Drugs-Forum  
Home Wiki Studies Forum Groups Blog Video Images News
Go Back   Drugs Forum > DRUG-FORUMS > Alcohol
Mark Forums Read
Register Tags

Notices

Alcohol Alcohol, including absinthe, hard liquor, beer, wine, and other assorted spirits.

Old 26-02-2005, 05:26

Male
godismdma should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 243, Level: 2 Points: 243, Level: 2 Points: 243, Level: 2
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
Converting rubbing alcohol to drinking alcohol?

this may be a dumb question but, I have had people tell me you can make rubbing alcohol into drinking alcohol. Is this possible and if so how?????

Post Quality Evaluations:
Please don't use SWIY or SWIM. The use is discouraged due to a lack of protection against self-incrimination.
Old 26-02-2005, 22:03
Silver Member

MINUS is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1 Points: 51, Level: 1
your right it is a dumb question. I dont know if you can change it, i don't think you can. But why would you want to? (the outcome probably wouldn't be worth the process.just buy a pint of cheap vodka!)Plus if you are really desperate you can drink rubbing alcohol to get drunk, but you'll probably puke, and you'll fell sick for a while, so don't do it. TRUST ME! Edited by: MINUS
Old 06-03-2005, 04:52
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

Female from United Kingdom
Muirner is learning how to become a psychonaut.
Points: 324, Level: 2 Points: 324, Level: 2 Points: 324, Level: 2

There are true alcoholics that will drink anything from mouthwash to rubbing alcohol to get drunk. I wouldnt advise it because if it was ment to get drunk off of it'd be sold in a liquer store not in your average store. I think that it'd fuck up your stomach to drink rubbing alcohol or mouthwash. hell i think u'd puke far before u got drunk but that is just SWIMS opinion

MuirnerEdited by: Muirner
Old 07-03-2005, 00:03

Male
godismdma should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 243, Level: 2 Points: 243, Level: 2 Points: 243, Level: 2
I really don't drink much anymore, just on the week ends I just wanted to know if was chemically possible to make it drinkable. Concidering the molecular structure is ether and water?!?!?!?
Old 07-03-2005, 12:54
Phungushead Phungushead is nu online
Twisted Depiction
Super Moderator

Male from United States
Phungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond reputePhungushead is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 28,086, Level: 24 Points: 28,086, Level: 24 Points: 28,086, Level: 24
Activity: 13.9% Activity: 13.9% Activity: 13.9%
Well, first, we know that drinking alcohol is ethanol.

Many rubbing alcohols are denatured = chemicals have been added to the ethanol make them unsuitable for drinking. Either they taste like crap or they're poisonous. A commonly used denaturant causes blindness.

A lot of rubbing alcohols don't even contain ethanol, and therefore it would be useless/dangerous to try to consume them.

I don't think it would be worth it to try.

Important reminder about what the denaturing process introduces.

Last edited by Phungushead; 13-02-2014 at 07:23. Reason: old post, fixing formatting issues from migration.
Old 23-11-2013, 09:22
Palladium Member

33 y/o Male from USA - Indiana
Pharfromsober really adds to the discussion.Pharfromsober really adds to the discussion.Pharfromsober really adds to the discussion.Pharfromsober really adds to the discussion.Pharfromsober really adds to the discussion.Pharfromsober really adds to the discussion.
Points: 956, Level: 4 Points: 956, Level: 4 Points: 956, Level: 4
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%
Re: Can SWIY convert rubbing alcohol to drinking alcohol?

You should not consume isopropyl alcohol, this is seriously dangerous. Just Google the MSDS for it. This is a seriously stupid idea, it will get someone killed.

I work in a print shop. I use pure isopropyl daily as a solvent. I am well aware of its hazards. In very small amounts its more or less harmless. When consumed in large amounts its poison.
Old 26-11-2013, 11:26
Silver Member

27 y/o Male from United States
BreezeByTheCreek is a decent psychonaut.BreezeByTheCreek is a decent psychonaut.
Points: 180, Level: 2 Points: 180, Level: 2 Points: 180, Level: 2
Activity: 9.4% Activity: 9.4% Activity: 9.4%

C=OH -> Methanol (should be a triple bond)

C=C-OH -> Ethanol

- C
C - C - OH -> Isopropyl Alcohol
- C

Only one of the chemical structures here is (relatively) safe for human consumption, the other two have different carbon structures and are poison. Converting between alcohols would be hard as fuck to do, forming or breaking covalent carbon bonds, and then risk putting that in your system hoping it's a pure product. Unless you have a degree in Organic Chemistry (which you don't cause you are asking this question), don't fucking do it. Just splurge the few extra dollars to upgrade to the handle of cheap bottom-shelf vodka and run it through a Brita filter a few times.

