1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.

Halloween candy in Levelland incident tests negative for meth

By buseman, Nov 8, 2010 | |
  1. buseman
    LEVELLAND - The Halloween candy and wrappers suspected in a boy's exposure to methamphetamine tested negative for the controlled substance.

    On Oct. 29, 4-year-old Jamie Chavez was hospitalized after he ate a piece of candy that reportedly came from the Levelland ISD Halloween festival, according to a Levelland police report.

    His blood tested positive for meth.Assistant Chief Tom McCain said lab results came back this morning and none of the candy, either from the school district and Chavez's family, was laced with meth.

    The police informed the school district of the incident and collected all the candy from the Halloween festivals for testing.

    McCain planned to meet with the detective on the case to determine their next step in the investigation.

    Jamie’s mother, Aurelia Palacios, told police she was in a dressing room of Cato’s Clothing Store between 1:10 and 1:31 p.m. when her daughter screamed that something was wrong with Jamie.

    Palacios transported her son to Covenant Hospital Levelland, where he was being treated for a seizure. He was treated and released.

    According to the police report, Palacios told police she believed her daughter gave Jamie a piece of candy she received from the school festival. Both children had eaten the same bag of candy, but only Jamie became ill.

    There were no other reports of children sickened by the Halloween candy, McCain said, and there had not been any similar incidents in recent years.

    November 5, 2010


To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!