Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > VARIOUS DRUG RELATED TOPICS > Drug News > Miscellaneous News
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Miscellaneous News Miscellaneous News about drugs

Old 17-05-2011, 23:09
Palladium Member

57 y/o Male from United States
Balzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline Medline
Points: 7,086, Level: 12 Points: 7,086, Level: 12 Points: 7,086, Level: 12
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%
Recovering addict describes Brazil's deadly new drug

He does not want his full name used, and he asked me to protect his identity, so I’ll just call him ‘Elias'.

He lives in Rio Branco, the capital of Acre - the tiny Brazilian state that borders Bolivia and Peru in the Amazon region.

Elias once had a good job as a technician, a loving wife, and two kids aged three and seven. He almost lost it all when he got hooked on a new drug sweeping Brazil called Oxi - a deadly cocaine bi-product twice as powerful and addictive as crack.

Elias has been in drug rehabilitation three times in the past couple years.

Below is his first-hand testimony about his experience with Oxi and the great lengths he went to get his next hit.

The interview, which has been slightly condensed and edited for clarity, was conducted in-person in Rio Branco.

Gabriel Elizondo: Do you remember the first time you used Oxi?

Elias: I was living in Bolivia at the time. I was studying and working there. One weekend I was drinking, and I said I was going to go to Brazil. I went to the city of Epitaciolandia in Brazil.

I crossed the border from Bolivia, just to have a beer, and I met some people. They offered me a can and said, ‘try this.’ It was Oxi. I tried it and I fell in love with it. And I could never leave it.

That was 2005. From there it started to go downhill for me.

GE: You told me that before you used Oxi you used some marijuana and cocaine. How is Oxi different from those drugs?

Elias: Oxi is a drug that is a prime material to make crack cocaine. But Oxi is more pure. The effect of Oxi is very strong. When I used it, I could not go without it. The desire to use it was very big. It is so powerful, that in a matter of weeks I was totally addicted. I didn’t eat. I didn’t feel hungry. You lose hunger, and you’re desire for sleep.

But above all, it is very cheap. One rock can get you four inhales and it’s only five reais (about $3). Compare that to cocaine, which is about 100 reais a dose (about $61).

Oxi is cheap, you have easy access to it, and it is more devastating than other drugs and does more damage to your body faster.

GE: Oxi was first noticed in Brazil 2005, here in Acre state. You live here, in the capital, Rio Branco. Has the drug had an effect on the people here in this city?

Elias: Oxi is a very popular drug now here in Rio Branco. It’s a drug that is devastating and getting everyone addicted. Before, when I lived in Rio Branco 20 years ago, there didn’t exist as many addicts because at that time Oxi didn’t exist. And then after that Oxi appeared on the streets, many people got addicted to it.

On the streets today I see people I used to use the drug with and they are like zombies walking around, going crazy.”

GE: How did your use of Oxi effect your family?

Elias: I would leave my house to use Oxi, and left all my family at home. My kids would start crying saying ‘dad, dad!’ I don’t like to remember this.

My kids suffered a lot. When I left to use the drug they stayed at home crying ... When I speak about my kids I get very emotional, it’s very hard. One time I even sold my kids new clothes to buy Oxi.

GE: Did your kids understand your drug addiction? And what about your wife?

Elias: My kids are very innocent, they are very young. They don’t understand a lot of things.

But the older one, when I used Oxi at home, he told me, ‘father why do you smoke, you get weird when you smoke that?’

When I smoked in the house my kids could smell it; the smell stays inside the house. All of this still weights heavily on me. I can’t believe I made my kids smell that.

GE: And your wife?

Elias: “My wife is a woman who never quit on me. But one day she old me, ‘OK, you have to choose between me and your kids, or Oxi.’ I chose Oxi. You can see how strong that drug is. And since I picked the drug she then said, ‘OK, I won’t quit on you, because I have faith in you.’

And until today she is still here with me. We have been together 16 years.”

GE: Your worst moment using Oxi was when?

Elias: One time when I was smoking Oxi, my heart was beating so fast I fell on the ground and passed out. And then I woke up and saw the drug, and I used it again. I smoked it again.

At that point, I knew I was going to die. I got to a point that I could not live any longer with the drug or without the drug.

GE: You are in the final stages of your third attempt at drug rehabilitation. Do you think you will ever relapse to use Oxi again?

Elias: No, I will never return to that because I look at myself in the past and I don’t want that anymore in my life.

Today I can sit at the table with my family to have lunch. I can enjoy a birthday party with my kids. I realized that I don’t want to go back – there was too much suffering. But I admit, occasionally the desire for the drug is still there.”

This interview was conducted last week in Rio Branco, Brazil.

By Gabriel Elizondo
Americas
05/16/2011
http://blogs.aljazeera.net/americas/...eadly-new-drug

Post Quality Evaluations:
Very informative post, never heard of "Oxi" in my life.
Attached Thumbnails
1q.jpg   1qq.jpg   1qqq.JPG  
Old 17-05-2011, 23:14

63 y/o Male from United States
jmcc is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1 Points: 6, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Re: Recovering addict describes Brazil's deadly new drug

Crack is a walk in the park compared to booze.
I can take it or leave it usually prefer to take it.

this adds nothing to the discussion
Please don't gunk up the news forum with useless comments - no points taken because you are new
Off-topic and adds nothing to discussion
Old 17-05-2011, 23:25
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

26 y/o Male from USA - Kentucky
Moving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond reputeMoving Pictures is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 5,767, Level: 11 Points: 5,767, Level: 11 Points: 5,767, Level: 11

Just after sunset, two skinny young men in their twenties sit in shadowy corner of a park in this city. They have a cigarette lighter, hand made pipes, and a small, yellowish-white coloured rock.

