Girl dies from tring to get high with Anti-Depressants inquests says
A pretty teenage girl died from serotonin levels four times higher than the prescribed limit after taking a handful of anti-depressants in an attempt to "get wrecked".
Rosa-Marie Young had 14 millilitres of the chemical per litre of blood, the highest prescribed dose is four, an inquest heard.
The 16-year-old took at least five pills by throwing them in her mouth and swigging back Stella Artois lager at her friend's house in Weston-super-Mare on July 12 last year.
Rosa-Marie, who was about to start a drama college course, had already smoked cannabis before taking the pills, which were prescribed to her ex-boyfriend Alex Malakooti, 23.
She woke up in the early hours of the morning fitting and foaming from the mouth in what pathologist Dr Hugh White described as serotonin syndrome at the inquest into her death.
Serotonin syndrome is experienced by people who have taken selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors which aim to counter depression by raising levels of the naturally occurring brain chemical. Deputy coroner Tony Woodburn recorded a verdict of death by misadventure.
Her mother, Eileen Huxley-Duggan, 43, was serving a four-year prison sentence for possession of drugs with intent to supply when Rosa-Marie took the pills, known as imipramine and moclobemide.
Her friend Amy Graham, who lived at the flat, said that Rosa-Marie had taken ecstasy, speed and cocaine in the past. "She said she wanted to get wrecked because she was depressed but she was looking forward to her mum coming out of prison," Miss Graham said in a statement at Flax Bourton Coroners Court.
Mrs Huxley-Duggan, who started delivering drugs to clear her own £2,000 drug debt, was allowed to leave prison to be at her hospital bedside.
She said her daughter's death from drugs had been heartbreaking.
Source - http://www.google.com/hostednews/ukpress/article/ALeqM5gI-8kkhQjSrIYZgWPldCzse-8gtg
Copyright © 2009 The Press Association. All rights reserved.