UK- A police sniffer dog came close to death after swallowing heroin during a drugs raid in Leeds.
Springer Spaniel Jazz was rushed to a veterinary surgery when his handler Pc Steve Wilson realised the dog had punctured a package with its teeth.
A veterinary nurse dashed to Bradford Royal Infirmary for an antidote as the dog's health deteriorated rapidly.
Jazz was treated in time and recovered sufficiently to return to duty after the scare earlier this month.
'My heart sank'
Recalling the incident in the Pudsey area of Leeds, Pc Wilson said: "Jazz located a package with a scent similar to that of the class A drug.
"As he picked up the package his teeth pierced the wrapping and some of the substance became attached to his teeth and gums.
"When I saw that Jazz had some of the substance on him, my heart sank as I knew it would make him extremely ill."
As the dog's health deteriorated Pc Wilson decided to take him to The Thornbury Vet Group in nearby Shipley.
"When we arrived at the vets, Jazz was in a really bad way but the team there were amazing," said the officer.
The dog was given a stomach pump, injected with an antidote and put onto a drip overnight.
"Jazz is back to full health and has returned to duty," said Pc Wilson.
"I'd like to pass on my sincere thanks to the veterinary practice for responding so quickly and with such professionalism."
As a result of Jazz's actions a man was arrested and a firearm and a quantity of suspected heroin was recovered.