A Maine man died over the holiday weekend when fireworks he was trying to launch off of his head exploded.
The Bangor Daily News reported that 22-year-old Devon Staples was drinking with friends to celebrate the Fourth of July holiday when the accident occurred.
Maine Department of Public Safety spokesperson Stephen McCausland said that Staples placed a mortar tube on his head at around 10 p.m. and set it off. Staples was reportedly killed instantly from a fatal head injury caused by the explosion.
Staples Facebook page identified his profession as self-employed “Dog Trainer, Dog walker, Dog Sitter, Dog Lover, Doggy Daycare.”
According to The Bangor Daily News, Staples’ death was the first fatality since Maine legalized fireworks in 2012.
McCausland said that several other injuries and cases of property damage due to fireworks were reported over the July Fourth holiday, including burns and eye injuries.
July 5, 2015
Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.