Register Tags

Notices

Kratom Mitragyna speciosa

Old 10-05-2013, 09:34

25 y/o Male from United States
nlockman is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
How long does it take to become physically addicted to kratom?

So SWIM is a weird person to be asking this question.

Two years ago SWIM quit everything. SWIM was full blown meth user for a year at that point and almost committed suicide through a combination of ambien and alcohol, thankfully SWIMS family got SWIM to the doc in time.

Afterwards SWIM quit everything. The only thing SWIM had ever been addicted to besides mentally was meth though. So quitting everything else was kind of a way to get away from that. Unfortunately since about six months of quitting SWIM have been dealing with desires to drink, smoke weed again, all of the above. Up until a month ago all SWIM did was turn his head sadly and just try ignore it.

Then SWIM found kratom.

So far SWIM has been very responsible with it. Taking three days or so in a row and then taking one or two days off. SWIM took it five days in a row though, and he knows that's too much. What SWIM is really worried about is if taking the one or two days off will be enough?

SWIM doesn't want to be physically addicted to anything ever again. SWIM loves this stuff though. It's finally something safe, cheap, natural, clean, and ohhh so nice that SWIM come home and use to get rid of the stress he feels throughout my day.

SWIM is an athlete. SWIM is a xc skier, on a ultimate team, basketball team and soccer team throughout the year. This so far has not affected his activities which is super important to SWIM. So you can see how SWIM is so enthralled by it, to be able to have a means of physical relaxation like everyone else.

SWIM doesn't want to feed into alcohol, which is what a lot of his friends and family have suggested when he tries to explain them his desires to fill this void in him. SWIM is open to other natural things to, but first he is playing with kratom.

So to reiterate, will SWIM risk physical dependence only taking one or two full days off between kratom use, or is he going to have to take 5-7 days off every ten days or so or something like that?

Post Quality Evaluations:
swim is no longer appropriate. please do not use
Old 10-05-2013, 12:47
Platinum Member & Advisor

39 y/o Male from Ireland
ianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 27,761, Level: 24 Points: 27,761, Level: 24 Points: 27,761, Level: 24
Activity: 99.9% Activity: 99.9% Activity: 99.9%
Re: How long does it take to become physically addicted to kratom?

One day off really is not enough.
I would suggest that to avoid raising your tolerance you leave two full days off after every day you use it, and take a week off here and there to check if there are any signs of withdrawal.
Keep in mind that kratom can be psychologically addictive too, and cravings can be an issue.

You dont mention how much kratom you use, or what type?

I recommend you avoid all extracts and enhanced products.
Stick to plain kratom leaf/powder and make sure that you ar buying it from a good vendor.
If you have not done so already you should read the 'Guide to buying Kratom' https://drugs-forum.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=200101

Its great that you were able to break your other addictions, well done.
Its unfortunate that you have started using drugs again, but i think that using Kratom is a lot less dangerous and harmful than Meth or Alcohol.
If you are going to continue to use it then you are right to want to do as much as possible to avoid addiction. Like any other addictive drug the difficulty is to maintain sensible use. Its too easy to turn two days a week into 4 days a week and then before you know it you are taking it every day and your tolerance is rising and it is getting out of control.

Helpful, sound advice, given in a friendly manner
Old 11-05-2013, 08:13
Titanium Member

Male from United States
DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.DiabolicScheme really knows their shit.
Points: 1,724, Level: 6 Points: 1,724, Level: 6 Points: 1,724, Level: 6
Activity: 27.5% Activity: 27.5% Activity: 27.5%

I lasted over a year with kratom being a weekend warrior type event, my addiction started around the time I started foolishly justifying use on wed. as well, so I was using 3 times a week. Then I came into extra money and guess what this guy bought? More kratom.

Now I had an excess of kratom stashed and justified daily use because 'I had plenty' now its been going on for a year and aside from some freak euphoric incidence here and there kratom is pretty much taken because I am too tired to function normally without it and hate the withdrawals. Kratom just keeps me 'normal' now.

I second Ian, you are pushing your luck with that frequency, I would taper down and then cut it down to 2 days a week, not only will the stuff work better when you do take it, it will also keep the risk of dependency down.

Remember that how much until addiction occurs is a question that cant be answered, we are all different. For me, in retrospect it was opening the door to a 3rd day that started it for me as well as an excess of stock.
Old 22-05-2013, 11:51

25 y/o Male from Netherlands
LarsD is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1 Points: 15, Level: 1

Strange... When I do Kratom I usually take very moderate doses but do so almost every day. Then when it runs out (I buy only 50g's a time) I stay away from it for a week or two and then get some more. When I have it I use it. But when I don't have it it's like I quit coffee for a day or two and then I'm fine...

