Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News Chat
Go Back   Drugs Forum > VARIOUS DRUG RELATED TOPICS > Drug News > Health
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Health News about drug research, treatment, and health issues.

Old 09-01-2017, 18:46
The Constant Optimist

Female from United States
Beenthere2Hippie is a true resource and beyond reputeBeenthere2Hippie is a true resource and beyond reputeBeenthere2Hippie is a true resource and beyond reputeBeenthere2Hippie is a true resource and beyond reputeBeenthere2Hippie is a true resource and beyond reputeBeenthere2Hippie is a true resource and beyond reputeBeenthere2Hippie is a true resource and beyond reputeBeenthere2Hippie is a true resource and beyond reputeBeenthere2Hippie is a true resource and beyond reputeBeenthere2Hippie is a true resource and beyond reputeBeenthere2Hippie is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 23,921, Level: 22 Points: 23,921, Level: 22 Points: 23,921, Level: 22
Activity: 99.9% Activity: 99.9% Activity: 99.9%
Went Off My Depression Meds...

Many times, whether you really need it or not, taking medication can feel like giving in to a weakness.

According to the results of a recently published study, despite an increase in antidepressant prescriptions, treatment is rarely made available to those who need it the most. It goes on to reveal that those who do receive medication for depression don't necessarily need it.

Part of this latter problem could have something to do with medical professionals' over-reliance on drug-based treatments versus a more holistic approach that includes diet, exercise, and psychotherapy. Part of it could have something to do with faulty diagnostic processes, leading to overdiagnosis of depression. Screening for depression is, after all, oftentimes conducted within the space of a few minutes via a quick questionnaire that doesn't allow for the nuances between mild depression and more serious psychological distress. Sometimes this even happens during a visit with a primary care physician. The patient mentions she's feeling blue. The doctor—not necessarily qualified to recognize full-blown anxiety or depression—offers the quick fix.

Other times, it happens within the space of a single appointment with a mental health professional, after spending just 30 minutes laying out the reasons you were compelled to seek out help.

Sometimes, despite the diagnosis you're given, it's hard to know what you need, or if what you're feeling is a "normal" reaction to the regular ups and downs of daily life, or an "abnormal" reaction. After all, you can easily collect five different diagnoses from as many different doctors.

Many times, whether you really need it or not, taking medication can feel like giving in to a weakness. Like a personal failure.

That's certainly what it felt like to me. With my collection of diagnoses, I wasn't convinced that medication was something I truly needed. I attempted to rationalize: As a white, cisgendered, middle class woman, how broken could I really be? Why couldn't I just suck it up and deal with my emotions like a big girl, without the help of some overpriced chemical cocktail? And so I went on and off my medications, on and off, from my early 20s through my early 30s. I interpreted significant periods of happiness as a sign that I was too healthy to need a pill. And then I'd realize it was the pill that had been keeping me happy all along.

Six years ago, I tossed my leftover Xanax and Lexapro into my bedside trash can for what I thought was the last time. My husband and I had decided it was time to start a family and, though the existing research on the effects of SSRIs during pregnancy was thus far inconclusive, I decided it was best to go without for as long as I could, just to be safe. The clang of my pill bottles against the bottom of my bronze trashcan was like a starting bell. A new beginning. A dare. I was excited to be medication-free. I was excited to be a mother.

It took us three and a half years to get pregnant. And though I did not always manage those years with grace or aplomb, I did not go back on my meds. We were failing at so much during that time. Fertility. Communication. Our marriage. With the dare I had given myself still ringing in my head, I did not want to fail at my own attempt at med-free mental stability as well.

Instead, I started practicing yoga and meditation. I became addicted to them. The way I felt after an intense practice was its own drug, one whose effects I wanted to clutch to my chest lest it begin to dissipate. Eventually, I became certified to teach yoga and, gradually, I stopped missing my medication altogether. By the time I got pregnant, I was a walking advertisement for the mental health benefits of the practice. It was a story I could tell my students about what it could do for them. It was a story I could tell myself about the person I had become. Strong. Sane. Self-actualized.

Until—one and a half years into new motherhood—the story became untrue. My story collapsed around me.

"What is wrong with you?" my husband asked me as my arms trembled and my fingers flexed and I held my head in my hands like someone who could protect myself from what was happening, even though it was happening deeper inside me than I could reach.

"Why are you so angry?" he asked me as I walked briskly into the back room and slammed my fists down repeatedly on our new, L-shaped couch, the impact traveling its way up to my biceps, into my shoulders, but still muffled. Still better than punching a wall or slamming my hand through a window.

"What is going on?" he asked, again, as I screamed my throat raw with an enormous, unending "FUUUUUUUUCK," pacing back and forth between the kitchen and the TV room.