Last edited by BreezeByTheCreek; 05-12-2013 at 08:54.
Old 06-02-2014, 01:45

28 y/o Male from United Kingdom
Totse should urgently read the rules & received reputation comments.
Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1 Points: 18, Level: 1
Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2% Activity: 0.2%

I think what the OP was asking is can he use distillation or another method to convert ETHYL rubbing alcohol to a drinkable form, not isopropyl. Is there a way to make denatured alcohol suitable for injestion? I'm pretty sure rubbing alcohol is denatured by way of a bitterant instead of menthol, because menthol can't be used in any product for human consumption, even topical doses.

Would you be able to get pure ethanol from distillation, or maybe some other method?
Old 12-02-2014, 22:20
Mercury Member

20 y/o Female from Earth
lovethatdrug needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

I used to drink and inject rubbing alcohol and I haven't had any problems. I think there is a law that only allows companies to denature it a certain amount so alcoholics aren't harmed if they drink it.
mouthwash or rubbing alcohol enough to harm you or at all because alcoholics might drink it and sue them.

lovethatdrug added 2 Minutes and 18 Seconds later...

Mouthwash and rubbing alcohol aren't denatured enough to harm you because companies can get sued. I used to drink both of them everyday.

Dangerous trolling. Your claims to have injected rubbing alcohol lack any credibility.
Seriously bad advice, isopropyl alcohol is not safe for human consumption period. This has already been covered in this thread.
terrible advice, rubbing alcohol is NOT safe to drink, let alone inject
The antithesis of harm reuduction
Horrable advice. this is a harm reduction site.

Last edited by lovethatdrug; 12-02-2014 at 22:20. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
Old 12-02-2014, 22:27
seaturtle seaturtle is nu online
Silver Member

Male from United States
seaturtle really knows their shit.seaturtle really knows their shit.seaturtle really knows their shit.seaturtle really knows their shit.seaturtle really knows their shit.seaturtle really knows their shit.seaturtle really knows their shit.seaturtle really knows their shit.
Points: 1,613, Level: 6 Points: 1,613, Level: 6 Points: 1,613, Level: 6
Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7% Activity: 1.7%
Re: Converting rubbing alcohol to drinking alcohol?

I don't understand why people do this, cheap vodka is less expensive than rubbing alcohol and mouthwash, and obviously cheap vodka is way safer. The only reason for resulting to rubbing alcohol or mouthwash would be if someone is under age or banned from drinking alcohol by their family, and in either case they should not be drinking.

If someone resorts to drinking rubbing alcohol or mouthwash they need rehab immediately, before they destroy their bodies further.

Very good insight into the dangers of alcoholism.
Old 13-02-2014, 05:28
Palladium Member

33 y/o Male from USA - Indiana
Pharfromsober really adds to the discussion.Pharfromsober really adds to the discussion.Pharfromsober really adds to the discussion.Pharfromsober really adds to the discussion.Pharfromsober really adds to the discussion.Pharfromsober really adds to the discussion.
Points: 956, Level: 4 Points: 956, Level: 4 Points: 956, Level: 4
Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9% Activity: 0.9%

Lovethatdrug, it has already been covered a number of times in this thread why isopropyl alcohol is not safe for ingestion. You are helping to perpetrate a myth that could get people killed.

Just because you have done something and turned out OK, does not mean its safe. This has nothing to do with alcohol being denatured or not. Ethanol and isopropyl are two different kinds of alcohol, and only one is safe(relatively) to drink and it isn't isopropyl.
Old 14-02-2014, 01:41
Silver Member

