US Pharm. 2012;37(5):1.
Silver Spring, MD—The FDA has issued a safety alert regarding the dangers of accidental exposure to and improper storage and disposal of the fentanyl patch, based on the number of young children who have died or become critically ill after exposure to the powerful pain reliever. There have been 26 cases of accidental exposure to fentanyl since 1997, mostly in children younger than 2 years, that resulted in death in 10 cases and hospitalization in 12 others. Children can be exposed to fentanyl by ingesting a discarded or improperly stored patch or sticking it onto their skin. Children are particularly susceptible to fentanyl overdose because they have not been previously exposed to this type of potent medication and are more vulnerable to its effects.
To comment on this article, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Original link: here.
Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.