1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Medical Marijuana Legalization in Colorado Has Led to Rise in ‘Stoner Dogs'

Rating:
4.5/5,
  1. Rob Cypher
    Of the "Stoner Dog" meme, the website Meme Generator says, "it is very difficult not to look at this meme and burst out laughing immediately."

    But, in Colorado, where instances of dogs getting high have become significantly more prevalent since medical marijuana was legalized 12 years ago, vets say the trend is no joke.

    "There are huge spikes in the frequency of marijuana ingestion in places where it's become legal," veterinarian Dr. Debbie Van Pelt told Denver's CBS4.

    Indeed, according to a five-year study by Dr. Stacy Meola of the Wheat Ridge Animal Hospital, cases of marijuana poisoning in dogs have quadrupled in Colorado alone.

    At least two dogs have died after consuming baked goods made with marijuana butter, and many others have experienced a variety of side effects, ranging from lethargy to nausea to over-sensitivity to light and sound.

    "We need people to realize it is potentially toxic and potentially fatal to their pets," said Van Pelt.

    Getting to the bottom of what's wrong with the dog in a timely fashion is critical, so vets urge owners whose pets have ingested or inhaled marijuana to come clean so the animals can receive the proper treatment.

    http://gawker.com/5948380/medical-m...do-has-led-to-significant-rise-in-stoner-dogs

Comments

  1. Grower'sDelight
    Seriously? This article has to be a joke. I am willing to bet the two dogs that allegedly died from eating marijuana laced baked goodies died from eating chocolate, not from the weed inside the choclolate.....
  2. profesor
    I'd keep my pets away from Dr. Debbie Van Pelt. Just the name alone makes me think of taxidermy and not good medicine.
    PS She's a real person that was interviewed on CBS. Not a joke.
  3. Quijibo
    I didn't see anything saying specifically that it was brownies that the dogs ate. Even if it was it takes a little over one ounce per three pounds of body weight for the reaction to be deadly, so it would take several brownies to actually kill them.

    I might be a little pissy about the subject but I think getting your pets high is animal cruelty. My wife and I have been rescuing animals for about six years now. The worst cases are the ones taken from people who decided it would be cute to get their pet high. Being a human being you are able to reason atleast somewhat when you get past your comfort zone with your drug of choice, your pets can't. Not only can they not just take a minute to chill out, they have no idea whats going on. Getting your pet high is traumatic, dangerous and cruel. Anyone who wants to say something along the lines that animals don't have emotions or can't be emotionaly scarred, don't waste your time. I've seen the results of dogs that have been forced to get high. I have scars on my arms and face from lighting a cigarette around dogs traumatized by this kind of cruelty. Sorry to rant I just think that kind of behaviour is disgusting.
  4. Phaeton
    Sometimes after ingesting way too much concentrate and convulsing with temperature spikes reaching 103 I recall Marinol animal testing when it was still new.

    Dogs were used in one of the dosage research labs. This had to be discontinued due to random death of dogs. Definitely THC related but details of what triggered it were not in the report, at the time they did not know why.

    Certainly not very many dogs, but enough to invalidate the research.
  5. Rob Cypher
    I have to wonder if this article is a bit of media sensationalism; I doubt most people are deliberately feeding their animals MMJ.
  6. BowserNasty
    Have yall not seen the show Wilfred? Dogs love getting high. Just kidding dont get animals high. Very disrespecful and cruel.
  7. headfull0fstars
    This is very interesting. It relates to another thread going on about people getting their animals high for their own amusement. Colorado vets were even mentioned in this thread. Ill have to post a link to this article when I get to my computer.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
  8. River Rat
    I don't get it. If there are no deaths from humans ingesting MMJ, why would it kill dogs or cats or cows or mice....etc. We're all mammals.
    I could understand lethargy, or sleep, or even stumbling around, but death???
    Anyone who gives drugs to unsuspecting people or animals is a jerk. It's not funny.
    I do understand that chocolate or even grapes should not be given to dogs, but MMJ kills dogs?
    What am I missing?
  9. tcoro
    River -

    The one thing that comes to mind is that dogs are not humans...regardless of mammal, reptile or whatever a dog's system and genetic chemistry is different. Not to mention they are usually much smaller than people too.
    My dog weighs about 20lbs. If one MJ brownie will get me stoned, and I weigh 120 - thats a hundred pounds more so it would make sense that the same brownie could kill a 20 lb dog easily...its a massive amount of drugs in his system.

    Another thing to consider, dogs don't know or understand it's supposed to be enjoyable...the 'high' feeling could stress them out to the point their system could go in to shock or shut down.
    Just because its not harmful to humans (or even enjoyable to humans) doesn't mean its OK for dogs (or any other animals)
    Many things people use or eat are toxic to dogs, & many plants are also toxic to animals but don't harm people, like lillies for example can kill cats if they eat even a tiny bit.

    Here is a quote from the ASPCA's website:
    Ingestion of Cannabis sativa by companion animals can result in depression of the central nervous system and incoordination, as well as vomiting, diarrhea, drooling, increased heart rate, and even seizures and coma.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!