Marijuana plants discovered in Midtown house fire
ANCHORAGE, Alaska — Anchorage police say a Midtown chimney fire exposed an illegal marijuana grow operation Sunday. Firefighters responded to a call from the house’s renters at about 7:30 a.m. on the 2400 block of Glennwood Street.
Firefighters says flames spread from the fireplace and engulfed part of the roof. The home did not have working smoke detectors.
The renters and their cats escaped, but three boa constrictor snakes inside died. While in the home, firefighters say they noticed several marijuana plants.
Renter Karen Renee-Flanagan says she was growing the marijuana for herself to use for medical reasons, but she does not have a medical marijuana card.
Police later seized the plants, and Renee-Flanagan says she expects charges in the coming days.
“There's nothing I can do -- there's nothing I can do,” Renee-Flanagan said.
“A house isn't wired to take that type of power utilization, but in this case every indication was that it came from the fireplace,” said APD spokesperson Lt. Dave Parker.
Renee-Flanagan and her boyfriend have not been arrested, and are not currently facing any charges. Parker says an investigation is in progress.
November 21, 2010
Contact Jackie Bartz
Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.