1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
  1. Beenthere2Hippie
    Concerns have been raised about the use of 'legal highs' among homeless people in Belfast as details emerged of a second death linked to a deadly substance designed to mimic the effects of cannabis.

    Hostel resident Adrian Thompson, originally from Dundalk, Co Louth, died in Belfast's Castle Place on February 24 2016, weeks before Catherine Kenny was found dead in a doorway a short distance away in Donegall Place. An inquest this month into the death of Ms Kenny, from Downpatrick, heard how the 32-year-old died on April 19 as a result of consuming alcohol and smoking a “synthetic cannabinoid” known as MDMB-CHMICA.

    The toxic chemical has been linked to a spate of deaths across Europe, and is designed to provide a high similar to cannabis.

    An inquest into the death of 49-year-old father-of-one Mr Thompson will take place at a later date. Relatives attended a preliminary hearing in Belfast last week. The full inquest is expected to hear how Mr Thompson's death was caused by consuming drugs, including taking a similar synthetic cannabinoid to that of his friend Ms Kenny.

    The UK's Psychoactive Substances Bill came into force last year to ban such former ‘legal highs' not covered by the Misuse of Drugs Act, but according to a homeless charity, they are easily available and popular among those sleeping rough in Belfast. Donna Connor, of the Hope for Homeless organisation, said she has seen first hand the effects of the synthetic cannabinoids – which are often sold with brand names including ‘Sky High'.

    “The effects are instantaneous, and it's the worst I've ever seen,” she said. “But it's common, and we cannot stress enough to users the dangers they face. We ask them ‘do you want to be the next to die like Catherine?' but some explain to us that despite these risks, it's their coping mechanism to help them get through the night. With no rehabilitation facilities available, without joining a waiting list weeks long, then it can be almost impossible to get off these drugs.”

    A spokeswoman for the Welcome Organisation, which also works to help the homeless, said: "We have also seen first hand the devastation such dugs cause individuals and their families."

    Speaking with the Irish News, Adrian Thompson's mother Elizabeth said drugs had been the downfall of her son, who had been staying at a shelter run by the Salvation Army before his death. “We tried getting him off drugs, but we didn't know exactly what he was taking. In the end he went to Belfast and tried making his own way in life. We were waiting for someone to come to the door with tragic news, and eventually they did.

    “He was a generous and good-hearted fella, and he always had a home here in Dundalk, but sadly we couldn't get him to come back.”




    By Paul Ainsworth - the Irish Times/Jan. 23, 2017
    http://www.irishnews.com/news/2017/...d-to-second-homeless-death-in-belfast-899666/
    Photo: montage of Irish News photos
    Newshawk Crew

    Author Bio

    Beenthere2Hippie
    BT2H is a retired news editor and writer from the NYC area who, for health reasons, retired to a southern US state early, and where BT2H continues to write and to post drug-related news to DF.

Comments

  1. Addydawn
    I don’t know what the heck was in the synthetic marijuana that I smoked on July 2, 2015 but it caused me to become unconscious, have seizures, experience respiratory failure and gave me pneumonia. I was in a coma for a week. I now think something like this compound must have been in it. It was too strong of a dosage.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!