Three in hospital after party
Eight people were taken to hospital early this morning after taking drugs at a Halloween party in west Dublin.
Dublin Fire Brigade was called to the party, which was taking place at three separate addresses at Annaly Court in Ongar, Dublin 15 at about 3.00am after a man fell ill.
A fire brigade spokesman said the man was taken to James Connolly hospital in Blanchardstown with what was initially suspected to be carbon monoxide poisoning.
The spokesman said the crew then returned to the scene and found a number of other people were seriously ill. They were taken to the hospital by ambulance.
At least four other people later presented themselves at the hospital but did not require hospitalisation.
It is believed they had taken GHB, which is also known as liquid ecstasy. When taken in high doses, GHB it can cause nausea, unconsciousness and even death, especially when combined with alcohol. The effects of GHB can last up to three hours, or longer if large doses have been consumed or if it is mixed with alcohol.
A hospital spokeswoman told The Irish Times that three men in their 20s are still in hospital having been admitted after they suffered a drugs overdose. One remains in a serious condition while two others are described as stable.
Gardaí said they were concerned that a number of other people who were at the party may have taken or been exposed to the drug.
A Garda spokesman said they were appealing to these people to seek urgent medical help and for family and friends to check on people who may have attended. “Some of those who attended may be living alone and we are anxious that those people are checked on and given medical advice without delay,” he said.
Gardaí have begun an investigation into the supply of the drug.
Anyone with information on the drug or can help identifying people who may need medical help is asked to contact Blanchardstown Garda station .