An 18-year-old girl has died in Stockholm after overdosing on mephedrone, a drug that until now has been freely available for purchase on the internet.
After the girl's death at Karolinska University Hospital on Sunday afternoon, Swedish authorities took immediate steps to ban the drug, with the handling of mephedrone classified as a criminal offence as of Monday, December 15th.
The 18-year-old and some friends took the substance in combination with cannabis on Friday night. An ambulance was soon called to Bandhagen in south Stockholm after the girl went into convulsions and turned blue in the face, Svenska Dagbladet reports.
The dangerous stimulant can attack vital organs and is often likened to a cross between cocaine and ecstasy. As it smells of seafood, the substance is referred to by users in Sweden as 'krabba' (crab).
Published: 15 Dec 08 17:32 CET
Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.