They ask that their full names not be used, and their identities be protected.

One of the young men - using the pseudonym "Joao" - gently places the rock on the aluminum foil that covers one end of the pipe, making sure it doesn't drop on the grass and get lost in the dark.

Looking at the rock, Joao mumbles: "This is to make my mind go to sleep."

Then he ignites the lighter, puts the pipe to his lips, and slowly burns the rock whilst inhaling deeply.

He passes the lighter to his friend sitting next to him, who repeats the process himself.

"It's so good," Joao says, trying to hold the smoke in his lungs as long as he can. "The pleasure of this drug is at this very moment. When you inhale, it's the first five seconds that is the ecstasy of this drug, when it comes to your brain. You feel your ear making a buzzing sound. You forget everything. The only thing in my head right now is the sensation of the drug."

It's one of the most destructive new drugs hitting Brazil - called "Oxi" on the streets - and has its origins here in the Amazon region. It is cheap, powerful and lethal. So lethal, in fact, that odds are both these two young men, if they continue to smoke it, will be dead within a year.

What is Oxi?

On the surface, Oxi is not a particularly unique drug. It is a derivative of cocaine paste, the clay-like foundation product used to make crack and refined powder cocaine. To make Oxi, chunks of freebase cocaine are soaked in gasoline. When gasoline is not available, kerosene is sometimes used. It is then mixed with limestone powder, a product used in construction. Easily attainable household solvents, like cleaning chemicals, are also sometimes added to the toxic mixture. In the final process, the rocks are dried, often simply under the sun, and then sold on the streets for consumption.

According to police, with cocaine paste as the main ingredient, Oxi can be made very easily and cheaply without the need for a background in chemistry - unlike refined powder cocaine, which needs the infrastructure of a laboratory to produce, and is much more time-consuming and complicated.

"The process [to make Oxi] can be done anywhere, by anyone," Marcelo Moscardi, head of the Federal Police office in Rio Branco, Brazil, told Al Jazeera. "It's a very simple process."

The end result is that Oxi is considered almost twice as powerful as crack or cocaine.

"The difference between [Oxi] and crack is that crack usually has about 40 or 50 per cent purity, but based on our studies of what we have confiscated, [Oxi] is being made from freebase cocaine that has 80 to 90 per cent purity," Moscardi said. "That is why everyone says it's stronger and the effects of addiction faster, and consequently it is considered a better drug by the users."

Because Oxi is so easy to make, it is cheap - the average price for one rock being five Brazilian reals, which is the equivalent of about three American dollars. Sometimes, a rock of Oxi can sell for as cheap as one American dollar.

The 'Amazon drug' that is spreading in Brazil

Officials in the Amazon region of Brazil first started hearing drug users refer to Oxi in about 2005.

Officials say Oxi had probably been used as early as the late 1980s, but was likely mistaken for crack cocaine.

Oxi is often referred to as 'the Amazon drug' because it first appeared in the tiny northwestern Brazilian state of Acre. With a population of only 732,000, Acre is just a small sliver of Brazil that borders both Bolivia and Peru - two of the largest producers that import freebase cocaine paste into Brazil.

Last year alone, federal police in Acre confiscated over 500 kilos of base paste cocaine, according to Moscardi. That number has increased every year since 2005, he said. But with thousands of kilometres of porous borders in the thick Amazon forest, analysts say that Brazilian police likely confiscate less than 15 per cent of the total amount of cocaine coming into Brazil.

From Acre, much of that cocaine paste is sent to other parts of Brazil, to be turned into refined powder cocaine in clandestine labs. But increasingly, because it's so easy to make, it's also being turned into Oxi.

Because it is cheap, Oxi was initially used primarily by people from lower economic classes. Combined with the fact it first appeared in the Amazon region of Brazil, the drug is often called "an Amazon drug for the poor".

But that is now changing. Oxi has already gripped most of Brazil's seven northern states that make up the Amazon region, and in recent months it has been seen in large population centres in the south of Brazil.

Last week more than 1,000 capsules of Oxi were confiscated from a woman in downtown Sao Paulo - the largest Oxi bust ever in that city. In Minas Gerais, also in the southeast of the country, a man was caught with a chunk of Oxi weighing 506 grams - the first time the drug has been seen in that state - which is enough to make over 100 little rocks. And in Rio Grande do Sul, in the far south of Brazil, police last week found someone with 300 grams, also the first time the drug has been seen in that state.

Last week alone officials in four different Brazilian states announced their first apprehensions of Oxi traffickers.

In the past few months, Oxi has also been identified in the capital of Brasilia, as well as the states of Mato Grosso do Sul, Parana and Bahia.

"This can no longer be called only an Amazon drug for the poor," Alvaro Mendes, a researcher who helped conduct the first study of Oxi back in 2005, told Al Jazeera. "Back in 2005 it was mostly in Acre, but now it's in all the Amazon region and spreading to the rest of Brazil. It's also now being used more and more by middle and upper-middle class."

Federal authorities in Brazil have yet to publicly announce any national policy to combat Oxi, but Mendes thinks that needs to change. "We urgently need a focused, national policy to combat this drug," he said.

