1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Longer pub hours blamed for surge in violent crime

  1. Lunar Loops
    Ahh yes, no real surprises in this article appearing...the piece at the end did make SWIS seethe though. The old diplomatic immunity card....get out of jail free, pass go, collect all of your ill-gotten gains and live long and prosper from your wrong-doings.....***tards.

    Anyway, this from the Daily Mail (UK) (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=396066&in_page_id=1770):
    Longer pub hours blamed for surge in violent crime

    By MATTHEW HICKLEY, Daily Mail 08:33am 17th July 2006


    Police blame Labour's late-night drinking laws for a surge in muggings and drunken assaults.
    The annual Home Office crime figures for England and Wales, due out on Thursday, show violent crime has risen for the seventh year in a row.
    They are likely to pile more pressure on Home Secretary John Reid as he struggles to turn his department's fortunes around.
    Figures show a significant rise in overall violent offences and a 10 per cent rise in robberies.
    They come as the Home Office's crackdown on street crime ends. With cash grants to forces running out after three years, fewer officers will be available to patrol crime hotspots.
    Leicestershire chief constable Matt Baggott warned that a growth in late drinking in town and city centres is exposing young people to greater risk of violence.
    'There is a profit-driven competitiveness around alcohol, and one of its consequences is young people becoming victims,' he said.
    Police say trying to charge or prosecute violent drunken yobs is frustrating, because their victims are often equally drunk and unable to remember what happened when they sober up.
    Mr Reid will unveil Labour's latest crime policies to MPs this week, including tougher rules on sentencing and parole, and plans to build more prisons.
    The figures show overall crime is down slightly from last year, with a reduction in the number of car thefts.
    In London, robberies are up by 8 per cent and overall violent crime has risen by 2 per cent. In West Yorkshire violent crime rose almost 10 per cent and robberies were up 15 per cent. Violent crime rose almost 3 per cent in the West Midlands.
    Gloucester Police recorded 24 per cent more robberies, with a 10 per cent rise in overall violent crime.
    The Met's acting deputy assistant commissioner Alfred Hitchcock said: 'We recognise street crime is on the rise again.
    'We are introducing a number of responses to address that trend.'
    Ministers are likely to blame the increases on changes to how crimes are counted, even though the rules were introduced in 2002.
    Separate figures show cases of murder and manslaughter have leapt from an average of 601 cases per year in the early 1990s to 737 per year since 1997.
    Another Home Office study showed the number of violent criminals escaping justice has soared since Labour came to power. Conviction rates for robbery, serious wounding and rape have plunged below 10 per cent.
    With an estimated 2.4million drunken assaults last year, alcohol-fuelled violence claimed a victim on average every 13 seconds.
    * FOREIGN diplomats routinely cheat justice when accused of serious criminal offences, it emerged yesterday.
    Claiming 'diplomatic immunity', they are escaping prosecution for rape, child abuse, indecent assault, fraud, bribery and possession of drugs and firearms. It is the first time figures showing the scale of the problem in London have been released. Some 122 serious crimes were allegedly committed between 1999 and 2004, according to the Foreign Office report.

Comments

  1. Nature Boy
    "Yeah, let's drink 'til 6am and rob some houses".

    These statistics are completely inconsistent and don't seem to be linked with 24 hour bars at all from what I can see. Figures like these zig-zag the whole time.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!