1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP

Saddleworth dogs suffer 'toxic poisoning' after eating cannabis

  1. Basoodler
    Four dogs have suffered "toxic poisoning" after eating cannabis during walks with their owners near a Greater Manchester reservoir.

    Neil Rogers said his dog fell ill after eating something on a path near Dove Stone Reservoir, Saddleworth.
    "Patch was just totally out of it," Mr Rogers said.

    Vets who treated the seriously ill dogs said they had made full recoveries. Police have warned owners to report suspicious packages.

    Mr Rogers said: "When I got home he just collapsed and couldn't do anything, I realised he had eaten something."

    He said the dog had been eating something which looked like "fat seed balls you hang out in the garden for the birds".

    He added that he had taken his dog to the vet, who treated Patch for "toxic poisoning [as they] didn't know exactly what they were treating him for at the time".

    'Dilated pupils' Following the treatment, Mr Rogers returned to the area to collect some of the substance and took it to police. It was later confirmed to be cannabis.

    Veterinary surgeon Lorna Cook, who treated two of the dogs, said: "I haven't seen anything like this before.

    "We had two dogs with similar signs in quick succession so we knew there was something suspicious. Both dogs collapsed and had dilated pupils," she said.

    She said anyone who sees their dog ingest something unusual should contact a vet immediately.
    She added that the cannabis would "hopefully not" cause long-term damage to the dogs' health and that they should be "back to normal now the drug is out of their system".

    A spokeswoman for the canine charity Dogs Trust said cannabis was "poisonous to dogs", even in small amounts which would have little effect on humans.

    Greater Manchester Police said people should exercise caution while walking their dogs in the area near the reservoir and report any suspicious packages.

    1/8/13
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-20944439

Comments

  1. Baba Blacksheep
    Trouble is dogs will eat/chew anything.
    Once many years ago the dog got hold of an ounce of soap bar that was in a little cardboard stash box that had been left in the washing pile and chewed it up into little bits but can't have ingested anything as she was fine thank goodness but it was a cause of concern at the time.
    It is fairly rare for a dog to consume cannabis but anything for a story.
  2. DOG-CHOPPER
    A person i know has some plants she grows for medicinal reasons and her german Shepard has a munch on the leaves several times a day.
    She tried putting mesh around them and the pooch just seems to move the mesh or dig under it enough to nible on the leaves. She says its a real worry when her plants are small cause they get completely eaten.

    The dog is still very active but always has red eyes through growing season.
  3. Frmrjunkie
    edited due to double post. :( impatient me didn't wait for slow (tonight) server.

    sorry
  4. Frmrjunkie
    years ago i had a friend with an alaskan malamute that loved eating cannabis. the dog actually chewed through my friends pocket to get to the ounce of weed he'd left in it.

    Can find no scientific evidence that backs this up: A spokeswoman for the canine charity Dogs Trust said cannabis was "poisonous to dogs", even in small amounts which would have little effect on humans. Go figure...the media making up supposed facts, or bending a story to suit their purpose! (yes, that very much is sarcasm.)

    found this:
    Toxicity
    An LD50 has not been established in dogs or cats. Research
    in dogs and monkeys showed that oral doses of
    delta 9-THC and delta 8-THC ranging from 3,000 to 9,000
    mg/kg were not lethal, and all dogs recovered within 24
    hours of ingestion.5 At higher doses, clinical signs in
    monkeys persisted up to five days.5 No histopathologic
    lesions have been noted in dogs or monkeys.5 After ingesting
    3,600 mg/kg of delta 9-THC, rats developed mild
    to moderate lesions, including splenic hypocellularity,
    lung congestion, pneumonitis, thymic congestion and
    hemorrhage, and adrenal congestion
    from: “Marijuana exposure in animals” by Caroline W. Donaldson, DVM

    The dog in picture, attached to story looks to be about 40 pounds (18kg.) by the study utilizing 100% pure THC, said dog would need to consume up to 6 ounces of 100% potency THC or the equivalent in Marinol pills.

    Don't misunderstand me, i'm in no way advocating giving any recreational drugs to animals. Would never give my doggy anything that wasn't medically necessary. Just irritates me how the media feed people so much bullshit & many people eat it up as absolute fact.
  5. DOG-CHOPPER
    That Is very informative FRMRJUNKIE and interesting.

    I have seen dogs paralyzed from eating small amounts and the worst problem is making water available for them.
    The affected dogs i have seen always come good the next day without vet assistance.
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!