"What triggered this?" he asked me later on, after I had thrown things across our bedroom and rocked my dresser back and forth, slamming it against the wall again and again, finally coming to collapse onto the area rug, knees tucked into my chest, hands clutching carpet fibers, eyes hot and wet and exhausted. He didn't come to me then. He didn't comfort me. There was no hand on my back, pressed firmly against the tremulous rise and fall of my spine. There were no arms around my torso, pulling me close, enveloping me. There was only the cat, looking down at me, concerned, from his perch on the bed, a stable, steady presence. I reached my hand out for him and I placed my palm against the curve of his skull and I ran my fingers through his fur.

You would think that, after eleven years together, he would know: I don't know why I'm angry. I don't know how to label myself. I don't know what story to tell.

But he wants something he can pin it on. A means of absolving the sobbing, heaving, ugly mass of flesh that is his wife, the mother of his one-year-old daughter.

But how do I explain away something as inexplicable and irrational as depression? How do I elicit sympathy when it seems as if there is nothing wrong, except in my own mind? I can look to the things that have happened lately, the things that have caused stress, the small changes and shifts that have forced me to stretch in ways I am unused to. New motherhood. A new job, and all the pressures that come with it. But often, these feel incidental.

On NPR's "Dear Sugar" podcast, Cheryl Strayed and Steve Almond once fielded a letter from someone who habitually lied to the people in her life in order to obtain their sympathy. She spun tales of rape and loss, things that had never happened, things that were so horrific the backlash would likely be huge if she ever admitted to their falsehood.

With their typical openness and compassion, Strayed and Almond surmised that this woman was trying to create a storyline that aligned with the pain and hurt she was actually feeling. She was trying to find a way toward the compassion she needed and, short of concocting sufficiently traumatic stories, she didn't know how.

She knew how stories could absolve her.

She knew how stories could make people understand.

She knew that people needed to know why.

Once upon a time, clinicians used an endogenous/reactive model for depression. Reactive depression referred to depression triggered by obvious external sources. Endogenous depression, on the other hand, referred to depression that arose without any obvious, identifiable cause. It was generally believed to be caused solely by a chemical imbalance in the brain.

Research since then has revealed that things are not quite so black and white. More clinicians are now working from an integrative model, one that acknowledges the myriad factors that can contribute to depression, some of them internal (genetics, biological reactions to past trauma) and others external (lack of sleep, stress, loss, illness, etc.). A recent paper explains depression as a mind-body attempt to conserve energy after "the perceived loss of an investment" such as a relationship, group identity, or personal asset. Sometimes the causes are obvious to the one experiencing the depressive episode. Sometimes, they are less so.

Despite my own grapplings with what story to tell about myself, with what label to use, it's undeniable that depression has always maintained a presence in my marriage. At many points, I have been able to point to the cause: to specific communication issues within our marriage. To my anxiety about marriage in general. To income disparity. To professional failure. To infertility. To exhaustion.

But sometimes, I can't find the root cause of my anger, my frustration, and my general malaise. The depression is something I can't control, because I don't know where it comes from.

And while medication may ease the symptoms of my depression, it can't eradicate it. And even more frustrating, it can't illuminate the cause. Perhaps this—more than anything else—is why I shy away from labels and prescriptions. For others, meds are lifesaving.

For me they're a mask.

By Stephanie Auteri - Tonic/Jan. 9, 2017
https://tonic.vice.com/en_us/article...ntidepressants
Art: 1-Rebloggy; 2-Factal Enlightenment
Newshawk Crew
Old 10-01-2017, 16:33
Just A Brick In The Wall

34 y/o Female from United States
detoxin momma must mainline Medlinedetoxin momma must mainline Medlinedetoxin momma must mainline Medlinedetoxin momma must mainline Medlinedetoxin momma must mainline Medlinedetoxin momma must mainline Medlinedetoxin momma must mainline Medlinedetoxin momma must mainline Medlinedetoxin momma must mainline Medlinedetoxin momma must mainline Medlinedetoxin momma must mainline Medline
Points: 5,814, Level: 11 Points: 5,814, Level: 11 Points: 5,814, Level: 11
Activity: 91.1% Activity: 91.1% Activity: 91.1%
Re: Went Off My Depression Meds...

wow, this is a great story, thanks for posting it. i dont even know where to start with how i can relate.

on the diagnosis', yes, i do feel i have never gotten legitimate ones. my psychiatrist diagnosed me with OCD ,GAD, and bipolar 1 the first time i saw him, maybe like a 20 minute chat.

he noted, i was sweating, i had elevated blood pressure, i was talking really fast, and when he asked what was bothering me most (at the time) i said the loss of my dog.

thats it, you have blah blah blah...all it took.
i dont know if hes right or not....only opinion ive ever gotten.

about the story telling, when i was a teenager and self harming, i never told the truth about. I didnt exactly make up how the injuries had happened, but i would apply a previous event/situation to how it happened. a true event, but thats not how the wound happened, if that makes sense....
The story would always start, well you see, my step dad and i were really drunk....which was true, and i was only 15, so i guess i wanted to express it, without EXACTLY revealing what had happened.

