1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
  1. chillinwill
    Robert "Biggum" Henderson, a convicted drug dealer and admitted junkie, says he has lived most of his life by the law of the streets.

    Don't snitch.

    "I don't talk about people," he said one day last week. "I basically try to mind my own business, because it's a better way to go."

    And, while that policy has helped him survive on South Camden's streets, it also, he alleges, brought him into conflict with a group of Camden police officers now suspected of bringing a law of their own to those same streets.

    Last month, without notice or explanation, two of Henderson's drug-possession convictions were dismissed.

    He is one of at least seven defendants whose cases the Camden County Prosecutor's Office has moved to vacate because of an investigation into four suspected rogue police officers who are now the target of an FBI corruption probe.

    The officers, who have been suspended without pay, are suspected of beating defendants, planting drugs, and bringing phony charges to enhance their arrest records and force reluctant players in the drug underworld to cooperate.

    Henderson told his story last week from an interview room at South Woods State Prison in Bridgeton, where he is serving time on a third drug charge that he says also may be tainted.

    The 55-year-old was convicted of drug possession in 2006 and 2007. Both cases were brought, he said, after Camden Police Officer Jason Stetser - a seven-year department veteran known as "Fat Face" - demanded information about drug dealers.

    Since Henderson didn't talk, he said, Stetser planted drugs on him and sent him to jail.

    Stetser is among four officers suspended without pay as the county Prosecutor's Office reviews arrests dating back to at least 2006. The other officers are Antonio Figueroa, Kevin Parry, and Robert Bayard.

    All four have been described as part of a special operations team that tackled gun and drug crime. They have been advised by the police union's attorney not to speak about the allegations.

    Richard Madden, a lawyer hired by Stetser, said the highly decorated officer had among the most arrests and drug busts in the department. That, he said, might have made him a target of drug dealers' complaints.

    Stetser has not spoken to federal investigators and does not know what the allegations are, his lawyer said.

    Investigators "go on fishing expeditions," Madden said. "So we're just sitting back and seeing what happens. They keep us in the dark."

    The orders to vacate the sentences have been filed by judges on the basis of motions from the Prosecutor's Office that cite only "the interests of justice and . . . good cause shown" as reasons for dismissing the charges.

    Defense attorneys say they expected dozens, if not hundreds, of cases to be vacated.

    Neither the Camden Police Department nor the Prosecutor's Office would comment on the investigation. The FBI has not publicly acknowledged the investigation, but sources familiar with the probe said it was the basis for the police suspensions.

    Henderson's description of Stetser's alleged harassment mirrors stories told by others arrested by the suspended officers over the last few years.

    In each case, suspects said the officers stole money and drugs during searches or planted drugs on suspects who refused to cough up information on dealers and their stashes.

    "If you don't have something to give them, then you're going to jail," Henderson said.

    Some also allege physical abuse and property destruction. Henderson said that in 2006, he and his fiancée were living in an abandoned house rigged for electricity when Stetser burst in. While another officer waited outside, he said, Stetser destroyed his TV and microwave oven with a sledgehammer and dumped kerosene on their cot and clothes.

    "About a week later, he returned and informed me that I was now working for him," Henderson said.

    Henderson said he repeatedly wrote to judges and filed police internal affairs complaints to bring attention to Stetser.

    Henderson wore a tan jumpsuit over a white T-shirt and used red reading glasses missing a stem, his voice cracking as he read notes on a yellow piece of paper describing his unusual legal odyssey.

    "The last four years of my life have been really, really crazy," Henderson said.

    The first time Stetser arrested him in 2006, he said, he had a personal stash of drugs - two bags of heroin - but he said he was charged with carrying 36 bags of crack with the intent to distribute.

    "You are going to work for me whether you like it or not," Henderson said Stetser told him as he was arrested. "I said, I'm not doing no telling, I don't know nothing about nothing. He said, 'You've been around too long not to know something about something.' "

    After nearly a year in the Camden County Jail, Henderson was released on probation.

    Three months later, Henderson ran afoul of Stetser again, he said. He claims he was arrested while he was scratching lottery tickets on a porch. Henderson said he was not carrying drugs, but Stetser pulled out a Mike & Ike candy box with red baggies of drugs.

    Edward J. Crisonino, a veteran South Jersey defense lawyer, said the allegations of corruption in the narcotics unit of the Camden Police Department came "as no surprise."

    "This kind of stuff doesn't happen in a vacuum," he said. "That's been the culture in the narcotics unit for years."

    One of Crisonino's clients, Michael A. Culbreath, was released in January from Southern State, where he was serving a two- to four-year sentence for cocaine possession.

    Culbreath claims Stetser and Parry beat him and planted the cocaine on him, Crisonino said. Culbreath admitted he was holding two bags of marijuana when he was arrested.

