Pa. soldier died from 'huffing' in Iraq
November 30, 2006
ALLENTOWN, Pa. --A Pennsylvania National Guard soldier found dead in his room in Iraq in March accidentally killed himself by inhaling gases from a container of pressurized air to get high, an Army investigation concluded.
Frederick Carlson IV, 25, was found unconscious in his room at the base in Taqqadum, near Fallujah, shortly before 6 p.m. March 26, The Morning Call of Allentown wrote in an article published Thursday. The paper got the information from an Army report obtained through a Freedom of Information Act request.
Investigators found a can of compressed air near Carlson's bunk and a colleague said he remembered him "huffing" fumes at least once before.
Huffing -- inhaling the chemicals given off by glue, aerosols and other substances -- replaces oxygen in a person's lungs. It can be fatal when too much oxygen is replaced.
Carlson, of Bethlehem, served as a cook with the 228th Forward Support Battalion, but guard officials said he volunteered for duty on the rapid-response force, providing security for military convoys.
"He could have stayed on base, yet he volunteered for dangerous missions outside the wire," said Capt. Cory Angell, a Pennsylvania National Guard spokesman. "It's tragic that he got caught up in using inhalants."
Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.