1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
  1. Docta
    MILLIE, an 11-month-old border collie, is lucky to be alive after eating "magic mushrooms", her local vet said.

    The Olding family found their beloved pet sitting under a tree and shaking violently.

    "She wouldn't come to us and she was distressed," Tony Olding said.

    He took Millie to a Joe Daley, a vet in Lindfield - a suburb in north-western Sydney - who said: "Millie was nervous, frothing at the mouth, shaking all over and unable to stand."

    Suspecting a toxin, such as fox bait, he flushed her system and found mushroom material in her stomach.

    "These can have a hallucinogenic effect, so we sedated Millie heavily while the toxin left her system," Mr Daley said.

    He said that while dogs affected by "marijuana poisoning was relatively common", dogs eating "magic mushrooms" was unusual.

    Millie may have found the mushrooms near a creek in the Oldings' backyard. After two days under observation, Millie returned home to Mr Olding, wife Caroline Olding and their children Angus, 14, and Sophie, 13.

    Mr Olding said that Millie started acting strangely around lunchtime on a Friday afternoon a couple of weeks ago and "had a very high temperature, she was shaking uncontrollably and we had to catch her to bundle her in the car".

    Mr Daley said that pet owners had to remember that young dogs were "like toddlers" and would "eat anything".


    PLAY NewsVideo report, it's the best part.

    heraldsun October 26, 2011
    http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mi...-magic-mushrooms/story-e6frf7jo-1226175485954

Comments

  1. Balzafire
    Aren't dogs color blind? I'll bet her trip was interesting, to say the least.
  2. Docta
    No Balza dogs are not colorblind, there color field consists mostly of yellows, blues, and violets so I expect it was quite a colorful experience.
  3. mrsolearyscow
    Huh, weed is toxic to dogs. I never knew that. I guess they don't need it though, since they act like they're high all the time anyway.
  4. psyche
    It's not toxic. It's just a perscpective on effects emphasizing accidental ingestion of any mind altering substance. It makes more sense if the effects are unpleasent, though, which cannabis most likely isn't if the dose isn't too high. But unlike cannabis, cocaine & heroine, animals don't enjoy psychedelics. That's a privilidge of human race.
  5. staples
    While true, canine eyes do not have a fovea like the human eye, meaning their cones are not concentrated in the center of the dog's field-of-vision, but instead more evenly distributed on the retina (and therefore the visual information from any part of a canine's visual field is saturated with information from 100 rods and only about 5 cones). So even though canines are technically deuteranopes (i.e, red-green color blind), it should be noted that they are not nearly as sensitive to the frequencies of light/have much poorer visual acuity than a human with deuteranopia.

    Here is a likely comparison between dog and human vision:

    [imgl=#DDDDDD;border:5px ridge #5C7099;border-radius:1em;float:none;display:block;padding:2px]http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22912&stc=1&d=1319635707[/imgl][size=-2]Image credit: Dr. Mark Plonsky[/size]​

    The evolutionary advantage of favoring rods, of course, is night vision, which makes sense because dogs are nocturnal hunters. Excellent color vision is useful for determining e.g., when fruit is ripe whereas poorer color vision and acuity of detail is actually helpful in spotting comouflaged prey.

    Of course, rhodopsin (the photochemical found in rods) is much more sensitive to lower levels of light than the opsins involved in color-vision, which is why nocturnal hunters typically have a reflective surface behind the retina called the Tapetum Lucidum. This structure helps canines use their color vision even in low-light situations, however most people are probably familiar with it's ability to ruin otherwise-adorable pictures--the ones where they get their pup to look directly at the camera. The unsuspecting photographer either enabled flash or let the camera automatically determine if a flash is necessary, but either way, this often has the effect of making the puppy look more possessed than adorable:

    [imgl=#EF2F4D;border:5px ridge #EF2F4D;border-radius:1em;float:none;display:block;padding:2px]http://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=22913&stc=1&d=1319638938[/imgl][size=-2]Photograph credit: My fiancé[/size]​

    Toxicity in dogs is about half (mg/kg) as that of human, I think. The effects are likely very unpleasant to the dog, at least during certain periods of intoxication. The military compiled a report for the toxicity and treatment of various substances in canines (for dogs employed to sniff out drugs--apparently it is common enough that the dog doesn't just sniff them out). The information provided seems in accordance with the (admittedly few, but conclusively consistent) research I've read--initial symptoms are typically characteristic of (usually vocalized) excitement, but soon follows typical symptoms of unusual/accidental urination, defecation, and most commonly retching or actual vomiting. Shortly following pupil dilation, the canine becomes ataxic, tries strongly to remain in one spot, and begins to display signs that one might associate with sleepiness (slowly lowering the head only to eventually jerk back up into a presumably more attentive state), but no evidence has demonstrated a particularly hypnotic effect from cannabis in the canine. Finally, the dog usually exhibits useless but relentless scratching (usually a sign of discomfort or nervousness), and as effects wear off, the dog may finally be able to sleep for as long as 24 hours. No physiological response would suggest that these effects are pleasant to the canine.



    Moving back on to the main topic though: I need to show this article to my friend, he doesn't really keep an eye on his dog when walking her--she often eats grass until I yell at her (and he wonders why she throws up). I've never given my dog anything not prescribed by a vet (which is not to say that the vet has always made the best calls, but that's another story). I refused to let my roommate give him even a beer-bottle-cap-full of beer.
  6. psyche
    ^^ Thanks for pointing that out. I just relied on general habit of potheads to 'smoke up' their pets which seem to like it, in which case the dose is much lower.
  7. Meray420
    That dog is a badass,
  8. Meray420
    whoops i meant to add: i wonder what the experience was actually like?prolly didnt feel so good for the lil fella
  9. Greenport
    I've heard stories of pets consuming magic mushrooms before. In at least one I read, the dog's general mode of behavior changed significantly after the trip. From what I remember, the dog became quiet and shy, generally wanting to be away from people or other animals as much as possible.

    Not saying anything specific, since I can't remember the details of this story, but this could mimic human effects to heavy psychedelic use. Those who use psychedelics heavily (I'm of course talking often, and/or in large amounts) tend to shy away from human interaction over time. While this effect doesn't seem to be as noted for people who use proper dosages of psychedelics and give enough time between trips to 'maintain a level head', one must consider that a dog probably experiences much more per amount of psiloc(yb)in than a human would - certainly because of a dog's overall weight compared to a human, and probably because of differences in metabolism between the two species. A 'normal' dosage of mushrooms to a human could very well be an extremely strong and confusing experience to a dog - especially considering that dogs aren't born with the mental capacity that humans are.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!