passport holder who also had Indonesian residency, was detained in Bali's Kerobokan jail since the extradition request was approved in February. Other Australians in that facility are marijuana courier Schapelle Corby and the Bali Nine heroin-runners.

    Stephen Fitzpatrick
    June 26, 2010 12:00AM

To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!