1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
  1. aemetha
    When Oscar-winning actor Heath Ledger, star of The Dark Knight and Brokeback Mountain, died from an accidental drug overdose in 2008, his father Kim Ledger was certain that what happened was "part of a massive picture."

    It was determined that Heath Ledger had ingested a fatal combination of sleeping pills with opioids, dying in his sleep.

    This has motivated Mr Ledger to speak out against prescription drugs, and he will be coming to New Zealand to campaign against the misuse of them. "I came to the understanding that something absolutely positive needs to come out of this," his father said.

    Scriptwise, the Australian group of which Kim Ledger is a patron of, was formed to help prevent the misuse of prescription medication. They aim to raise awareness about the seriousness of the issue. Mr Ledger will be speaking at the Cutting Edge Addictions Conference in Rotorua in September. His message will be "what can start off as a simple prescription can result in medication misuse and people tend to get on to a treadmill that they struggle to get off."

    Speaking with The Daily Mail Australia, Mr Ledger said that the death of his son during post-production on The Dark Knight - for which he won a number of posthumous awards - was his own fault: "It was totally his fault. It was no one else's - he reached for. He put them in his system." He did, however, note that the demands of being a top actor would have meant his son needed prescription drugs to keep up with his international schedule.

    It's not unusual for prescription medication to be the causal factor in celebrity deaths - pop superstar Prince died earlier this year from an accidental overdose of fentanyl, and Michael Jackson died of acute toxicity from an anaesthetic in 2009.

    20 August 2016
    Photo: Reuters


  1. leo nard
    so, it wasn't suicide as the media first announced...
    it is very common nowdays for the media to keep drugs OD of celebrities a secret (i suspect there are legal reasons for that)

    so, not surprised here..


  2. aemetha
    Heath Ledger's dad: 'You can just be so caught out'

    [IMGL="white"]https://drugs-forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=52168&stc=1&d=1473258526[/IMGL]In January 2008 the world was shocked when actor Heath Ledger died following an accidental overdose. His father Kim is in Rotorua to speak at an addiction conference and sat down with Rebecca Malcolm.

    Heath Ledger's dad says he will never get over the shock of his son's death - but is speaking out about the dangers of prescription drug misuse in a bid to save other families from going through something similar.

    Speaking to the Rotorua Daily Post ahead of his talk at the Cutting Edge Addiction Conference tomorrow, Kim Ledger described his son as a vibrant man full of life before he died after mixing prescription drugs.

    The Australian was a Hollywood star known for his roles in films including Brokeback Mountain, A Knight's Tale and The Patriot. One of his last roles, as the Joker in The Dark Knight, earned him a posthumous Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor, as well as a Golden Globe award.

    Mr Ledger said while it had taken the family "a bit of time" to come to terms with what happened, he believed speaking out was something his son would have done if the situation was different. "I kind of came to the realisation perhaps if one of his close family members lost their life as a result of the same thing, I think he would probably speak out even though he was very shy and spoke very few words. "It took all of us a bit of time to come to terms with the loss... and you never get over it, you learn to live with it. "

    Mr Ledger said he found out about his son's death after being phoned by a business associate and seeing it on the television. "It was such a shock to lose someone that way, when one day he's just so bloody vital and everywhere. And he was, he was one of these kids that never slept from the age of 2 ... he never stopped."

    Mr Ledger said Heath's older sister Kate was speaking to him on the phone the day before he died, warning him not to take sleeping tablets with the mixture of prescription drugs he was on to fix his pneumonia. "She said 'you can't do that. You don't know what you're doing'. He said 'Katie, Katie, I'll be fine'. You know, a 28-year-old cavalier boy who knows everything. Like all the boys do. That was the last time anybody spoke to him. Nine or 10 hours later he was found."

    He was found dead in his apartment the next day.

    Mr Ledger said he began to educate himself on the issues surrounding prescription drugs - both the lethal dangers of combining several and the addiction issues - after being approached to be the patron of ScriptWise in Australia. ScriptWise is a not for profit organisation that aims to prevent prescription medication misuse and overdose fatalities in Australia. "I started educating myself on the problem and it is quite massive and it comes at you in several ways." He said some found themselves becoming hooked after being prescribed painkillers as the result of sickness or accident. "Or It can be the mixing of drugs that can cause the same problems we faced with our boy."

    Mr Ledger said he wanted to see more done around the awareness of the misuse of prescription medicines. "You can just be so caught out." He said the issue needed to be talked about. He also believed some sort of real time monitoring which allowed doctors the ability to see those "shopping" for prescription drugs was needed.

    Mr Ledger said he was initially angry, and was being chased by the FDA in New York to help them prosecute the doctors who had issued the drugs. But he believed the fact his son had the mixture of drugs he did was more because of his busy lifestyle and getting new prescriptions after forgetting others in different cities.

    He said while his son was "brilliant" his personal life was "a bit chaotic" and when he visited Heath's apartment after his death there were prescriptions lying around the place. Mr Ledger said the fact Heath had been home just weeks earlier surfing at 5am and then was suddenly gone was "mindbending". "It was just a shock because he was such a healthy, vital young guy."

    Since learning more about prescription drug misuse and addiction Mr Ledger said he had heard many tragic stories. "It's right across the board. I was surprised... it's not selective." Mr Ledger said his journey since becoming involved with ScriptWise had been a "real eye opener". He said in medicine cabinets around the country there were mixtures of medicines that could be dangerous. He said parents also needed to educate their children. "We warn them about some of the social drugs but don't really warn them about pharmaceuticals."

    Mr Ledger said he remembered his son as "just so kind and loving to everybody". "He was a young man who had the best sense of humour. We're just so, so proud of what he achieved in such a short space of time. "Every single thing he did, he did by himself. "It was just of like he was in a rush. He was always so busy." He remembered his son's kindness, gentleness and "beautiful disposition". "He was such a giving individual, such a beautiful child... he was just so kind and loving to everybody. "His world he shared with his friends in the loveliest way."

    Mr Ledger will speak tomorrow at the conference.

    7 September 2016
    Rebecca Malcolm
    The New Zealand Herald
    Source: Rotorua Daily Post
    Image: MJ Kim/Getty Images
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!