1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
  1. Phenoxide
    A man was killed when a charging e-cigarette exploded and ignited oxygen equipment he is believed to have been using, Merseyside's fire service said.

    The 62-year-old victim was found in the living room of a house in Penkett Road, Wallasey.

    A small fire in the bedroom of the property had gone out before firefighters arrived, Merseyside Fire and Rescue Service (MFRS) said.

    The exact cause of death is yet to be established, with an inquest now due.

    Mixing warning

    An MFRS spokesman said: "The subsequent fire investigation identified that an e-cigarette that had been charging in the bedroom exploded, caught fire and ignited the oxygen tube of an oxygen concentrator, which may have been in use by the occupier."

    Myles Platt, MFRS area manager said: "The investigation into the cause of this fire is continuing but at this stage it is thought that the charging device being used at the time may not have been the one supplied with the e-cigarette.

    "We urge people to always use electrical equipment in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions and guidance, always ensure that no electrical items are left charging overnight or left unattended for a long period when being charged, and do not mix parts from different e-cigarettes.

    "Only use the original charger or electrical cables supplied and ensure you purchase electrical items from a reputable source."

    Since January, nine fires involving e-cigarettes have been recorded on Merseyside.

    Service representatives are speaking to people in the Wallasey area to give advice about the safe use of e-cigarettes following Tuesday's fire.

    BBC News
    8th August 2014
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-merseyside-28701515

Comments

  1. TheBigBadWolf
    funny how the 'oxygen concentrator is ignited'... I have learnt that in classical oxidations it is the oxygen which oxidises stuff, so producing an exothermal reaction that results in stuff catching fire.

    Really a scientifical achievement to have something oxidise oxygen.

    But when the fire brigade spokesman says so... *shakeshead*

    Professionals, I hear?

    BBW
  2. hookedonhelping
    Interesting case, and observances here.

    I don't think the charger would have caused this. Of course chargers ignite fires all the time, but it almost seems as if this guy could have had his oxygen running, went to vaporize his electronic ecig, the oxygen, an oxidizer in near pure concentrations somehow came in contact with this and the heating element of the ecig during an inhalation.. and B00M..

    Just speculation, but this seems more likely than the charger.

    Many people have two of these ecigs, one on charge, the other in hand.. nearly all the time. In their hand that is.
  3. jjcoke
    The charger probably didn't shut off when the battery was full. Lithium batteries are very explosive when over charged. There have been other cases of this happening when mixing batteries and chargers from different manufacturers. Sometimes the charger has the shut off circuitry in it and some times it's in the battery itself. If you get the two mixed up this is what happens.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!