Goa FDA probing source of drug consumed by Russian tourist
Panaji: Goa’s Food and drug Administration (FDA) department has launched a probe into the procurement of ketamine drug after a Russian traveller was found dead due to its overdose.
“We have written to the police asking for details of the ketamine found next to Russian’s body,” Salim Veljee, deputy director, FDA said this morning.
He said that only after getting more details, it would be possible to establish whether the ketamine was purchased in the state or brought in from elsewhere.
A 36-year-old Russian traveller, Tesla Vladislav, was found dead, last week, in a hotel at Calangute in North Goa. A bottle containing sizeable quantity of Ketamine which can double up as narcotics was found lying next to the body.
The Russian consulate last year had taken strong cognisance of its nationals dying in the coastal state of Goa on their vacations.
“We are monitoring the sale of ketamine at wholesalers' and retailers' level to curb the misuse. There are 10 to 12 wholesalers who deal in this drug used as anaesthesia,” Veljee said.
The state health authorities had recently cracked down on pharmacies illegally selling ketamine.
Sunday, November 15, 2009, 17:27 IST
Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.