<TABLE cellPadding=2 width="100%">
<TD vAlign=center width="100%" background=http://i1.bluelight.nu/p/10.gif bgColor=#e8e8f1>Former Dj Died after Taking Ecstasy 04-06-2004 04:58</TD>
<TD align=right bgColor=#e8e8f1>(#1989473)</TD></TR></T></TABLE>
<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width="100%">
<TD>Former Dj Died after Taking Ecstasy, Inquest Told
By Antony Stone, PA News
A coroner warned of the dangers of ecstasy today after hearing how a former DJ collapsed and died after taking the illicit drug at a nightclub.
Adam Green, 21, of Lougher, Swansea, South Wales, was rushed to hospital but died despite strenuous efforts to save his life.
A Swansea inquest heard today that the insurance salesman had mixed a strong antidepressant with the illicit drug to create a lethal combination which killed him.
Green collapsed at city nightclub Escape in the early hours of June 16 last year, the day after his mother was due to take him back to Nuneaton, where he grew up.
Detective Inspector Anthony Meyrick told the inquest a sobbing Mr Green had telephoned his mother, Amanda Cross, 11 days earlier.
“He said that he had been taking pills to make him happy although at that time she did not know what type of pills he was referring to,” said DI Meyrick.
He said that during the call her son told her he had just appeared at a magistrates’ court where he had been banned from driving for 12 months and fined £100 for fraudulent use of a tax disc.
She told him to “keep his chin up” and arranged to come to collect him and to bring him home on June 15.
The inquest heard that Adam had previously been living with a girlfriend, Joanne Todd, and her parents in Tamworth, Staffordshire.
He had accompanied the family to Swansea when they moved to Lougher to take over the community’s post office.
But he had grown increasingly moody and unhappy and had moved in with a friend in the weeks before his death, after which up to £1,000 was found to be missing from the post office.
The inquest also heard that he had borrowed £500 from a local loan firm after his court convictions.
Friend William Davies, from Gowerton, near Swansea, gave evidence today outlining how he and Adam had bought and taken ecstasy on the night he died.
He told the court that he himself would take up to six tablets of the illicit drug a night.
On the night in question, they had gone together to the nightclub Escape after attending a barbecue.
Adam, who had recently got back together with his girlfriend, was happy and excited to attend the club and later bought six ecstasy tablets.
He had given three to Mr Davies, who had taken all three together, never having consumed so many in one go before.
Later, he had discovered Adam shivering on a sofa in the club’s “rest room” and tried to speak to him without success.
Adam was later removed by club bouncers and initially taken to Swansea’s Singleton Hospital in a comatose state. He was later transferred to nearby Morriston Hospital, where he died.
Blood toxicology tests revealed a combination of the antidepressant amitriptyline and ecstasy in his system.
A second test, based on hair cuttings, established that his body contained enough ecstasy to confirm he was a regular user. It is not known where he had bought the antidepressant.
Pathologist Anthony Griffiths told the inquest that Mr Green had died of multi-organ failure as a result of an adverse reaction to ecstasy.
“Its mode of action is such that the concomitant use of the antidepressant, amitriptyline, can be expected to potentiate its adverse effects,” he told the inquest.
Swansea coroner Philip Green said a verdict of accidental death or misadventure would not be appropriate in the circumstances.
He said tests had shown that Adam was a regular user of ecstasy and he recorded a verdict of misuse of drugs.
He added: “I would like to express my condolences to his family.
“I think that we have heard something today that we should all take serious note of and maybe something has been learned of the dangers of ecstasy this afternoon.”
“you never know what it is, it could be ecstasy, or, it could be some other form of ecstasy." (DITM quote of the year'03)
Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.