1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
  1. Terrapinzflyer
    Fridge blast linked to drug-making

    Volatile substances used to make hash oil were responsible for the explosion of a fridge in a Calgary home, police say.

    Authorities were called to a home in the 2300 block of 51st Street N.E. following the explosion Tuesday afternoon. The blast blew off the fridge door and shattered windows.

    An injured man, one of two occupants of the house at the time of the blast, was taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries

    Later, a search of the house for explosives revealed pipes with cannabis, plastic bags containing marijuana, hashish resin and about $2,100 in cash.

    Officials initially said they might never know the cause of the explosion, but on Friday morning investigators said there appears to be a link between the explosion and the drug activity in the home.

    "Evidence found at the scene leads investigators to believe that the explosion was a result of extremely volatile and unstable substances, used in the production of hash oil, being stored in the refrigerator," police said in a release.

    A 27-year-old Calgary man has been charged with possession of drugs for the purpose of trafficking, and production and manufacturing drugs. He was also arrested on an outstanding warrant for possession of stolen property.


    Friday, January 8, 2010 | 11:26 AM MT
    CBC News


    http://www.cbc.ca/canada/calgary/story/2010/01/08/calgary-exploding-fridge-drugs.html

Comments

  1. Raoul duke420
    lol, So some cans of butane caused an explosion or something swim is guessin.....?
  2. Terrapinzflyer
    yea- this is at least the fifth butane/hash oil making explosion the turtle knows of since november. Some folks up north (CA) got burned real, real , real bad not too long ago...
  3. Pondlife
    Fridges and freezers are bad places to store volatile flammable solvents because the thermostat and door light switch make sparks that can ignite the vapour. My guess would be that the injured party opened the door and - kaboom.

    People sometimes think a freezer is a safe place to store flammable liquids because the low temperature reduces the vapour pressure and will be below the flash point. That's true for some solvents but not all.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!