1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.

Family Sues Denver Police Over Death of Family Member Who a 911 Call for Help Failed

  1. Beenthere2Hippie
    COLORADO - A Denver woman who was found fatally beaten more than six hours after a neighbor first called 911 for help might have survived if dispatchers had sent police sooner, her family said in a federal lawsuit filed Monday that cites "a pattern of inadequate 911 dispatching."

    It took more than an hour for dispatchers to send officers to the home of Loretta Barela, 44, after her neighbor called 911 on Nov. 18, 2012. The neighbor, who told dispatchers she saw a man hitting shirtless Barela and dragging her across the street, called a second time when police had not arrived 45 minutes later. Officers left when there was no response to a knock on her door.

    Police found Barela's body after her husband called 911 to say he had killed her. Christopher Perea was later convicted of her murder.

    Dispatchers ignored the urgency of the neighbor's calls reporting a life-threatening emergency, according to the lawsuit, which names the city of Denver, four 911 employees and two officers. It says dispatchers repeatedly reset a timer, which delayed sending officers to the scene.

    At least one dispatcher resigned pending further discipline in the case, which was among several recent problems at the 911 center.

    In April 2012, a 911 caller reporting a threatening situation was told Denver police wouldn't take a report unless he returned to city limits. He returned to Denver and was killed within blocks of the earlier incident.

    And this April, Denver police officials blamed their delayed response to a woman who was killed more than 12 minutes into a 911 call on a dispatcher who failed to relay information to officers about the gravity of the situation. Kristine Kirk frantically called 911 saying her husband was hallucinating after eating marijuana-infused candy and was getting a gun from a safe.

    The suit says the cases show "a widespread custom or policy of failing to identify and/or prioritize situations involving imminent danger or a life threatening emergency."

    City Attorney Scott Martinez said late Monday he had not seen the lawsuit and he could not comment.

    Officials made several changes to their response policies after Kirk's killing, including requiring dispatchers to give certain calls, such as those involving weapons, the highest priority. The new rules also give officers more authority to decide how to respond to calls in which a person is in imminent danger.

    The lawsuit involving Barela also says the officers, who knocked on the door and shone lights in the house, failed to thoroughly investigate before leaving 18 minutes after they arrived.

    By Sadie Gurman - AP/Nov. 17, 20`4
    Newshawk Crew

    Author Bio

    BT2H is a retired news editor and writer from the NYC area who, for health reasons, retired to a southern US state early, and where BT2H continues to write and to post drug-related news to DF.


To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!