Methadone given to help tot sleep, police report
A 4-year-old South Side girl was extremely critical last night after she was given methadone to help her sleep, police said.
The girl was at Nationwide Children's Hospital in life-threatening condition, but she was "hanging in there," said Columbus police Sgt. Eric Pilya.
Columbus police didn't release the child's name last night and said no one has been charged.
Columbus Fire paramedics were called to 520 Hinman Ave. around 2 p.m. yesterday because the child had gone into cardiac arrest, Pilya said.
The person who provided the methadone - a synthetic drug commonly used to help heroin addicts with withdrawal - was a family friend visiting from out of town.
The girl was sick and having trouble sleeping, the family told police.
The woman, who is 53 and from the Bronx, N.Y., suggested that methadone might help and gave the drug to the child, police said.
Police were interviewing the mother and the woman who provided the methadone last night.
The woman who provided the methadone has her name and prescription on the bottle. She has been cooperative, Pilya said.
Police were searching the South Side house to recover evidence last night.
Rebecca Alvarez, who lives across the street, watched while police officers and detectives went in and out of the house.
"I hope she makes it because she's a sweet little girl," Alvarez said.
Saturday, October 9, 2010 02:56 AM
BY JIM WOODS
THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH
Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
Girl, 4, Hospitalized with methadone overdose