Death shows danger of internet drug buying
26 May 2007
NZ city News
National is raising concerns about buying prescription medicines online after a Blenheim man died as a result of overdosing on anti-depressants he had purchased from India on the internet.
It is illegal in New Zealand to have prescription-only medicines which have not been obtained with a prescription. Marlborough's coroner has expressed concern the pills in the Blenheim case made it through the mail system and past Customs.
National's Associate Health spokeswoman Dr Jackie Blue says people can import drugs, but need to prove to Customs they have been prescribed by a doctor.
She says it is a concern this did not happen in the Blenheim case. Dr Blue says with a proliferation of drug advertising in the form of spam email, people are likely to try to buy more medication online. She is calling for an education programme on the dangers of self-medicating.
Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.