Deadly effects

With Oxi quickly spreading to all parts of Brazil, it has triggered a wave of national media attention in recent days, all with the same basic question: "What is Oxi?" Nowhere can that question be better answered than in Rio Branco, the otherwise quiet and picturesque capital city of Acre, bordering the meandering brown waters of the Acre River. This was the first city to be hit by Oxi back in 2005, and it's here where the drug has run rampant, causing a public health emergency.

At almost any hour of the day, men and women hooked on Oxy walk the streets of the central part of the city in a trance-like state, their frail bodies deteriorated by the effects of the drug. They are mostly un-bathed, and many are barefoot, some even wandering aimlessly through traffic.

Oxi ravages internal organs, causes severe weight loss and critical brain damage. But it is highly addicting; most users who try it get hooked in the first try.

The immediate effect after smoking it lasts only three to five minutes, so most users say they are always looking to get their next hit. A user can normally get five inhales on one rock, extending the total buzz from one rock to roughly 20 to 30 minutes, depending on how experienced the user is and how long the smoke is kept in their lungs.
Regardless of the prowess of the user, the effects do not last long, and leave the victim searching for another hit soon after they finish.

Many Oxi users are so desperate for the drug, they consume it for days or weeks at a time in abandoned buildings. One former user in Rio Branco told Al Jazeera that many users forget about basic things - such as personal hygiene - and therefore sleep in their own faeces in drug dens.

Elias, another recovering addict interviewed by Al Jazeera who asked his full name not to be used, said he once sold his kids' new clothes in order to pay for the drug. "One day my wife said, 'choose between me and your kids, or Oxi'. I chose Oxi. That shows you how strong that drug is," he said.

On another night, Al Jazeera met with a current Oxi user in Rio Branco, who also asked his name not to be used. He is 24 years-old, and says he smokes Oxi two or three times a day, seven days a week.

He has a family, he said, but prefers to sleep in abandoned buildings with other Oxi users. He has no identification documents. When he is not using Oxi, he says he spends his time picking through garbage looking for food, or simply wandering the streets looking to buy his next hit.

"It's a good drug," he told Al Jazeera. "I use it because it's like a temptation of the enemy that urges you to use the drug." He said he uses Oxi because the effects are powerful and it's cheap. He says he is aware the drug kills quickly, but says he can't stop.

Mendes, the researcher, said Oxi is the most addictive and powerful drug he has ever seen. "In the 15 years I have been working with chemical dependency, I have never seen a drug with such a potential of destruction as Oxi."

In his 2005 study, Mendes tracked 80 Oxi users for over a year, and 34 died while the study was still being conducted.

"When a person starts using Oxi, on average they die within one year," Mendes said.

Back at the dimly lit park, it has been about 25 minutes and "Joao" and his friend have smoked both the rocks they had. The immediate buzz has worn off, but before they leave, Joao has something he wants to say: "I once saw a man force his wife to sell her body as a prostitute just so he could buy Oxi. A person will do anything for this drug. You lose your shame when you take Oxi."

Joao and his friend then stand up, put their pipes in their pockets, and walk off.

Soon, they’ll likely be looking for their next hit.

As Oxi's clenched grip on the Amazon tightens, its toxic fingers are starting to creep outward towards new parts of Brazil.

Gabriel Elizondo is an Al Jazeera correspondent based in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Follow him on Twitter @elizondogabriel

This article was reported from Rio Branco, Acre, with assistance from video journalist, Maria Elena Romero.

Al Jazeera will air a two part series on Oxi in Brazil on Tuesday, May 17 and Wednesday, May 18.

http://english.aljazeera.net/indepth/features/2011/05/201151795043176476.html

Nice addition! Thanks for posting this
Old 17-05-2011, 23:26
Palladium Member

57 y/o Male from United States
Balzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline MedlineBalzafire must mainline Medline
Points: 7,086, Level: 12 Points: 7,086, Level: 12 Points: 7,086, Level: 12
Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5% Activity: 0.5%

Oxi: A New Drug in the Amazon

As if the devastating effects of crack use – which has spread through the south and southeastern regions of Brazil – were not enough, a new drug was recently discovered in the state of Acre on the Bolivian border. Possibly one of the most potent and dangerous drugs known, “oxi,” or “oxidado,” (“rust”) as known by its users, is a variant of crack. The difference is that, in its manufacture, instead of adding baking soda or ammonia to cocaine hydrochloride (the method for creating crack), kerosene and quicklime are added to produce oxi. “We had an idea that this drug existed, but no scientific study had proven so,” says Álvaro Ramos, president of the Acre Harm Reduction Network (REARD in its Portuguese initials.)

Between 2003 and 2004, REARD investigated 75 cases people using drugs made from the discarded leftovers of Bolivian cocaine production. In the beginning, the focus of the study was to follow the use of mescla, or merla – a drug widely used in Acre cities – and its users’ vulnerability to AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases. Mescla is a rudimentary relative of crack, produced from discarded cocaine byproducts combined with other chemicals such as lime, kerosene, acetone, battery acid, etc. “It depends on the dealer and the products he might have at hand,” says Álvaro Augusto Andrade Mendes, another member of REARDS.

The project, financed by the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, ended up discovering a hard reality: in the border cities, oxi had replaced mescla, with even more harmful effects.

