1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.

Serial Killer Who Dosed Victims with GHB Before Raping and Killing Them Found Guilty

  1. Beenthere2Hippie
    A serial killer has been found guilty of murdering four young men by poisoning them with lethal doses of a date rape drug. Stephen Port, 41, lured his victims to his London flat and secretly gave them GHB, the Old Bailey heard. Scotland Yard believes there could be more victims and is reviewing 58 deaths in London spanning four years involving the drug.
    Port, who denied 29 charges, will be sentenced on Friday.

    The chef was also found guilty of ten offences of administering a substance with intent, four rapes and four sexual assaults.

    'Missed opportunities'

    Between August 2014 and September 2015 Port murdered Gabriel Kovari, 22, from Lewisham, Daniel Whitworth, 21, from Gravesend, Kent, and Jack Taylor, 25, from Dagenham, east London. The jury also found him guilty of murdering Anthony Walgate, 23, from Dagenham, east London, by a majority verdict. The Metropolitan Police admitted it missed "potential opportunities" in investigating the deaths and has urged any other victims to come forward.

    The Independent Police Complaints Commission is currently investigating how the force handled the initial investigation into Mr Whitworth's death. Seventeen officers are under formal investigation.

    Port met his victims on dating websites, including Grindr, and coaxed them to his home in Barking for sex before giving them fatal doses of drugs. Their bodies were all found dumped in or near a graveyard within 500m of his house. He was found not guilty of three rapes relating to two living complainants.

    Grey line - At court: Danny Shaw - BBC Home Affairs Correspondent

    As the 12 jurors took their seats, there was an almost palpable sense of tension. Every day since Monday of last week, when the jury's deliberations began, relatives of Port's victims have gathered waiting for the outcome of this harrowing case.

    At 10:35, the jury forewoman was asked whether they'd reached unanimous verdicts on each of the counts and, if so, what that verdict was. When the first reply of "guilty" came back Port just sighed. But to his right, there were sobs, tears and hugs among the parents and siblings of those who were murdered.

    The trial had heard Port had an insatiable appetite for boyish-looking, smaller men, who he referred to as "Twinks." The Old Bailey was also told he trawled the internet for pornography involving impassive young men being "raped" by older men.

    Home videos were played to the jury of 10 women and two men which appeared to show Port allegedly enacting his drug-rape obsession.

    Gabriel Kovari was staying with Port as a temporary flatmate when he was killed in August 2014. Port called his sister to confess he had his body in his bed then dragged the 22-year-old to a nearby graveyard. He then constructed a web of deceit to divert suspicion, telling his neighbour that Mr Kovari had died of an infection in Spain.

    Port also invented a Facebook identity via which he told the Slovakian's boyfriend Mr Kovari had gone to a sex party with a man named "Dan." The same dog walker who found Mr Kovari's body also found Daniel Whitworth dead in the same spot in the churchyard and "lying in the exact same position" three weeks later.

    A fake suicide note was found in his hand which purported to be a confession by Mr Whitworth for Mr Kovari's death. It was later found to have been written by Port but at the time of Mr Whitworth's death police had treated his demise "at face value."

    Jack Taylor died on 13 September 2015, hours after meeting with Port following a conversation on Grindr. Following his murder, Port got rid of Mr Taylor's mobile phone and deleted their communication on the dating app. His body was found by a refuse collector with a needle and syringe in his pocket.

    Speaking outside court following the verdicts, Mr Taylor's family said: "Finally we have got justice for our Jack. He was a true inspiration to everyone who knew him. He was the life and soul of our family," his sister Donna Taylor said.

    Daniel Whitworth's family said they were still "bereft at the loss of a such a clever, talented and much-loved boy." His step-mother, Mandy Pearson, said the guilty verdict "has marked the end of a large part of our battle" but the family "have yet to concentrate on other areas of accountability."

    "The fight goes on until all our questions are answered," she said.

    BBC/Nov. 23, 2016
    Photos: Metro Police, BBC
    Newshawk Crew

    Author Bio

    BT2H is a retired news editor and writer from the NYC area who, for health reasons, retired to a southern US state early, and where BT2H continues to write and to post drug-related news to DF.


  1. Beenthere2Hippie
    Port Found Guilty and Given Life, Raising Brits' Concerns About Date-Rape Drugs

    [IMGR=white]https://drugs-forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=53169&stc=1&d=1480103444[/IMGR]LONDON — He found his young victims on gay dating sites, then drugged, raped and killed them before disposing of their bodies within a third of a mile of his East London apartment.

    The man, Stephen Port, who murdered at least four young men over 15 months and raped many more, was sentenced at the Central Criminal Court in London on Friday to life in prison, in a case that has appalled the country with its grisly details and raised serious questions about the quality of policing.

    All of Mr. Port’s victims were gay and in their 20s. They all died from overdoses of the date-rape drug GHB, also known as G or liquid ecstasy.

