Hazmat teams tested a Westland, Michigan home after the landlord said she thought the former tenants were running a methamphetamine lab inside.
The fire department, police and Hazmat teams covered from head-to-toe stormed the home on Palmer Street Monday afternoon after receiving a panicked call from the homeowner.
The homeowner, Sue Walters, said she entered the home Monday for the first time in 20 years after kicking the tenants out and discovered a horrific smell.
"It makes me want to throw up. It's sickening," said Walters.
Walters said the stench smelled like ammonia, which is a key ingredient in homemade meth. Authorities tested the home several times and determined the smell was not ammonia.
"Not a meth lab. Just an un-kept house with a lot of cats. The cats urine turned to an ammonia-smell," said Michael Magda with Western Wayne County Hazmat team.
The scene was cleared, but the home remains uninhabitable at this time. Walters said she is going to hire a company to clean the home and she hopes to have it rented out again in the near future.
April 16, 2010