It is a black day in the history of the Dutch drug policy. In the 6 hour long session of parliament that has just ended, the following was decided and presented. I will probably fail to list everything, but you will get the picture.
The minister of justice placed the remark that it is not possible to close down all coffeeshops at once. Various Christian parties requested national addiction offices to implement the Minnesota method. Is this a Christian approach to addiction treatment?
- Magic Mushrooms will be banned.
- Growshops / hydrophonic stores will be banned.
- Smoking in coffeeshops will no longer be allowed, though there is a possibility to create a space where coffeeshop personal has no access and that can be used as a smoking area.
- Supplying products, substances, information, etc for the use of the production of cannabis will be come illegal.
- The closure of coffeeshops within certain distance from schools will have to be completed in 2011.
- The promotion or description of coffeeshops and placing information about them by coffeeshops themselves on the internet, will be banned/prosecuted.
- BZP will be banned shortly.
As said I am likely forgetting several other disasters, but these are my biggest frustrations now.