1. Dear Drugs-Forum readers: We are a small non-profit that runs one of the most read drug information & addiction help websites in the world. We serve over 4 million readers per month, and have costs like all popular websites: servers, hosting, licenses and software. To protect our independence we do not run ads. We take no government funds. We run on donations which average $25. If everyone reading this would donate $5 then this fund raiser would be done in an hour. If Drugs-Forum is useful to you, take one minute to keep it online another year by donating whatever you can today. Donations are currently not sufficient to pay our bills and keep the site up. Your help is most welcome. Thank you.
    PLEASE HELP
  1. Terrapinzflyer
    Consuming the drug can be harmful but rarely fatal

    Some veterinarians in Durango have seen a spike in the number of dogs poisoned by marijuana since the proliferation of medical marijuana dispensaries made the drug more accessible.

    “We used to see maybe one case a year,” said Stacee Santi, a veterinarian at Riverview Animal Hospital. “Now we’re seeing a couple a month.”

    Dogs can be exposed to marijuana through smoke or eating cannabis-laced foodstuffs.

    Recently, a large-breed dog was brought to the hospital stumbling, dribbling urine and exhibiting the classic symptoms of dilated eyes and slow heart beat, Santi said.

    “We induced vomiting, and up came a 3-by-3-foot piece of cheesecloth,” Santi said. “The cheesecloth could have been used to strain marijuana butter.”

    The butter, once infused with cannabis, can be used to make baked goods such as brownies.

    Jennifer Schoedler, a veterinarian at Alpine Animal Hospital, has seen incidents of dogs getting into marijuana since she came to Durango in 1998.

    “Dogs love the stuff,” Schoedler said. “I’ve seen them eat the buds, plants, joints and marijuana in food.”

    Just as the caffeine and theobromine in chocolate are safe to humans but poisonous to dogs, so is marijuana, Schoedler said. The darker the chocolate, the more pronounced the toxicity can be.

    The level of intoxication varies according to the size of the dog and concentration of marijuana, she said. It almost always requires a stay in the hospital, she said.

    Eric Barchas, a veterinarian in San Francisco, says on his website that he treats “stoned dogs” on a regular basis.

    “Serious, long-term health consequences and fatality from marijuana intoxication are essentially unheard of,” Barchas writes on his site. “However, pets that are exposed to marijuana may display anxiety and are prone to ‘bad trips.’ They may lack the coordination to consume food and water.”

    Makenzie Rennick at Durango Animal Hospital said the clinic hasn’t seen any marijuana-ingesting dogs recently but had four or five during the summer.

    “We don’t know where they got the marijuana,” Rennick said. “It could have been where they live or someplace else in the neighborhood.”

    Other prescription and over-the-counter medications also are a threat to pets. The American Veterinary Medicine Association and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration have joined forces to prevent pets from ingesting household medicines and to keep out-of-date or unwanted medicines out of waterways,

    The effort aims to educate people about proper storage and disposal of medicines. The animal poison control center of the Association for the Protection of Cruelty to Animals reports that medicine for humans was the leading cause of toxicity in pets in 2010.


    By Dale Rodebaugh
    Herald Staff Writer

    http://www.durangoherald.com/articl...ts-see-more-dogs-snarfing-humans’-medical-pot

Comments

  1. Terrapinzflyer
    [IMGL="white"]https://www.drugs-forum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=23814&stc=1&d=1325004042[/IMGL]Marijuana Use Is on the Rise ... Among Dogs and Cats

    Like their humans, animals are known to consume marijuana. In fact, many have long known that pot producers in the northern counties deer-proof their marijuana plants, else docile does and bucks will chew on the buds and leaves. This author once knew a parrot who liked to consume cured bud, as well as stems and seeds, and would actually seek out these mood-altering treats.

    Perhaps all this sounds surprising until you stumble across this fact: There's been an increase in marijuana use among dogs, cats, and other domestic pets, according to a report out of Colorado.

