A TOXIC batch of illicit drugs is causing "paranoia almost to the point of terror" for users from Fortitude Valley to Logan.
The Courier-Mail can reveal concerned ambulance crews warned police of the problem in the early hours of Sunday.
Sen-Sgt Geoff Marsh said the Queensland Ambulance Service had advised police that several people had collapsed in Fortitude Valley, possibly due to a toxic batch of fantasy.
Valley Liquor Accord chairman Danny Blair said police met three weeks ago with the precinct's licensees to discuss notorious illicit drugs fantasy and miaow miaow.
Fantasy, or Gamma-Hydroxybutyric acid (GHB/GBH), is a depressant and date-rape drug usually sold in liquid form but also as a powder or tablet.
Miaow miaow is a stimulant with the principal ingredient of mephedrone, usually sold as a powder, tablet or capsule.
"The police have recently been making us aware there is a bad batch of drugs popping up lately," Mr Blair said.
Lance Mergard, senior chaplain at voluntary organisation NightWatch, said the potentially fatal influx of the illegal drugs could be filling a gap left by a drought in the supply of ecstasy.
He said his team of carers witnessed at least three users in the Valley last weekend suffering from the apparently dirty batch and in need of being taken to hospital.
"My observations on the street are there is a bad batch because of the extreme physical and psychological effects," he said.
"In some, the paranoia is almost to the point of terror.
"They are more severe reactions and physical responses than what we generally see but it's different for everyone."
So far, symptoms of the toxic batch include loss of feeling in arms and legs, severe confusion and anxiety, and increased heart rate.
Mr Mergard said the potentially dirtier batch, cut with unknown toxic ingredients, was circulating more in Brisbane's south and Logan than in the Valley, and middle-class youngsters from 18 to 25 were the most common victims.
He pleaded with affected users to confess to carers the drug they had consumed because they could not be charged with possession after ingestion and that information could save them immense pain.
Queensland Health's acting executive director of Preventative Health, Mark West, said reports of the bad batch were a timely warning that all illicit drugs were dangerous and toxic to users.
August 02, 2010
Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.