i realize now thats really messed up, but as teenagers, some of us are kinda messed up.

also, ive heard more times than i can count, the ones that really need medications are the ones that dont want them. it may be true in my case, but i see it like this:

i can't take medications my whole damn life. i dont believe taking ANY medication for an extended period of time is healthy, i want my body to learn how to handle life on its own, even if i feel anxious sometimes.
like the story says, im a big girl, i dont want to rely on something to help control my emotions.the emotion as eventually will arise back up, the memories will eventually rise back up, even if its just in dreams, theres no escaping.
to me, taking a medication is like putting a bandaid on the situation, and we cant go threw our lives with a permanent bandaid.

i have become very fond of meditation as well. I face things i put off confronting, and thats healthy. it makes me feel more comfortable with myself, as i am.
Old 10-01-2017, 18:03
The Constant Optimist

Female from United States
Beenthere2Hippie is a true resource and beyond reputeBeenthere2Hippie is a true resource and beyond reputeBeenthere2Hippie is a true resource and beyond reputeBeenthere2Hippie is a true resource and beyond reputeBeenthere2Hippie is a true resource and beyond reputeBeenthere2Hippie is a true resource and beyond reputeBeenthere2Hippie is a true resource and beyond reputeBeenthere2Hippie is a true resource and beyond reputeBeenthere2Hippie is a true resource and beyond reputeBeenthere2Hippie is a true resource and beyond reputeBeenthere2Hippie is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 23,921, Level: 22 Points: 23,921, Level: 22 Points: 23,921, Level: 22
Activity: 99.9% Activity: 99.9% Activity: 99.9%

As usual, your bravery and willingness to openly share your own personal experience with the taking and not taking depression meds is invaluable, Momma. All too many of DF's members/readers can relate to what you've laid down here.

With people close to me and in my own family suffering from bipolar conditions in varying degree, I understand and appreciate that there is no one answer to using or not using that antidepressants, and that at different times in a depression-sufferer's life different methods of coping with the condition make perfect sense: sometimes taking the meds that you can at-the-time manage to afford (they are far from cheap), and that at other times you/others may not be able to afford/willing to use.

As with all the complex and overlapping conditions affecting we humans, addressing one's depression is not a single-layer situation and takes time and effort to find what works best for each person.
Old 11-01-2017, 13:56
Just A Brick In The Wall

34 y/o Female from United States
detoxin momma must mainline Medlinedetoxin momma must mainline Medlinedetoxin momma must mainline Medlinedetoxin momma must mainline Medlinedetoxin momma must mainline Medlinedetoxin momma must mainline Medlinedetoxin momma must mainline Medlinedetoxin momma must mainline Medlinedetoxin momma must mainline Medlinedetoxin momma must mainline Medlinedetoxin momma must mainline Medline
Points: 5,814, Level: 11 Points: 5,814, Level: 11 Points: 5,814, Level: 11
Activity: 91.1% Activity: 91.1% Activity: 91.1%

Thanks for saying that B. I still feel i should say, that i realize everyone is different.I realize some peoples symptoms truly are debilitating, but mine are not.

Yes, i took things to the extreme, as a kid, but i learned from all that.

I also realize, if i werent a mom, i wouldnt have so many good reasons to keep staying positive, they give my life meaning and direction. growing up seeing how bad it hurts the young ones to have such a dramatic lifestyle, such a pessimistic attitude towards life and what not, really changed my perspective, my attitude as a parent.

so even if i do feel i start to slide into depression, or become hostile, i get it under control very quickly.
I would never let my kids see some of things i saw growing up, or be in some of the situations, never.

so in a way, being determined to improve my kids lives over mine, is my medicine.
dont get me wrong, we arent perfect, far from it, but our lives are atleast stable, the worst they've experienced is me being aggrevated over alcohol, anything dramatic has been from alcohol.

so my point is, im sure some people do have debilitating symptoms, and do truly need medication. my approach isnt for everyone, i realize that.
I have no doubt, if i didnt have my kids to keep my focus, i would probably be in a totally different spot, maybe not even alive.

i had legit anxiety over logging onto DF today, simply because of how open i said these things yesterday. ive never talked to a single person about self harming except my ex girlfriend, she played a huge role in getting me to see how much that didnt help anything. If anything, it just makes it harder to get over the past, because now you have not just emotional scars, but scars you can see with your eyes to.
Even my husband doesnt know about that, ive told him, i grew up country, yeah, ive got a few scars......

This thread was therapeutic for me. Ever have that feeling where you feel like, wow, i just released something major i'd had bottled up....feels awkward.
i don't want to say anything personal for a long time!

Post Quality Reviews:
Fair to say your personal experience and take on the subject affecting many on DF is healing and helpful to all who read. Thank you for your contribution.

Share this on:

Tags
anxiety disorder, bipolar medication, depression drug alternatives, depression treatment, prescribed drug behaviors