Even if I use every day the effects remain nearly the same (no placebo here...). Perhaps it's because of the low dosage (about 4-6 G's a day in one go) or something.
Old 23-05-2013, 06:33
Silver Member

38 y/o Male from United States
Cousin Merle really adds to the discussion.Cousin Merle really adds to the discussion.Cousin Merle really adds to the discussion.Cousin Merle really adds to the discussion.Cousin Merle really adds to the discussion.Cousin Merle really adds to the discussion.Cousin Merle really adds to the discussion.
Points: 776, Level: 4 Points: 776, Level: 4 Points: 776, Level: 4

It depends a lot on how much you are taking and how often on the days you are taking it.

Plain leaf kratom (not extracts) is not incredibly physically addictive compared to a lot of substances, but psychological addiction is a whole nother story....

I had a period of about 3 months where I took kratom 5 days a week with 2 days off. I then took a break for a week with no withdrawls other than mild irritability and road rage. I was only taking it once or twice a day though, and never more than 8-10 grams total per day.

Taking it 2 or 3 times a week should not cause physical addiction as long as you stick to that regimen. I would not recommend extracts or enhanced blends either, as they are more potent and more addictive than regular plain leaf.
Old 18-11-2014, 04:03
Silver Member

Male from United States
servo75 is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 214, Level: 2 Points: 214, Level: 2 Points: 214, Level: 2

That's what I've heard. I do not take extracts at all. My routine is Friday and Saturday I'll take 8 capsules both nights (so each day about 4-5 grams). Then I take Monday & Tuesday off, take a low dose (about 3-4g) Wednesday. So once per day about 3x per week, average about 4-5 grams each, stay away from extracts and use different strains. I've been using this pattern for about 2 years and still feel the effects. Then again I take it because it helps calm my mood and gives a real gentle euphoria. On occasion I might have a bad week and take it four nights, but that's rare. Then again, on some nights I can get a decent effect from as little as 2.5mg of Oxy so I think my tolerance is generally low.

I do have a question though: It's said that a good way to minimize tolerance levels is to mix up strains. Now does that mean red vs. green vs. white? Or can, say, Indonesian Red Vein and Sumatra Red Vein be considered different strains? Or are they considered the same because they're both red? I usually cycle between Red Ven Wildcraft, Red Vein Sumatra, Green Bali, and Maeng Da. Hopefully that's enough to keep my receptors guessing I also do ONLY prepacked capsules which some say is ineffective but it works well enough for me, and I get them from a reputable place that ONLY sells kratom caps.

We can all read the above post, no need to quote it. Just address your post to the person you are replying to.

Last edited by servo75; 19-11-2014 at 03:45. Reason: removed original quote (sorry)
Old 18-11-2014, 17:39
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from United States
Nickelass is captain of the psychonauts.Nickelass is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 410, Level: 3 Points: 410, Level: 3 Points: 410, Level: 3
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Servo, where have you heard that mixing up strains minimizes tolerance? Interesting if it's true but I've never heard anything like that. If I had to guess I'de say mixing up strains wouldn't really help with tolerance because while they are different strains I'de imagine they all have similar alkaloids. Like with weed, tolerance isn't minimized if you change up the strains because all the strains contain THC and other cannabinoids.
Old 18-11-2014, 21:47
Silver Member

Cousin Merle really adds to the discussion.Cousin Merle really adds to the discussion.Cousin Merle really adds to the discussion.Cousin Merle really adds to the discussion.Cousin Merle really adds to the discussion.Cousin Merle really adds to the discussion.Cousin Merle really adds to the discussion.

My experience (and many others from what I've heard) is it is better to rotate strains. For many people, if you take the same strain for too long it stops becoming effective. Not everyone experiences this, but a lot of people do. I wouldn't mix the strains together, if that is what you are talking about. I would just rotate which strains you are using, which it sounds like you already are. I'm not sure if it minimizes tolerance or not, but in my experience it does help keep the kratom effective over the long term. Since you're only taking it 3 times per week, this is probably less of an issue for you- it becomes more of an issue with people that take it daily, like myself.

As for tolerance reduction, the only 2 things I've found that work are:

1. Taking a break - at least 1 week or longer if possible

2. Reducing your normal dose for an extended period of time. You won't notice effects from it right away,
but eventually your tolerance will go down.

3. Incorporating kratom stem & vein - I highly recommend this one- supposedly it has tolerance-reducing compounds in it, and this has held true in my experience.
Old 19-11-2014, 03:43
Silver Member

Male from United States

Yes it's known as "Stagnant Strain Syndrome" or "Single Strain Syndrome." I don't understand scientifically the difference between the alkaloids, but I've seen it on enough websites that it has some validity I think.