    Since the legalization of medical marijuana in Colorado, there's been a dramatic "spike" in the number of furry companions being rushed to the vet after mistakenly (or happily?) consuming marijuana, according to a report in the Durango Herald. Vets reported a 30-fold increase in these cases -- and it's not likely to abate, as long as the threat of the semi-legal devil medicine is among us. "Dogs love the stuff," one vet told the newspaper.

    Whoa.

    The good news is that this is a relatively benign epidemic. According to a study performed by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals's Animal Poison Control Center, only two deaths out of 250 pet pot cases have been reported -- a cat and a horse, both of whom had other outstanding medical issues.

    The ASPCA's study is a bit dated, but if we are allowed to extrapolate, dogs are much more likely to go for an owners' stash, be it a plate of brownies or a bag of bud: About 96 percent of cases involve dogs, while cats are busted munching marijuana only 3 percent of the time. All other pets comprised 1 percent of the total number of cases.

    Typical signs of marijuana exposure in pets are loss of muscle control, agitation and anxiety, excessive vocalization, dizziness and confusion, extreme lethargy, and reactions to sounds that may resemble seizures -- and in some cases, loss of bladder control. Heh.

    In Colorado, most cases stem from a dog chowing down on marijuana-laced food, though the ASCPA did report one case of a Fido eating three grams of raw bud.

    Here in San Francisco, there have been reports of "dog owners blowing smoke in their pets' faces," according to Animal Care and Control Director Rebecca Katz. On one recent occasion, Katz said she received a complaint as part of a "domestic dispute." However, Katz says she can't think of a time when the city has intervened and removed a marijuana-using mutt from a household, or levied fines on their laissez-faire humans.

    Katz recommended SF Weekly try local vet clinics to see if pet pot use is on the rise here, too. We contacted several local -- and respectable -- veterinary clinics, but they did not immediately respond to requests for comment. However, we did get some answers from San Francisco vet Eric Barchas, who has on his website an entire entry dedicated to the subject, entitled "Marijuana Intoxication in Cats and Dogs."

    Poisoning or intoxication caused by marijuana resembles poisoning by other substances, Barchas writes; the difference is that marijuana intoxication runs its course in a few hours, and the regimen of treatment is usually nothing more invasive than "nursing the pet and preventing anxiety," Barchas writes.

    Pets may become dehydrated if they're too ripped to remember how to drink water, but other than that, "Serious, long-term health consequences and fatality from marijuana intoxication are essentially unheard of," Barchas notes.

    However, there is a risk of poisoning from chocolate if the dog's method of medicating was a chocolate-laden brownie, Katz told SF Weekly.

    So should you get your pet stoned? Probably not. But if Spot does snack on your bud at home, just do as any stoned human would: Dim the lights, lower the volume on the stereo, and let your dog chill out.


    By Chris Roberts
    Tue., Dec. 27 2011

    http://blogs.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/2011/12/marijuana_use_increasing_--_am.php
  2. nitehowler
    That brings back a few old memories... This bloke i new about ten years ago (looked a little like me in my younger days) cooked up some leaf butter using a pound in about 5 litres of water and a pound of butter. Stirring ocassionaly on low heat simering for about 2 hrs , then left to cool for an hour before leaving in fridge over nite.Returning the next day removing the butter from the top keeping it intact to flip over and scrape the unwanteds away then using this butter to cook with cookie mixes from shop.Test drove cookies to near no effect ..probably cause the young bloke smoked too much super skunk and red devil . So the young bloke gave a couple to his trusty ridge/rotty .An hour later i thought woofer had a parralasis tick and checked him over and realised what was going on ...poor red eyed woof ....
    The missus came home and freaked out wondering if woof had a tick i said i checked him ... i was too scarred to tell her and could not sleep all nite .. i made sure he had water rite next to him and sprayed small amounts with a mister to keep his mouth wet ..the next day he was fine ... i told my missus what happened the next day and she said that if she new that yesterday she would have killed me ... poor woof my roo chasen freind..
To make a comment simply sign up and become a member!