1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
  1. Finn Mac Cool
    A drug user in Kent is critically ill in hospital after injecting heroin contaminated with anthrax, the Health Protection Agency (HPA) has confirmed.

    The agency said it was the fifth case of a drug user in England becoming ill with anthrax, which is a severe bacterial infection.
    Health chiefs said there was no risk to the general population or even family members of the patient.
    Heroin users who display symptoms have been advised to seek medical advice.
    Dr Mathi Chandrakumar, the director of Kent Health Protection Unit, said: "It is extremely unlikely that this form of anthrax can spread from person to person.
    "We continue to see occasional cases of this serious infection among injecting drug users, following a cluster of cases earlier this year.
    "Exposure to anthrax is now one of a number of risks that drug users are exposed to."


    Anthrax spores

    The HPA said it would not release details of the drug user's sex or age due to patient confidentiality.
    Anthrax is a rare bacterial infection most commonly found in hoofed animals such as cattle, sheep and goats.
    The HPA said there have been 47 confirmed cases of anthrax infection among drug users in Scotland since December 2009.
    It said the likely cause of infection was a contaminated agent used to cut the heroin.
    Symptoms of anthrax infection include a high temperature, chills, a severe headache or breathing difficulties, the HPA said.


    3 November 2010

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-11685984

Comments

  1. corvardus
    'Anthrax heroin' kills drug user in Kent

    A drug user in Kent has died in hospital after injecting heroin contaminated with anthrax, the Health Protection Agency (HPA) has confirmed.

    The agency said it was the fifth case of a drug user in England becoming ill with anthrax, which is a severe bacterial infection.

    Health chiefs said there was no risk to the general population or even family members of the patient.

    Heroin users who display symptoms have been advised to seek medical advice.

    Dr Mathi Chandrakumar, the director of Kent Health Protection Unit, said it was a "sad outcome".

    He added: "It is extremely unlikely that this form of anthrax can spread from person to person.

    Anthrax spores

    "We continue to see occasional cases of this serious infection among injecting drug users, following a cluster of cases earlier this year.

    "Exposure to anthrax is now one of a number of risks that drug users are exposed to."

    The HPA said it would not release details of the drug user's sex or age due to patient confidentiality.

    Anthrax is a rare bacterial infection most commonly found in hoofed animals such as cattle, sheep and goats.

    The HPA said there had been 47 confirmed cases of anthrax infection among drug users in Scotland since December 2009.

    It said the likely cause of infection was a contaminated agent used to cut the heroin.
    Symptoms of anthrax infection include a high temperature, chills, a severe headache or breathing difficulties, the HPA said.

    BBC News
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-11685984
    November 3rd, 2010
  2. KingofHyrule
    Legalise and regulate and eliminate this unnecessary risk. Poor poor man my heart goes out to his family.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!