And yes I mean rotating strains, not mixing as in combining them. For instance, right now I have a supply of both Maeng Da and Red Vein Wildcraft. So in one week I'll probably take two doses of one, one dose of the other, and mix in some Kava, Valerian, or leftover Oxy to change things up. I find this keeps my tolerance down, at least so far. Sometimes I can even get a good feeling from as little as 2.5mg of Oxycodone or 3mg of Kratom. It doesn't give a real strong euphoria, but I'm not really looking for one - just a relaxing semi-euphoric calm that eases my mood.

I read in another thread about a user who gives a "points" system, like it's not so much about how many days you take Kratom, it's about the total consumption over long periods of time. I generally will take Kratom 3 times per week (Friday & Saturday + one other night) and very rarely a 4th time, so maybe 14 times per month at an average dose of 4-4.5g. I'd rather get a nice mild euphoria every other night than get "stoned" once or twice a week, but that's how I roll.
Old 21-11-2014, 07:49
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by servo75 View Post
Yes it's known as "Stagnant Strain Syndrome" or "Single Strain Syndrome." I don't understand scientifically the difference between the alkaloids, but I've seen it on enough websites that it has some validity I think.

And yes I mean rotating strains, not mixing as in combining them. For instance, right now I have a supply of both Maeng Da and Red Vein Wildcraft. So in one week I'll probably take two doses of one, one dose of the other, and mix in some Kava, Valerian, or leftover Oxy to change things up. I find this keeps my tolerance down, at least so far. Sometimes I can even get a good feeling from as little as 2.5mg of Oxycodone or 3mg of Kratom. It doesn't give a real strong euphoria, but I'm not really looking for one - just a relaxing semi-euphoric calm that eases my mood.

I read in another thread about a user who gives a "points" system, like it's not so much about how many days you take Kratom, it's about the total consumption over long periods of time. I generally will take Kratom 3 times per week (Friday & Saturday + one other night) and very rarely a 4th time, so maybe 14 times per month at an average dose of 4-4.5g. I'd rather get a nice mild euphoria every other night than get "stoned" once or twice a week, but that's how I roll.
Sounds like you have a pretty good system. It should keep you from any physical addiction to the kratom pretty much indefinitely. I rotate strains and continue to get pretty good effects from the kratom even though I take it daily. My goal is to improve my self control to the point where I can take it like you do - several days a week, but not daily.
Old 21-11-2014, 22:38
Silver Member

Male from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cousin Merle View Post
Sounds like you have a pretty good system. It should keep you from any physical addiction to the kratom pretty much indefinitely. I rotate strains and continue to get pretty good effects from the kratom even though I take it daily. My goal is to improve my self control to the point where I can take it like you do - several days a week, but not daily.
Yes though I've been a bit bad this week, I took SOMETHING almost every day, though still only 3 doses of Kratom. I have a supply of Maeng Da because that's a stronger strain and I don't need as much of it. On weekends I may take one of the red veins, up to 5g. I remember one time last month I took 6g of Maeng Da and it was definitely too much for me to handle - I got anxious, jittery and queasy. Now when I do Maeng Da I limit it to 4g and under and while the effect isn't real strong, it's enough to get me through the night.

I don't know whether I take small doses because I just have a low tolerance to Kratom or just low expectations of its effects. Either way it works for me.
Old 07-12-2014, 19:14
Silver Member

Male from United States

I find in the last couple of weeks, with finals approaching, and lots of stuff going on in my personal life, to be cranking up the frequency (but NOT the dosage) a bit. Lately I've been taking about 3-4g once every other day. I've done a lot of research on the Internet about tolerance and most of them say do not take it more than once a week. I read a lot of posts here about people taking it daily (does that include more than 1x/day? That I would never do), and I take it on AVERAGE every other day (sometimes two days in a row and skip two days).

So my current "habit" amounts to about 3-4g 4x/week, so we'll call it 14g / week. All plain leaf capsules. Say what you will about capsules, I get them from a reputable website that sells only Kratom capsules, and they've always worked for me. The extract stuff scares me. That seems to me a pretty small dose, and in two years I have not increased my dose at all, so I think the chances of addiction are small.
I wonder if it's all about long-term / average weekly dose instead of how many times you take it.

As for effects, no withdrawals though I confess I may have developed a minor psychological addiction in that I have a desire to take it 3-4 times per week when I used to do Friday & Saturday only with an occasional week off. But I don't think it's a physical addiction because I haven't increased my dose at all and still get mostly the same effects I used to. The only difference is that in the old days the euphoria was slightly stronger but then it would put me to sleep. Nowadays it doesn't put me to sleep and the euphoria isn't quite as strong, but I can't complain - I still get a nice gentle calming which is really what I"m looking for. On days when I don't take it I do notice some minor depression and irritability, but like I said my life is generally more stressful these days so I don't really attribute it to withdrawal, it's just that I didn't feel as much of a need back then because my life was overall happier.