Oxi Cities

Brasiléia and Epitaciolândia are cities well known to those who study cocaine trafficking between Bolivia and Brazil. They are poor cities, with surrounding communities living on riverbanks, their inhabitants living in wood houses suspended on posts. It shares the same riverbed with the northern Bolivian city of Cobjia. The most common route used in the production of cocaine, oxi, and mescla, according to sources at REARD, begins in Peru, going towards Bolivia through Brazil, where the roads are better, until it reaches the Bolivian Amazon, where it is transformed into cocaine, crack, or mescla. Then, it returns to Brazil. “The river that separates the two countries is long, and floods in the rainy season but becomes shallow when the rains stop; one can then cross on foot. This greatly facilitates smuggling,” explains Álvaro Mendes.

It was in those two border cities that a REARD team carried out its investigation, working with oxi addicts. The study was not without problems: “Users are accustomed to hiding, we had to search them out and gain their trust,” says Rodrigo Correia, one of the researchers involved in the fieldwork. Correia saw the reality of the neighborhoods where the drug is distributed: “They were very impoverished neighborhoods, and the people were very poor as well. The houses were made of wood, most of them along the rivers, without basic sanitation, without running water, without basic conditions of hygiene. I interviewed people between the ages of 18 and 35, who had already been consuming oxi for some time. All of them, without exception, were unemployed,” though some worked for traffickers in high seasons for as much as twice the minimum wage, or 600 reais (US$243). Among those interviewed, 62.5 percent had children but only 20 percent lived with their families.

Sold in rocks – which can be yellowish or whitish depending on the amount of kerosene or quicklime, respectively – oxi’s major attraction is its price: while mescla costs between five and ten reais (two to four dollars) for a rock that will produce three cigarettes, oxi sells for between two and five reais (one or two dollars) for five rocks. “It is a popular drug, undeniably, but depending on the season the price rises; if it’s the rainy season, or if the police step up their patrols,” Álvaro explains. Aside from the social problems that clearly push these youths into using the drug, their proximity to the smuggling route also opens the doors to them. According to Rodrigo Correia, many of the people they interviewed worked or had worked as “mules” – crossing the border carrying drugs – or as dealers. “Many of them suffer from the influence of friends that consume or are involved in trafficking. But the biggest issue behind oxi is that it is a faster drug, it has a stronger effect, and is the only thing they can see for themselves, as they have no options in life.”

The “Fissure”

This lack of options could not be more deadly. Highly addictive, the rock is smoked, like crack, out of an aluminum can pierced with holes, making the smoke purer and the effect even stronger. But there are also cases of oxi being grounded up and smoked in cigarettes, together with marijuana or tobacco, or snorted as powder. Whichever way it is consumed, it is always accompanied with alcohol – the Brazilian liquor cachaça, beer, or something worse. “Many take it with alcohol – not alcohol meant for drinking, but “blue cap” alcohol, as they call it, mixed with fruit juice.” This “blue cap” alcohol is simply ethyl, used as a household disinfectant.

For addicts, alcohol use is nearly indispensable, as REARD’s researches discovered, because of a characteristic of oxi known as the fissura, or “fissure.” Rodrigo explains what he heard in his interviews: “At the beginning, they have a sensation of euphoria, a high. Then comes fear, feelings of persecution, paranoia.” The drug only produces that euphoria in the moment it is consumed, and each rock lasts around fifteen minutes. Alcohol works between smokes to maintain the high, in a ritual that goes on for more than six hours, usually at night.

To get more of the drug and more fissura, it is common for the users to resort to petty theft or prostitution, which makes them more vulnerable to AIDS and other sexually transmitted diseases. The lack of attention from public health authorities has led to little knowledge of safe sex among the population, making the problem worse. “In this investigation we found that both the beginning of drug use and the beginning of sexual activity begin between the ages of 9 and 14, a figure that alarmed us,” says Álvaro Mendes.

Ghosts

Extremely harmful to the body, oxi’s use disturbs the nervous system and produces paranoia and constant fear. But beyond that, “they get nervous, sometimes lose weight very quickly, take on a yellowish color, have liver problems, stomach aches, headaches, nausea, vomiting, and constant diarrhea,” says Álvaro. After more than five years in harm reduction work, Mendes says that he was never so shaken as when he witnessed oxi consumption. “When [the user] had finished smoking the rock, swallowing the smoke in his mouth, he fell down vomiting and defecating, and had his high in the middle of his vomit and feces, until he got up to smoke another.” Another alarming fact, this time in numeric terms: around 30 percent of those the team interviewed died within one year – the great majority from the effects of the drug, although some had also died participating in robberies or smuggling.

Another cause of sickness and death is the paranoia, which causes addicts to avoid getting help. Rodrigo says he came across the case of an 18-year-old boy who was terrified of going to the hospital and refused to be medicated, although he had an exposed wound. “Every time he entered the hospital, he would run away if he wasn’t secured. He was just treating himself, without consulting a doctor. I could see he was wasting away. Skinny, in terrible physical shape, without any personal hygiene, he looked like a ghost. That’s the way you who has been taking drugs for a long time out there, if you pay attention: the one who looks like a ghost.”

“Marked” Users

But something that should be generating concern and care on the part of the government has instead generated disgust and contempt. According to the professionals who studied the drug’s effects, there is still a great deal of prejudice. Álvaro says that many health workers will not even go near the users. “In program I ran, trying to bring health workers to the users, it was all very clear: I stood in the middle of the street, with the users on one side and the health workers on the other.” Álvaro says that in these cities in the country’s interior, users are often “marked,” sometimes by the health workers themselves, for “spreading the problem around the city.”

