Death of DJ AM Is Ruled an Accidental Overdose
The New York medical examiner’s office ruled on Tuesday that the disc jockey Adam Goldstein, better known by his stage name, DJ AM, died from an accidental overdose of prescription drugs and cocaine, The Associated Press reported.
Mr. Goldstein, a fixture of the Los Angeles club scene and the celebrity party circuit, was found dead in his Manhattan apartment on Aug. 28. At that time, police discovered him face-down in his bed wearing only sweatpants, with a crack pipe and prescription drugs nearby. The medical examiner’s toxicology report said that Mr. Goldstein had ingested OxyContin, Hydrocodone or Vicodin, Xanax, Ativan, Klonopin, Benadryl and Levamisole before his death, according to The A.P.
Mr. Goldstein had said in interviews in recent years that he abused cocaine and crack in his 20s but had since cleaned up, and recently taped a reality series for MTV called “Gone Too Far,” in which he helped set up interventions for drug abusers. MTV has not yet said whether it will broadcast the series.
By Dave Itzkoff
September 29, 2009, 12:29 pm
Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.