1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Boy aged 12 critically ill after drinking full bottle of 'poppers' drug

  1. ZenobiaSky
    20789.jpg A 12-year-old boy fell critically ill after he drank a full bottle of the liquid solvent known as 'poppers'. The schoolboy was sold the liquid at a shop after thinking it was an 'energy shot' drink. The bottle was labelled as 'liquid gold' – a commonly-used name for the 'legal high' poppers. It is a slang term for a liquid chemical known as amyl nitrite.

    The chemical is used medically as an antidote to cyanide poisoning. It is usually sniffed. Poppers are often taken alongside illegal drugs in nightclubs.

    As reported by the Manchester Evening News, police have now launched an urgent investigation but the shop hasn't been named.

    Writing on Twitter , police in Sale, near Manchester, said: “We have had an incident in Sale recently where a shop has sold an 'air odorizer' called liquid gold to a 12-year-old child.

    “Liquid gold contains a substance called amyl nitrate, which when inhaled can give you a slight high but if drank it can be fatal.

    “He has swallowed the contents of the bottle, which looks similar to the energy shot bottles, and become seriously ill. Luckily he has now recovered.

    “The shop concerned is under investigation by ourselves at the moment.”

    Police are now appealing for witnesses.

    The youngster is believed to be recovering from his ordeal.

    Inhaling poppers dilates blood vessels and allows more blood to get to the heart.

    Use of the solvent has been known to cause chemical burns, painful rashes and irritation of the nose and throat.

    Poppers are not illegal under the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 but shops can be fined.

    Mirror News Jan 20, 2014 21:48 By Paul Britton
    http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/poppers-boy-sale-critically-ill-3042452?

Comments

  1. Enlightenment
    They need to find out specifically who sold that bottle to the kid. That is a horribly disturbing post. There's something inside of me that hopes that it was an honest mistake and a series of unfortunate events that led to this (maybe the salesperson also mistaking that bottle for an energy shot), but there's also a part of me that thinks this is probably, most likely blatant disregard and sadism on the salesperson's part. Unless 12 year old kids are doing poppers these days? I don't know... can anyone attest to that? If they were hopefully they'd know not to drink it. I suppose I have heard of kids of similar age buying weed and eating it raw thinking that's how you get high. Curious to hear how this filters out...!
  2. CohibaKid
    Yes, Something is wrong here. They wont even let you in the door to the places that sell poppers here in the states.

    I can actually maybe see why the kid thought it looked like a "5 hour" type of energy drink and don't blame him all. if he had ever tried poppers in the past, he would have instinctively known how powerful the liquid is.

    And I think I tried my first Amyl Cap at 14, they used to come in a "capsule" you cracked and inhaled. They were STRONG! back in the day.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!