    He said the public defender who handled the case urged him to take a plea deal - a four-year sentence with a stipulation to do two years before being eligible for release. Culbreath had two previous convictions, so he took the plea even though he said the charge was false, according to Crisonino.

    While in prison he wrote to the Attorney General's and Public Defender's offices claiming he had been beaten.

    This month, while in prison, he was called to the office and was told his sentence had been vacated.

    "They told him to go home," Crisonino said. "They didn't tell him why. After he got home and read in the papers about the investigation into the corrupt cops, he knew that was the reason."

    Crisonino said two of his clients were serving state prison time in cases developed by Stetser. He said he was looking into the status of those cases and thought they should be vacated as well.

    "These guys were like cowboys riding the range. . . . They were over the edge," he said. "But they were the stars of the unit. They made the most arrests."

    And when criminals complained, Crisonino said, no one paid any attention.

    "If the complaint comes from criminals who have been arrested, it doesn't go anywhere," he said.

    Those who defend the suspended officers say the claims are without merit.

    "How can you let people out of prison when you don't even have enough information to press charges" against the officers, asked Jason Stetser's father, Jim.

    Sitting in the living room of his home in rural Camden County, Jim Stetser, who walked the same South Camden streets as a Camden police officer in the 1970s and 1980s, called his son and the other suspended officers "pro-active policemen."

    "They went out to look for these drug dealers, instead of hanging around at the coffee shop," he said.

    Jim Stetser said his son won departmental awards for his bravery and ability to pull guns and drugs off criminals. He said older residents slipped his son thank-you notes and tips on dealers.

    Jason Stetser lives near his parents, who are supporting him financially during his unpaid suspension.

    The police union lawyer, Timothy Quinlan, said that if federal investigators had evidence to make a case, they would have arrested the officers by now.

    "You can only conclude by a process of elimination that they don't have that kind of evidence," Quinlan said. "What they do have undoubtedly is statements by people who are arrested, and as far as I know that's what they're going with."

    By Matt Katz and George Anastasia
    February 3, 2010
    Philly Inquirer


  1. chillinwill
    185 drug cases dropped after Camden police probe

    Charges have been dropped or convictions vacated in 185 drug cases in one of the nation's most crime-ridden cities because information gathered in a criminal investigation of five police city officers suggests evidence could have been tainted, a prosecutor announced Friday.

    One of the officers pleaded guilty in federal court Friday to conspiring with other officers to deprive others of their civil rights. Kevin Parry, who has resigned from the department, admitted he planted drugs on suspects, conducted illegal searches, threatened additional charges for suspects who refused to cooperate, stole drugs and money from suspects, and paid informants - many of them prostitutes - with drugs in exchange for information.

    Friday's disclosure of the list of cases and Parry's plea represented the first time law enforcement have given any information about the cases since they began investigating in November.

    At least four of the police officers were suspended then. Camden County Prosecutor Warren Faulk would not say whether the fifth was also removed from duty.

    The prosecutor's office reviewed more than 400 cases over the last five years in which one of the five was the arresting or investigating officer, Faulk said. The suspected seemed to not have behaved inappropriately in some cases, such as domestic violence calls, Faulk said.

    But in 185 cases involving more than 180 suspects, Faulk said there was reason to drop charges or vacate convictions. It's not clear how many people were released from jail because of the investigation, but 81 of them received prison or jail sentences.

    Yvonne Smith Segars, who heads the state's public defender's office, called the matter "unprecedented." She said her office will continue to closely investigate its files to help determine whether it needs to file more motions on behalf of more than 50 of its clients.

    "We will work as quickly as we can on this, since it involves people who may have been wrongly jailed," Segars said. She praised the efforts of prosecutors, who she said were "moving expeditiously" to resolve the cases.

    The prosecutor's office believes many of the suspects involved were guilty of crimes, but Faulk said they would have been granted new trials had charges not been dropped.

    Faulk said he had little choice but to throw out all the cases in which the officers might have behaved improperly.

    "Since these defendants could not be retried or convicted without the testimony or evidence seized by one or more of these officers, the interests of justice required that we dismiss the charges or vacate the convictions and not pursue a retrial," Faulk said.

    Faulk said he would look into other cases with possible wrongdoing immediately if they're brought to his attention by lawyers or others.

    He decided to publicize the list of cases now to honor the state's open records law. News organizations including The Associated Press made requests for the information; all had been denied until now.

    The four remaining officers are being investigated by a federal grand jury, Faulk said. They have not been charged with any crimes.

    Parry, who pleaded guilty on Friday, could receive up to 10 years in federal prison when he's sentenced June 24.

    His defense lawyer, William J. Hughes Jr., did not return a call Friday.

    March 19, 2010
    Washington Post
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!