The police act no differently. REARD’s report makes it clear that in the border cities, users are much more persecuted and suffer from much greater repression than in the state capital, Rio Branco. “In some places, that can’t stay in the street past a certain time, because the police demanded that they go home. If they didn’t leave, they’d be thrown in jail, which is absurd, because you can’t stop someone from being in a public street,” complains Rodrigo. The team related this situation to the Epitaciolândia city authorities, who were quick to say that they would resolve the sitation, as only a few members of the police force had this “habit.”

A Commitment from the State

To fight a drug so damaging, harm reduction work is more than necessary. However, what the REARD personnel found was complete indifference on the part of the authorities. “They need to establish a connection with the users, talk to them about the damage that this kind of drug causes and the cautions they should take when they consume,” says Álvaro. A few simple measures, such as making sure to drink water, taking vitamin C, not consuming “blue cap” alcohol, and taking care of the place where they take drugs would be very positive steps, and could even avoid a “total failure.” REARD has met with state officials to create a specific policy towards oxi users. But, for Álvaro, “there is a lack of commitment from the government, especially at the state level, because generally they accept a demand from above, but not from a nongovernmental organization.”

On May 24 REARD will meet with Acre state officials, representatives of the Health Ministry, and health officials from Peru and Bolivia. And to continue their work, the organization will soon lead an investigation with oxi users specifically. “There are many things we still do not know,” said Mendes, “such as what is that biological cause of the oxi deaths, and what other substances are used in its fabrication.”

By Natalia Viana
Special to The Narco News Bulletin
May 13, 2005
http://www.narconews.com/Issue37/article1288.html
Attached Thumbnails
1qqqq.jpg  
Old 18-05-2011, 01:50
Palladium Member

Male from Earth
Ghetto_Chem is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumGhetto_Chem is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumGhetto_Chem is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumGhetto_Chem is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumGhetto_Chem is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumGhetto_Chem is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumGhetto_Chem is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumGhetto_Chem is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumGhetto_Chem is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumGhetto_Chem is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumGhetto_Chem is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum
Points: 7,017, Level: 12 Points: 7,017, Level: 12 Points: 7,017, Level: 12
Activity: 31.2% Activity: 31.2% Activity: 31.2%

So could anyone please explain how this drug is different? They keep talking about what it is, but never really explain what it is. As far as swims friend got... its pretty pure cocaine freebase made with quicklime and kerosene. If this is the case why do the effects sound so much different from those of regular purified crack cocaine.

Swims friend has done 80-90% pure crack and has to say although its addicting he has never fell down into his own feces and vomit until he took another hit. And doubts that the leftover kerosene residue or quicklime would have any real major activity to them.

It seems that alcohol is almost a way of life amongst these addicts, maybe its the cocaethylene being produced in their bodies thats making them die off faster than the normal crack/cocaine user. Have any tests every been done on this drug?

BTW awesome thread! Never once heard of Oxi and actually thought they were going to talk about how Oxycontin has taken over South America.

Peace
Old 18-05-2011, 02:41
Silver Member

Male from France
Herbal Healer 019 really adds to the discussion.Herbal Healer 019 really adds to the discussion.Herbal Healer 019 really adds to the discussion.Herbal Healer 019 really adds to the discussion.Herbal Healer 019 really adds to the discussion.Herbal Healer 019 really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,177, Level: 5 Points: 1,177, Level: 5 Points: 1,177, Level: 5
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

LOL to me this sounds just like a misconception among users that the drug is somehow different from crack because of the process used to make it.

I'm pretty sure this is just freebase cocaine (crack) made directly from coca leaves rather than reverted back to freebase from cocaine HCL.

So basically it goes coca leaves > cocaine freebase (oxi) > cocaine HCL > cocaine freebase (crack)

Obviously the cocaine HCL used to make crack is less pure than something that was just extracted from coca leaves hence the higher purity of "Oxi" compared to crack.

Nonetheless I enjoyed reading this. Thanks.
Old 18-05-2011, 03:01

49 y/o Male from Germany
MRuckes is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1 Points: 22, Level: 1

I have got only one simple question.If the manufacturer of the drug uses freebase with a percentage of 40 to 50 cocaine, produces the drug you call oxi
and has afterwards a substance with a purity of 80 to 90 percent, how can he sell it cheaper than the freebase?
Isn´t the result of the manufacturing process of the drug a much smaller mass of material?
How can it be cheaper then?
Old 18-05-2011, 15:47
Palladium Member

Male from Earth
Ghetto_Chem is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumGhetto_Chem is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumGhetto_Chem is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumGhetto_Chem is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumGhetto_Chem is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumGhetto_Chem is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumGhetto_Chem is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumGhetto_Chem is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumGhetto_Chem is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumGhetto_Chem is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forumGhetto_Chem is living in mutualistic symbiosis with drugs-forum

Exactly MRuckes, just doesn't make sense.

And to herbal-healer, how would the cocaine hcl be less pure than the Oxi itself? Usually less steps to the final product result in lesser purity as there isn't as much purification. Its easier to make and is more direct of a process but never is explained how its so pure and how its so cheap. They even say that its taking over cuz its easy to make from crude products while the cocaine hcl needs a lab to produce, if all these products are so crude and the people performing the reactions are average then the product would be crude as well.

Although swims friend does agree H-H, that its probably just a misconception like in the US between freebase cocaine and crack cocaine. They are the same thing only different bases are being used, if the "crack" is cleaned up it will be just as good as the freebase.

Its just not adding up in swims head.

