MILLIE, an 11-month-old border collie, is lucky to be alive after eating "magic mushrooms", her local vet said.
The Olding family found their beloved pet sitting under a tree and shaking violently.
"She wouldn't come to us and she was distressed," Tony Olding said.
He took Millie to a Joe Daley, a vet in Lindfield - a suburb in north-western Sydney - who said: "Millie was nervous, frothing at the mouth, shaking all over and unable to stand."
Suspecting a toxin, such as fox bait, he flushed her system and found mushroom material in her stomach.
"These can have a hallucinogenic effect, so we sedated Millie heavily while the toxin left her system," Mr Daley said.
He said that while dogs affected by "marijuana poisoning was relatively common", dogs eating "magic mushrooms" was unusual.
Millie may have found the mushrooms near a creek in the Oldings' backyard. After two days under observation, Millie returned home to Mr Olding, wife Caroline Olding and their children Angus, 14, and Sophie, 13.
Mr Olding said that Millie started acting strangely around lunchtime on a Friday afternoon a couple of weeks ago and "had a very high temperature, she was shaking uncontrollably and we had to catch her to bundle her in the car".
Mr Daley said that pet owners had to remember that young dogs were "like toddlers" and would "eat anything".
PLAY NewsVideo report, it's the best part.
heraldsun October 26, 2011
Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
Dog survives bad trip on magic mushrooms