[IMGL=white]https://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=39988&stc=1&d=1408901821[/IMGL]JACKSON - Two Mississippi State University students are recovering after their parents say the two smoked marijuana that they believe was laced with something very dangerous.
"He was just manic, and he was not the same person at all," parent Denise Tate said. "He's lost ten pounds in two weeks since he's been in Starkville." Tate described how her son, 18-year-old Bailey Tate, had changed in the days since he left Madison for MSU. "He always told me that he thought marijuana was safer than alcohol because that's what he's heard on TV, and it's already legal in some states," Tate said. Tate said that false sense of security is what landed Bailey in the hospital, because she believes that pot was laced with a designer drug making the rounds in Mississippi. "Oh gosh, every single symptom he had is described in this drug," Tate added.
That drug, she believes, is something called 25I, similar to LSD, which can sometimes lead to hallucinations, music euphoria and even death. Craig Tate said his son Bailey was up all night playing music, talking a mile a minute. Then they brought him to the hospital. "The doctor came back, and sure enough, all he had was a little pot in his system," Craig said. "It doesn't explain [what happened]. He's on the total opposite end of what pot does," Craig added. Craig said doctors have told him five MSU students have been admitted in Jackson with similar symptoms in recent days.
One of those is someone Bailey's family knows well- 19-year-old Christian Jayroe. "He's been in an institution here to try to get leveled out," Chris Jayroe said. "He got checked in Thursday at 5. It's now Saturday, and I saw my son today, and he's not changed." What's most frightening to Chris is an apparent lack of information. "The doctors don't even know what they're dealing with. That's the saddest part of it -- scariest part," Chris said.
The Drug Enforcement Administration says 25I and similar synthetic LSD compounds have been linked to the deaths of at least 19 people aged 15 to 29 between March 2012 and August 2013. That's why these parents decided to share their stories, to let others know the substance is out there, even in Mississippi. "For them to just think they're smoking pot, and someone's lacing it with something that's toxic and can cause them to be brain dead, and kill them, it's terrible," Denise said.
MSNEWS.com/ August 24, 2014
Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.