1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
  1. Terrapinzflyer
    Drug user dies after 'horse tranquiliser' overdose
    A drug user died after overdosing on ketamine – a substance normally used as a horse tranquilliser.

    Mark Anthony Smith, aged 40, was found dead by friends in his mobile home in Tyne Road, near Weedon Road industrial estate, on December 13, an inquest in Northampton heard yesterday.

    Coroner Anne Pember recorded a verdict of accidental death, adding: "This was an untimely death. One would have hoped he would have many more years ahead of him."

    Terry Bogg, service director for CAN Northampton Adult Services, which provides drug, alcohol and homelessness services throughout Northamptonshire, said the drug was primarily used socially.

    He said: "Ketamine has been around in Northampton for years. It's a clubbing drug.

    "It isn't unusual for young people to mention it in passing, but it tends to be mixed with other drugs. It is rare for it to be used as someone's primary drug. It's also a very dangerous drug. Users develop a tolerance to it, which means they need more and more."

    He said that, from the 30-40 people the organisation saw each day, about one person a week reported using ketamine.

    Mr Smith's sister, Wendy Carter, said: "He was a lovable, likable lad."

    She described Mr Smith, a fitness enthusiast, as a sociable family man who would dress up as Father Christmas during the festive period for the local community.

    Mrs Carter added that in the months leading up to his death, her brother had become increasingly anxious regarding his financial state and lack of a fixed address.

    The inquest heard how he was prevented from seeing his four children because of his drug use.

    Concerns were raised when no one had seen or heard from Mr Smith for several days. When his friends went to check on him, they found he had died.


    Last Updated: 12 November 2009 10:25 AM
    Source: Northampton Chron & Echo
    Location: Northampton


    http://www.northamptonchron.co.uk/news/Drug-user-dies-after-39horse.5817788.jp

Comments

  1. EscapeDummy


    Swim never understood this. Even his friends know Ketamine as "that horse tranquilizer drug". Why? As far as swim knows, the most common use of ketamine that an average person would be familiar with is a dental anaesthetic in children, for wisdom tooth removal and the like...
  2. Coconut
    Absolutely. However, if we ignore this ridiculous myth which is found in almost all media reports about ketamine, there are still more problems with the article. The most glaring one is the details of this death:

    • What dose did he take? It is difficult to fatally overdose on ketamine.
    • How did he take it (IM/IV/insufflation/oral)?
    • Was there a toxicology report done? If not, how did the coroner know it was ketamine?
    • What was the actual cause of death? Cardiac arrest? Respiratory arrest?
    These are questions which must be answered, in my opinion.
  3. Terrapinzflyer

    The turtles aardvark is no expert, but in his experience it seems ketamine has only recently come into play as accepted medical practice in humans (in the US). Throughout the 80's and 90's it was known mostly as a veterinary tranquilizer.
  4. Coconut
    Ketamine was first developed in the US during the early 60s, specifically to replace phencyclidine (PCP) for human use, and it was widely used during the Vietnam War.
  5. enquirewithin
    ^ That's correct. Ketamine has a long history of use as a general anesthetic in humans. It is also used a general anesthetic for animals, not as a tranquilizer. It is one of the safest general anesthetics, but is not used much because patients because patients complain about the effects when 'emerging' from it.

    There are other threads about ketamine overdoses. They are extremely rare as it is very hard to take enough ketamine to OD, especially when sniffed. This story can't be taken seriously.
  6. cra$h
    Thought it was nearly impossible to OD on K. The only way it could kill you is if it effects the hind brain (medulla, limbic system, cerebellum, etc.). Then again, not too sure on what parts of the brain are effected by ketamine.

    It sounds like they only found ketamine when they found the body, and they even said that it's often mixed with other drugs. Plus not too many peoples D.O.C. is k, and this man has drug history. I bet he had a lil something else that helped this tradgedy.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!