Peace
Old 19-05-2011, 17:18
Palladium Member

Male from Earth

After reading around a bit it seems that the solvent used can vary from gasoline, kerosene, and acetone. There is also mention of battery fluids being used as well, which just adds to the confusion. Swims friend found a good picture of the rocks but then lost it. They had an off-white almost tan color, and were very dull looking. Almost like shitty cocaine that had been compressed.

It had absolutely no pearly shine or other indicators of high purity of cocaine. And also in every place swims friend looks they talk about how its made from coca paste. Then they automatically start talking about freebase cocaine and how its used. How do they go from coca paste to freebase cocaine in there reasoning? The coca paste may have some freebase cocaine in it, but nowhere near enough to be 80-90% pure.

Also how are they making a freebase product from already freebased cocaine??? This just all doesn't make any sense. This has got to be another drug completely.

Peace
Old 19-05-2011, 18:07
Silver Member

Male from France
Herbal Healer 019 really adds to the discussion.Herbal Healer 019 really adds to the discussion.Herbal Healer 019 really adds to the discussion.Herbal Healer 019 really adds to the discussion.Herbal Healer 019 really adds to the discussion.Herbal Healer 019 really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,177, Level: 5 Points: 1,177, Level: 5 Points: 1,177, Level: 5
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghetto_Chem View Post

And to herbal-healer, how would the cocaine hcl be less pure than the Oxi itself? Usually less steps to the final product result in lesser purity as there isn't as much purification. Its easier to make and is more direct of a process but never is explained how its so pure and how its so cheap. They even say that its taking over cuz its easy to make from crude products while the cocaine hcl needs a lab to produce, if all these products are so crude and the people performing the reactions are average then the product would be crude as well.

Although swims friend does agree H-H, that its probably just a misconception like in the US between freebase cocaine and crack cocaine. They are the same thing only different bases are being used, if the "crack" is cleaned up it will be just as good as the freebase.

Its just not adding up in swims head.

Peace
Crack can be made straight from coca paste without having to be reverted from cocaine HCL.

The process in making cocaine goes: coca leaves> coca paste > cocaine base (crack) > cocaine HCL.

Its just that street crack always comes from being made from cocaine HCL

My guess is oxi is just cocaine base made straight from coca paste; so oxi would be more pure because it isnt being reverted back to cocaine base from cut cocaine.

And in the article they even say "it's an extremely simple process, anyone can do it" well the easiest way to make cocaine base is just straight from coca paste rather then going the long route; coca paste > cocaine base (crack) > cocaine HCL > gets smuggled to other countries > makes it to the ghetto after being cut 3 or 4 times > reverted back to cocaine base and compressed into rocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingPictures View Post
According to police, with cocaine paste as the main ingredient, Oxi can be made very easily and cheaply without the need for a background in chemistry - unlike refined powder cocaine, which needs the infrastructure of a laboratory to produce, and is much more time-consuming and complicated.
<<obviously they arent even using cocaine HCL; they are just going straight from paste to cocaine base (crack) by redissolving the coca paste in a non polar solvent and adding a base (lime) and ending up with a superior 80-90+ percent pure product whereas ussually it would end up going through the more complicated method of making cocaine HCL then cutting it and bricking it up, smuggling it, where it passes through more hands (who also cut it) then getting reverted back to cocaine base which produces a less pure final product.

Last edited by Herbal Healer 019; 19-05-2011 at 18:25.
Old 19-05-2011, 18:16
Titanium Member

Female from United States
east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.east_of_eden really adds to the discussion.
Points: 848, Level: 4 Points: 848, Level: 4 Points: 848, Level: 4

"In his 2005 study, Mendes tracked 80 Oxi users for over a year, and 34 died while the study was still being conducted."

this is crazy. i wonder if this high fatality rate is actually due to the drug being that much more dangerous than other drugs or if the people being studied were in a poverty level with lack of basic care that one would get in the U.S. or other such countries.

there's got to be other factors involved than just the drug use to have close to a 50% fatality rate in the course of a year.
Old 19-05-2011, 18:32
Palladium Member

Male from Earth

Coca paste is 30-80% in strength. It is already in its freebase form. So lets go over why this is not making sense.

When the coca paste is added together with some quicklime and kerosene, then laid out to dry this would only further increase impurities as there is no final clean up of the end product. There is no way this 30-80% paste could turn into a 80-90% pure product just like that.

Next, why is there being a base added (lime) when its already in its freebase form. Makes no sense, it would only further add impurities and doesn't change the product at all.

Finally cocaine hcl can usually be found in higher purity than 30-80% in swims friend opinion. Crack around his area is almost always near pure even on the streets. So just because there is less steps does not mean that there will be a better final product, more steps usually means more clean up of the product in question.

Peace

Last edited by Ghetto_Chem; 19-05-2011 at 19:00.
Old 20-05-2011, 16:32
Gold Member

Female from USA - Massachusetts
kailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond reputekailey_elise is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 11,272, Level: 15 Points: 11,272, Level: 15 Points: 11,272, Level: 15

Quote:
Crack around his area is almost always near pure even on the streets. So just because there is less steps does not mean that there will be a better final product, more steps usually means more clean up of the product in question.
Yeah, the crack in my area is pretty pure; if 'recooked', you almost get the whole thing back.

There may be some misunderstanding in that, more steps usually means a smaller yield, but what is yielded is far more pure, so it's worth it.

