The sacked Government drugs advisor Professor David Nutt has said the legal drug linked to the death of a teenager is more dangerous than ecstasy.
Professor Nutt said legal high mephedrone, known as meow, was particularly dangerous because so little was known about it.
The legal party drug has been linked to the death of 14-year-old Gabi Price of Coleridge Road, Worthing last Saturday. Sussex Police are still waiting for the results of toxicology tests to show whether her death was caused by drugs.
Speaking on the BBC's Inside Out last night, Prof Nutt said: “This stuff mephedrone, or meow, we don't know how dangerous it is.
“It hasn't been properly tested. It is likely to be at least as harmful as speed. In fact it would be safer for people to do ecstasy where they now what they are going to take.
“If meow turns out to be as powerful as cocaine there will be problems. People get addicted to cocaine and this could be as addictive.”
Children as young as 11-years-old are reportedly taking the drug in Brighton and Hove, and school pupils were reportedly seen taking the drug on a bus last week.
December 1, 2009