Drinking And Dynamite Don't Mix
May 26, 2006
By KOMO Staff
SEATTLE - Three men are in the hospital with serious injuries after a fireworks accident Thursday.
Investigators say the victims were part of a group of 10 or 12 construction workers having a barbeque at the KOA campground off Highway 12 in Lewis County.
One of the men came over to the campfire and showed off a powerful firework that was about 5 inches long and an inch thick. Another man tossed it into the fire, but it failed to light, so he reached in to the fire to retrieve it, police say.
A family member told KOMO 4 News another man tried to stop him from grabbing in, and in the process, the device went off.
Police say those two men lost their hand in the explosion, and suffered other head and facial injuries. They were both airlifted to Harborview Medical Center in Seattle. Both men were said to be in their early 40s.
A third man who was walking nearby was also suffered head injuries and possibly an eye fracture. He was taken to Centralia Providence Hospital.
Investigators believe the two men had been drinking.
Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.