Going straight from paste to base...wouldn't that have more alkaloids in it? Sort of like the difference between East Coast USA H4 heroin (a highly purified powder mostly consisting of diacetylmorphine) & West Coast USA Black Tar Heroin (a very crude, not very purified mass containing DAM as well as morphine, 6-MAM & other assorted alkaloids)?

While H4 is obviously the cleaner, "superior" product, many people prefer the unrefined-ness of BTH, because of the nuanced high provided by the different alkaloids.

Could it be something like that? Perhaps it's not actually purer than "traditional" crack/'freebase' cocaine (I don't see how it could be, from the info we've been given), but perhaps people are assuming it's purer because it feels stronger - but the strength is really just the person getting hit by various active alkaloids?

Do we have a chemistry-minded cocaine fiend around? Or perhaps just a prolific drug researcher? What alkaloids are 'active' in coca paste? What might happen to them if based & vaporized?

~Kailey

Asking the right questions can be an half journey to the right answers. Good redirection of the discussion.
Old 20-05-2011, 16:55
Palladium Member

Male from Earth

Thank you!

Thats probably exactly why this product is different. The coca paste is basically coca leaves basified and extracted with non-polar. So its all the alkaloids of the the plant. Swims friend has always wondered what a full spectrum extract would be like of cocaine in comparison to pure cocaine itself.

Ya the crack in some areas of the US is almost too good for people to handle swim thinks. Most of the time the cook up process cleans up alot of the water soluble impurities, and crack dealers know that as long as the product is good they can sometimes make em small when they want the extra cash. Thats swim experience.

A quick search from Wiki (sorry hes lazy right now lol) yielded this...

Besides cocaine, the coca leaf contains a number of other alkaloids, including methylecgonine cinnamate, benzoylecgonine, truxilline, hydroxytropacocaine, tropacocaine, ecgonine, cusohygrine, dihydrocusohygrine, nicotine and hygrine.

Of course we all know how reliable this info can be so take with a grain of salt, especially seeing nicotine in there. But he doesn't know.

Swims friend thinks that out of those alkaloids the ones that may be of some interest to why this product sounds better than normal crack cocaine, is hydroxytropacocaine and tropacocaine. Pretty sure that tropacocaine has activity to it and is written about in a book by Otto Snow.

Peace

Very informative, as have been all your posts in this thread. Thanks for sharing your knowledge!
Old 31-05-2011, 09:50
Platinum Member & Advisor

Male from Japan
Benga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 7,553, Level: 12 Points: 7,553, Level: 12 Points: 7,553, Level: 12

http://www.guardian.co.uk/society/20...-south-america

Oxi: Twice as powerful as crack cocaine at just a fraction of the price
A highly addictive hallucinogenic has exploded on to South America's drug scene, with devastating consequences

The snakes come at night, darting out of the shadows and into Marcelo's subconscious. "You start thinking, 'There are people coming! The police are coming! A snake is coming! Everything is coming!' You panic. But there is no snake. No police. There's nobody there. There's nothing. You're just tripping out."

Marcelo is an illiterate 24-year-old drug addict whose home is a sliver of cardboard on the streets of Rio Branco, a riverside city in the Brazilian Amazon. His drug of choice is oxi, a highly addictive and hallucinogenic blend of cocaine paste, gasoline, kerosene and quicklime (calcium oxide) that is wreaking havoc across the Amazon region.

Oxi, or oxidado – "rust" – is the latest drug to surface in the Amazon. It is reputedly twice as powerful as crack cocaine and just a fifth of the price.

"It is terrifying," said Alvaro Mendes, an outreach worker in Rio Branco from the state of Acre's Harm Reduction Association, the NGO that first detected the drug. "The majority of first-time users become addicted on their first contact with the drug. Most of them go seven to 10 days without sleeping, without eating. They start to go into a process of degeneration. After months of use … they go into a state where they look like zombies, wandering … in search of pleasure."

Described as a cheaper and deadlier successor to crack, oxi sells for about R$2 (75p) a rock and is smoked in pipes improvised from cans, pieces of piping and metal taps. According to Mendes, whose support group works with slum-dwellers, prostitutes, transvestites and homeless people who are hooked on the drug, oxi can kill within a year.

"The difference between cocaine and oxi is like the difference between drinking beer and pure alcohol," said a federal police operative on the Peru-Brazil border, who refused to be named.

Oxi surfaced in the Amazonian border region between Brazil, Bolivia and Peru in the 1980s, and is said to have been originally used by a small number of hippies who came to the region to experiment with ayahuasca, a hallucinogenic plant native to the Amazon rainforest.
In the past five years, however, its use has exploded, particularly in the slums and rural communities of Acre state in the western Amazon, where it is peddled in street-corner drug dens known as bocadas. Mendes estimates there are at least 8,000 oxi users in Acre's capital, Rio Branco, a city of 320,000 inhabitants.

But oxi is no longer just an Amazonian drug. A series of recent suspected seizures in cities such as Sao Paulo, Brasilia and Rio de Janeiro have propelled it into the national headlines. Health workers and politicians warn of a catastrophe if its spread is confirmed.
"The Brazilian state is unprepared to face this threat and to help its victims," José Serra, a leading opposition politician and former governor of Sao Paulo, wrote in a recent column in the national daily Estado de Sao Paulo, describing oxi on his Twitter account as a "weapon of mass destruction".

Despite growing concern, authorities admit the exact nature of oxi is a mystery. "Oxi's existence has only come to our attention very recently," said Elenice Frez, the police chief in Assis Brasil, a tiny town on the border between Brazil and Peru that is a notorious route for traffickers. "It is a new thing and we don't yet have all the technical details of what oxi really is and the damage it can cause to someone who becomes addicted and uses it constantly."

