1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
  1. Miss Match
    A Northland teenager became so psychotic after taking "magic mushrooms" he had to be strapped to a hospital bed by his hands and feet.

    The incident has prompted police to issue a warning about the dangers of taking the mushrooms, which have been "popping up all over the place" due to the recent rain and mild temperatures.

    Acting Senior Sergeant Peter Masters said the Kerikeri 19-year-old consumed the mushrooms on May 15 and was taken first to Bay of Islands Hospital in Kawakawa, then transferred to Whangarei.

    He was "out of control" in hospital and had to be cuffed to the bed by his hands and feet to stop him harming himself or others.

    Mr Masters said the mushrooms' active ingredient, psilocybin, was a class A controlled drug with a chemical make-up similar to that of LSD.

    Cannabis was by comparison only class C, which illustrated the seriousness of magic mushrooms.

    "I don't know why people do it. Why take the risk? You can end up psychotic, with mental health problems for life, or dead."

    Over the past few weeks, Far North police had fielded several complaints about people searching for mushrooms in private gardens, including one from a property owner who had called into the Kerikeri station just yesterday.

    Mr Masters urged anyone who saw people "fossicking in their gardens" for the fungi to call police immediately.

    "We're keen to get on top of this," he said. A Whangarei Hospital spokeswoman said the teenager had been treated and discharged.

    John Fountain, a medical toxicologist at Otago University's National Poisons Centre, said an overdose of magic mushrooms could make people "quite unwell" with seizures and toxic syndromes.

    The problem with mushrooms was that it was difficult to control the dose: "One day you might get the desired dose, the next you might get a lot more."

    Users could also do things while hallucinating that they normally wouldn't, such as trying to fly from a building, but the greatest risk came from picking the wrong kind of mushroom.

    The death cap mushroom, for example, looked similar to the untrained eye but could cause severe toxicity and even death.

    "There are some very poisonous mushrooms out there. Our advice is to be very cautious and not collect any mushrooms unless you really know what you're doing and are able to correctly identify them."

    The centre was fielding one mushroom-related call a day now mushroom season had started.

    Ross Bell, executive director of the New Zealand Drug Foundation, said the magic mushrooms were neither addictive nor toxic, but the effects depended on the dose, which was hard to control.

    "The risks are around what the hallucination is going to make you do - people can freak out quite a lot - and that you can think you have a magic mushroom, but instead you're ingesting a highly toxic wild mushroom."

    Mr Bell advised staying with anyone who was hallucinating and calling an ambulance.

    In 2007, heart transplant recipient Te Awhina Hawera, 23, from Hamilton, died after consuming magic mushrooms.

    By Peter De Graaf



  1. torachi
    Ok...so did he eat a death cap or psilocybe? They dont really make it clear, just that obviously he was going for the good kind.

    Oh noes! Kinda like living life, amirite?
  2. Miss Match
    So right!

    One thinks he had taken psilocybe... But clearly was not of sound mind and had a wee breakdown or something. Only a teenager too, so maybe a very high first dose ever or something...

    Mind you, Being hauled off to hospital and strapped to a bed wouldn't be pleasant anyway, especially while tripping off ones head.

  3. girlygrrl
    A friend of mine was institutionalized for two weeks after she took a very large dose of LSD. So one can definitely have problems with strong psychedelics especially if one is inexperienced or already has some sort of psychosis lurking around in their head.

    I read a trip report about someone taking too much 2c-e and having it cause her OCD-like symptoms for a majority of her trip where she kept repeating the same nonsense words for hours on end. Thankfully this symptom passed quickly at around T+13 hours, but she'd have been very freaked out if she didn't have a lot of prior psychedelic experience.
  4. EscapeDummy
    Come on, seriously? First of all the headline states 'magic mushrooms', but no matter how you look at it he clearly had psilocybin. The effects are consistent with that of a psilocybin bad trip completely - freaking out, being out of control, not death cap (in which one would experience kidney, liver failure, vomiting, diarrhea, weakness, coma and death).

    The article is pretty sensationalist though, no doubt about it.
  5. torachi
    Is there really a need to be against full clarification, if it can be had?
  6. Phungushead
    A few thoughts:

    You know what, though? Labrat and his friends can all stay pretty much under control while tripping, but I wouldn't doubt it for one minute that any one of them would start acting pretty damn "psychotic" if a member of law enforcement or any kind of emergency personnel got a hold of them.

    I guess the point is that it really doesn't exactly say what the situation or circumstances leading up to him being sent to the hospital in the first place - this kid could have been perfectly fine until someone started fucking with him.

    So what? Here in the US cannabis, psilocybin, and LSD are Schedule I, while cocaine and methamphetamine are Schedule II.

    Note how they quickly slip this in (indicating that the guy was fine once he came down), and then go straight back to the propaganda - trying to twist the story to look like he'd lost it long term.

    Anyway, there's a bit of truth in this article such as how dosage can be unpredictable, the whole dangerous misidentification thing, the lack of addictiveness or toxicity... but as a whole, a lot of sensationalist exaggeration mixed with flawed logic.

    Gotta love media hyped-up bullshit.
  7. Miss Match

    ... Don't you just love "News"!
    Always going to get a story like this during season though. Out of the thousands of people picking and consuming shrooms here at the mo, the one having a freak out cause he's being strapped to a hospital bed (surprise surprise) is what makes the papers. ..

    Makes me think of "Bill Hicks positive drug story" - check it on you tube.

To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!