Still I'm searching around for alternatives that I can take during my 1-2 day breaks so I do not become a daily user. So far I've managed to avoid that.

Do not post the same thing in more than one thread.

Last edited by servo75; 07-12-2014 at 19:39.
Old 07-12-2014, 20:56
Silver Member

26 y/o Male from United States
Nickelass is captain of the psychonauts.Nickelass is captain of the psychonauts.
Points: 410, Level: 3 Points: 410, Level: 3 Points: 410, Level: 3
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

Lol, why post the same thing on 2 different threads? Doesn't seem necessary in my opinion.

Anyways I've heard some great things about people using kava for opioid withdrawls or just taking it when they want a few days break. I think it's worth looking into at least.
Old 09-12-2014, 03:42

kevin529 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1

I'm not really experienced with Kratom so I'll leave that to others, but I just want to give you a word of advice.

Based on your history, please be very careful.
With SWIM, whenever she starts dabbling in something "safe" like kratom, it doesn't take long until it just turns into a tease for what she really wants.
SWIM can never use anything somewhat regularly, even years after her addictions, without eventually running back to her old ways.

You fought so hard to get clean, make sure you don't ever do anything that can take that away again.

Your 32 posts in, you should know not to use SWIM
Still using SWIM despite warnings
Need to read the rules again.
Old 10-12-2014, 04:13
Silver Member

Kava can be a great option to take on your days off. Like kratom, it can take some experimentation to find out which variety works for you and what the best method of ingestion is. Kava is not physically addictive, so that is a big bonus. There is a whole kava thread here on this site you can mine for info if you are interested.

Why are you taking the kratom? I mean, there are a lot of legal herbs/supplements that can help with a wide variety of conditions, but it depends on what you are using it for. If it is just for recreational purposes, kava is probably one of the better options.

I would strongly suggest avoiding daily use, unless you are treating something like chronic pain with your kratom. I was able to use daily for quite awhile before becoming physically addicted, but eventually it did snag me. I was able to quit pretty easily when taking only 1 - 2 doses per day, though. It was when I started taking 3-4 doses a day that the physical addiction really set in. Even 4 days a week at the doses you are using will not produce physical addiction, but it is treading a fine line.
Old 10-12-2014, 17:44

30 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Fathom21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 88, Level: 1 Points: 88, Level: 1 Points: 88, Level: 1

I spent a good 6 months with a few two three day breaks, then I started getting panic attacks on Kratom and decided to quit, the withdrawals were so bad I have ended up in rehab, I'm typing this from my bedroom in rehab now. I'm on day 21-22 clean and it's still hell but I hope I've turned a corner now as the suicidal depression is less from all day to 5 hour bouts of it now I pray every day to God to get through this and wouldn't wish what I'm going and been through on my worst enemy
Old 15-12-2014, 04:53

kevin529 is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1 Points: 36, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathom21 View Post
I spent a good 6 months with a few two three day breaks, then I started getting panic attacks on Kratom and decided to quit, the withdrawals were so bad I have ended up in rehab, I'm typing this from my bedroom in rehab now. I'm on day 21-22 clean and it's still hell but I hope I've turned a corner now as the suicidal depression is less from all day to 5 hour bouts of it now I pray every day to God to get through this and wouldn't wish what I'm going and been through on my worst enemy
Congratulations on getting clean bud! I know it's hard but you're almost out of the woods, keep going!
Continue praying for strength and He will give it to you. I would highly recommend that you pick up a Bible and begin to learn about your Heavenly Father, He will take your life and make it something beautiful.
Keep going man, you're headed in the right direction. PM me if you'd like to chat.
Remember:
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me - Philippians 4:13
Old 18-12-2014, 18:26

nlockman is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1 Points: 26, Level: 1

Hey there all, long time no talk.

I just wanted to let you all know, over a year later, what happened with Kratom and myself.

I continued for a while taking one to two days off, trying to keep it to three days tops in a row. I was very strict about this, and for the most part it worked.

For the most part...

Yes, I became physically addicted. And of course as with anything that becomes habitual l experienced some mental addiction as well.

This is something that, for my past experiences and I, isn't that difficult to deal with. And since I kept a schedule, while pretty wide in terms of how much I could use, I really didn't have trouble quitting it.

I quit in May. I plan on getting some again, at least I keep saying that but never get to ordering it lol.

This drug is sweet. It's very gentle in terms of other opioids and opiates. But it's still very addicting. And what's too much for you may not be for someone else.

Reading on these forums trying to find dosages and addiction thresholds serve only in guiding and provide no definitive answer.

So there's a bit of a mixed message for you all. It's bad, it's good, it's bad lol. Just be safe. Love yourself not these drugs.

Share this on:

Tags
kratom, kratom addiction