Mendes says users often suffer from paranoia, vomiting and uncontrollable bouts of diarrhoea. Tooth loss can happen within months. "I've never seen such violent scenes of drug use," he said. "It is very depressing."

Oxi's route into Brazil begins in small border towns such as Epitaciolândia, next to the dust-clogged settlement of Cobija, in Bolivia, a country that is one of the world's biggest cocaine producers.

On condition of anonymity, an addict agreed to escort the Guardian to his oxi den, hidden in the jungle that encircles the town.
Crouching, he picked his way through a mesh of thorns that cut into his legs. After a five-minute trek he arrived at a clearing. A carpet of torn aluminium cans littered the forest floor and empty cigarette lighters had been tossed under the trees.

Scraping the remains of his last hit from the inside of a drinks can, the addict painted a bleak picture of the drug's powers.
"I cry," he said. "I cry because I want to give this shit up. My family say: 'Get out of it son.' I tell her: 'Mum, in the name of Jesus I will.'"
A short drive away, Epitaciolândia's police chief, Sergio Lopes de Souza, pulled two R$70 rocks of oxi, seized the previous day, from an evidence bag.

"The effects of oxi are so devastating," he said. "When a person starts using oxi they spend days just using, without eating properly. They start to become very thin, almost skeletons, and they want to use more and more. If you do not stop you are a candidate to either die of an overdose or of other consequences of the oxi."

In a shantytown on the outskirts of Rio Branco, dirt-caked fingernails fumbled with a red pipe as another of the city's users prepared yet another hit. Sitting next to a dirty metal spoon and a packet of Paraguayan cigarettes, the 21-year-old user reflected on his lot.

"This is a dog's life. This is the kind of drug that makes you sell your own clothes," he muttered. "My whole family ignores me. I used to be a worker. I liked to have my things. Today they look at me and call me a punk.

"I have lost it all," he concluded as cars raced past on a nearby highway. "I had it all, and in the same moment I lost it. All because of oxi."

Last edited by Terrapinzflyer; 31-05-2011 at 15:14. Reason: line breaks
Old 31-05-2011, 09:55
Platinum Member & Advisor

Male from Japan
Benga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond reputeBenga is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 7,553, Level: 12 Points: 7,553, Level: 12 Points: 7,553, Level: 12

not sure how the crude drug described in the articles above is any different from bazuco / paco / guarapo and other crude freebase products of cocaine processing that have been smoked by pit workers for years now.
pretty harmuful and toxic stuff due to chemical leftovers...

more info on what seems to me be identical products here

bazuco /guarapo/ dirty cocaine sulphate /base

The 10p cocaine byproduct turning Argentina's slum children into the living dead

Paco - The Cheap Side Product of Cocaine that is Blasting Buenos Aires

Coca to cocaine, various discussions on cocaine extraction

An outstanding contribution to this thread. Thnks for compiling this.
Old 31-05-2011, 21:32
Silver Member

Male from Norway
Synaps is a decent psychonaut.Synaps is a decent psychonaut.

From the articles, it is clear that this is simply crack of higher purity but where the by-products are far more harmful.

Quote:
Swims friend has done 80-90% pure crack and has to say although its addicting he has never fell down into his own feces and vomit until he took another hit. And doubts that the leftover kerosene residue or quicklime would have any real major activity to them.
It has everything to do with life situation. The people in the articles are homeless people living in the slums with little to live for. They'd probably get addicted down into their feces of anything, be it heroin, crack or this oxi.

That last comment deserves some rep, thanks for adding it.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:13

46 y/o Male from Canada
majicdragon is an unknown quantity at this point

this oxi, if it is base taken directly from the coca-leaf as opposed to base gotten from HCl, it would not have gone through an oxidation process. This would mean that as well as cocaine-base, there would be all the other base-able stuff from the leaf... nothing removed. this could be where we can't understand because we have no first-hand experience?

and i heard that cocaine degrades quickly... that in a base form it lasts longer...

perhaps this is a reason for the stronger, more addictive quality of oxi? it stays in base-form from the start and therefore retains full potency ?

my feeling is that oxi is non-oxidized coca-paste that has been soaked in acetone and pressed till dry. this is the product that is one step away from being un-oxidized cocaine... that's the yellow stuff. when they make that stuff from the paste nowadays, they do it right in the jungle-lab. they simply disolve the dried-pressed paste into acetone and add HCl in a semi-specific quantity and stir, then pour into a rag and strain ? then they nuke the stuff to evaporate the acetone?

very interesting... alluring.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:40

46 y/o Male from Canada
majicdragon is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdragon View Post
my feeling is that oxi is non-oxidized coca-paste that has been soaked in acetone and pressed till dry.
er... rather, they add enough acetone to the paste to make it into a dough-like ball, and they wrap that in a rag and press it with a weight...

i don't know why this is, but that's a whole other topic.

oxi may be it's name because that is the next step if it were to be made into HCl... like calling a hen a "fryer"... but it's still raw and not frying. it's named after the next step it would have to go through to be cocaine ?

on a personal note, i believe swim has made and smoked some oxi from some leaves ordered from the internet... if so, no wonder why it seemed WAY MORE POWERFUL THAN ANYTHING. lol... to swim.

Share this on:

Tags
brazile, cocaine paste, crack cocaine, drugs, new drug