A marijuana hash-oil explosion at a San Diego hotel injured three people Wednesday, leaving one with life-threatening burns, authorities said.
The explosion, in a room at the Heritage Inn, near SeaWorld, occurred after butane used in the oil-extraction process was ignited by a cigarette lit by a man in the room, according to San Diego Fire-Rescue Department spokesman Maurice Luque. The blast blew through three of the hotel's walls, Mr. Luque said.
Derived from the marijuana plant, hash oil is generally extracted for use as a more concentrated form of the drug.
The two occupants of the room were taken to a nearby hospital, where one was treated for life-threatening burns and the other for "very serious" burns, Mr. Luque said. A man who had been occupying an adjacent room was also taken to the hospital with head injuries, authorities said.
By: Erica Orden via Wallstreet Journal news
Marijuana hash-oil explosion: Injures 3 in San Diego, CA