A Minnesota high school senior died after taking synthetic psychedelic drugs he bought online, authorities believe. Alexander J. Snyder, 17, of Chanhassen High School senior in Minneapolis, was found lying in a cattail marsh at Lake Minnewashta Regional Park over the weekend.
His father Jeremy alerted police after his son went missing on Sunday evening, and he was found suffering from a seizure in marsh water. “Alex was a wonderful person and absolutely brilliant,” his father told The StarTribune.
“He was awkward, but he embraced his awkwardness freely, and it became a part of his outstanding sense of humor.”
Snyder used a tracking application on his son’s phone to locate him in the park, and discovered the phone sitting next to his discarded shoes. A police investigation found that Snyder and a friend had purchased the drug online from China, according to the Carver County Sheriff’s Office. Authorities said they believe that the drug was dipropyltryptamine, a psychedelic drug sold on the Internet as "DPT."
Snyder’s friend was found elsewhere in the park, and was also hospitalized after feeling sick from ingesting the drug. He was treated and released.
It is believed the drugs were listed as for “antioxidant testing use,” which is how they were legally imported. Snyder was taken to the Two Twelve Medical Center in Chaska, and then to Hennepin County Medical Center in Minneapolis where he died about 2 p.m. Tuesday.
Grief counselors were sent to Chanhassen High School to comfort distressed students.
“Any time a student passes, it’s tragic for students, staff and our families,” said Principal Tim Dorway. “Our focus is on supporting students, family and staff in a way that meets their needs.”
By Laura Hanna - NY Daily News/Oct. 19, 2015
Minnesota Teen Dies After Taking Synthetic Drug From China