I've been a lousy sleeper all my life. I can't fall asleep, I can't stay sleep, and I suffer from all kinds of 'fun' sleep disorders and quirks like:
- sleep paralysis: almost always when sleeping on my back, I'll wake up to feel an evil presence staring at me/judging me. The sheer terror is all-encompassing; I cannot move a muscle or run away. There's a pressure on my chest. I can't move and I panic.
- walking in sleep: used to do this all the time as a kid, less so now.
- talking in sleep: I wake myself up sometimes by babbling away
- hypnagogic/hypnopompic hallucinations: almost always a loud sound directly in my ears, like a shotgun, or breaking glass, or my mother calling my name. Just as I was about to sleep...aaargh!
- insomnia of the can't get to sleep/can't stay asleep varieties.
Thing is it's 2:45, I need to be awake at 8 so I can run errands, write my MA, take care of myself. But I'm up and wired and I don't want to take a sleeping tablet and miss tomorrow because of the crash.
Sleeping tablets, I've realised, are a waste. I'm massively allergic/intolerant to OTC sleepers, and three courses of z-drugs showed me that they're pretty much useless - they only knock you out for about 4 hours, tolerance grows very fast, and aside from possible addiction and withdrawals, there is BOUND to be rebound insomnia.
I do have my blue friends, Etizolam. But even thought I've got lots of them (hypomanic shopping spree), I'm on a NO ETIZ regime for at least a month. I'm coming off antidepressants with a taper, no point in setting myself up for another chemical dependence and longass taper.