    Mr. Port, who came out as gay when he was 26, trawled social media sites like Grindr and Fitlads to find his victims. He lured them to his one-bedroom apartment, where he either spiked their drinks with the drug or injected them with it.

    The police have admitted that they might have missed opportunities to catch Mr. Port sooner and have refocused attention on the use of GHB as a possible weapon. Investigators are now looking into 58 other unexplained deaths in London involving the drug.

    All of Mr. Port’s victims were found slumped against walls in identical positions with their cellphones missing — a woman walking her dog found two of the bodies, in the same spot in a churchyard near Mr. Port’s home, three weeks apart. None were from the area. But the police treated the deaths as unrelated cases of drug overdose and suicide, apparently taking at face value the fake suicide notes that Mr. Port, a 41-year-old canteen chef at a bus depot, had planted on two of the bodies.

    Even when a relative of one of Mr. Port’s victims pointed out the similarities in a string of local deaths after doing an online search, officers initially refused even to consider the possibility of murder.

    The relative, Donna Taylor, the sister of 25-year-old Jack Taylor, Mr. Port’s last known victim, said she believed her brother’s sexuality had played a role in the police’s having overlooked important details.

    “It was seen as gay, drugged men in respect of they’ve just sat there, taken an overdose, and that’s that, as if it’s normal,” Ms. Taylor told the BBC on Thursday. “But all these bodies appearing is not normal, is it?”

    “We were just told that Jack was found up against a church wall and that he died of taking a drug overdose,” she said. “We knew that wasn’t Jack. We knew instantly that that wasn’t Jack — we knew there was more to this.”

    The body of Anthony Walgate, a 23-year-old fashion student from Hull, Mr. Port’s first known victim, was discovered in June 2014 just outside the communal entrance to Mr. Port’s apartment building.

    The other three victims — Gabriel Kovari, a 22-year-old Slovak citizen; Daniel Whitworth, a 21-year-old chef; and Mr. Taylor, a forklift truck driver — were found in the churchyard near Mr. Port’s home.

    Members of Mr. Taylor’s family, who say they believe Mr. Port would still be at large had officers not been pressed to re-examine the evidence, said they planned to sue the police.
    The Metropolitan Police Service of London has acknowledged that it might have missed opportunities to identify the killer sooner. The Independent Police Complaints Commission has begun a formal investigation into the actions of 17 officers, including whether “discrimination played any part in actions and decisions.”

    So far, the police have rejected the suggestion that the victims suffered discrimination because they were gay, saying in a statement that crimes against people who are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender, or L.G.B.T., are “taken extremely seriously.”

    “I hope Port’s conviction today offers reassurance to the L.G.B.T. community that if you have been a victim of crime, our officers will take you seriously, treat your situation with the utmost sensitivity and do their very best to bring offenders before the courts,” Cmdr. Stuart Cundy, of the specialist crime and operations command of the London police, said in a statement on Wednesday.

    Commander Cundy has offered personal letters of apology to the victims’ families for the missed opportunities to catch Mr. Port sooner.

    On Friday morning at the Old Bailey, as the Central Criminal Court is commonly known, Justice Peter Openshaw said that Mr. Port had committed murder to “satisfy his lust” for sex with young men in an unconscious state. He called Mr. Port’s attempts to cover up his crimes with forged suicide notes as “wicked and monstrous.”

    Mr. Port had placed a fake suicide note in a plastic sheet in the hand of his third victim, Mr. Whitworth, in which Mr. Whitworth appeared to acknowledge his role in the “accidental” overdose of Mr. Kovari, in that way trying to frame one of his victims for the death of another.

    In the note, Mr. Port even made a reference to himself: “Please do not blame the guy I was with last night, we only had sex, then I left. He knows nothing of what I have done.”
    Peter Tatchell, a gay-rights campaigner, said in a statement that the police had let Mr. Port “slip through their fingers,” noting that they had failed to check the handwriting on the apparent suicide notes.

    “Appallingly, even after the third murder, the police were still maintaining that the deaths were ‘unusual’ but ‘not suspicious,’” Mr. Tatchell said. “They did not issue a public alert to the gay community that a serial killer could be on the loose.”

    Alarm bells might have gone off when Mr. Walgate’s body was found outside Mr. Port’s apartment block.

    Mr. Port himself called the police. He claimed he had not seen Mr. Walgate before, but the police quickly learned that Mr. Port had hired Mr. Walgate through an escort service. Mr. Port then said that Mr. Walgate had overdosed at his apartment, and that he had been too scared to report it.

    Mr. Port was eventually jailed for lying to the authorities, but by then he had killed two more men.

    In June 2015, the coroner at Mr. Whitworth’s inquest said that she was not convinced that Mr. Whitworth had overdosed and that she suspected foul play; even then, however, nothing happened. Three months later, Mr. Port killed Mr. Taylor.

    By Katrin Bennhold - The New York Times/Nov. 25, 2016
    Photos: 1-CreditNiklas Halle'n, Agence France-Presse; 2-Port - Associated Press
    Newshawk Crew
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!