27 y/o Male from Canada
Nosferatus really adds to the discussion.Nosferatus really adds to the discussion.Nosferatus really adds to the discussion.Nosferatus really adds to the discussion.Nosferatus really adds to the discussion.Nosferatus really adds to the discussion.
Points: 1,061, Level: 5 Points: 1,061, Level: 5 Points: 1,061, Level: 5
Activity: 12.0% Activity: 12.0% Activity: 12.0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by godismdma View Post
this may be a dumb question but, I have had people tell me you can make rubbing alcohol into drinking alcohol. Is this possible and if so how?????
It is possible to make DENATURED alcohol, that is ethanol for industrial purposes that has additives that make it not readily drinkable, relatively safe to consume. Rubbing alcohol, however, is 100% isopropyl alcohol, which is 110% toxic to humans, and cannot be made anything but that, it's quite chemically distinct from ethanol, and it would be a foolish person who would attempt to consume it under any circumstances. I really don't even understand why one would even be inclined to try this, there are brands of purpose made drinking alcohol that are in fact cheaper than isopropyl.
Old 15-02-2014, 15:49
Mercury Member

29 y/o Male from United States
zedletter needs to UTFSE some more before posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muirner View Post
There are true alcoholics that will drink anything from mouthwash to rubbing alcohol to get drunk. I wouldnt advise it because if it was ment to get drunk off of it'd be sold in a liquer store not in your average store. I think that it'd fuck up your stomach to drink rubbing alcohol or mouthwash. hell i think u'd puke far before u got drunk but that is just SWIMS opinion

MuirnerEdited by: Muirner
Drinking mouthwash isn't that bad when you're broke as hell. It's 54 proof ETHANOL, and none of the other ingredients are that harmful. I don't reccommend drinking it, but when people say you can't get drunk off of listerine, they are wrong.

Off topic, descibing questionable and likely harmful activities
Old 15-02-2014, 22:03
Titanium Member

Male from United States
Hockeydemon is on the way upHockeydemon is on the way upHockeydemon is on the way upHockeydemon is on the way up
Points: 425, Level: 3 Points: 425, Level: 3 Points: 425, Level: 3
Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1% Activity: 0.1%

You can renature alcohol that has been denatured, but it is more work that it is worth which is the whole purpose of denaturing alcohol. All of the additives have different boiling points so you could distill off the different additives, but the boiling points are similar to one another intentionally so you would need to perform an azeotropic distillation - most likely under vacuum. Not something your average household is able to do.

You can synthesize ethanol easier than you can renature alcohol..
Old 09-02-2015, 23:00

34 y/o Male from United Kingdom
MattMatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1

I have two problems with this thread.
1) the original poster was asking about removing toxic additives to denatured alcohols, not changing Iso to ethyl
2) Isopropyl may not be suitable as a drinking alcohol but its toxicity is not much higher than ethanol. BOTH are toxic. Ethanol is organic and metabolised easier by the liver and can get you drunk long before causing fatal overdose. Isopropyl alcohol is metabolised to acetone by the liver and the line between getting drunk and doing serious harm is very thin.
So while it is good to deter people from drinking Isopropyl alcohol it is should be done with the truth. Comments like "110%" poisonous are just dumb. ALL alcohol is poisonous but the body can deal with ethanol easier than it can Isopropyl and Ethanol is less toxic. But Isopropyl is less damaging for topical applications, which is why it is often used as rubbing alcohol.
It is methanol that is the really dangerous alcohol, and can kill or cause blindness, even in tiny amounts.
You'd need to drink about 8 oz of Iso to kill yourself and consider 12 oz of ethanol could do the same its toxicity should not be exaggerated.
There are a lot of good reasons why people should not drink isopropyl alcohol, so stick to providing them with the good and truthful reasons please people and don't peddle nonsense
Old 10-02-2015, 01:19
Silver Member

Male from Canada
Alien Sex Fiend must live here.Alien Sex Fiend must live here.Alien Sex Fiend must live here.Alien Sex Fiend must live here.Alien Sex Fiend must live here.Alien Sex Fiend must live here.Alien Sex Fiend must live here.
Points: 2,111, Level: 6 Points: 2,111, Level: 6 Points: 2,111, Level: 6
Activity: 62.9% Activity: 62.9% Activity: 62.9%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMatt View Post
You'd need to drink about 8 oz of Iso to kill yourself and consider 12 oz of ethanol could do the same its toxicity should not be exaggerated.
This is wrong. Could a mod please close this thread before some dumb body seriously hurts himself/herself?
Old 10-02-2015, 03:02
Silver Member

Male from United States
PowerfulMedicine really knows their shit.PowerfulMedicine really knows their shit.PowerfulMedicine really knows their shit.PowerfulMedicine really knows their shit.PowerfulMedicine really knows their shit.PowerfulMedicine really knows their shit.PowerfulMedicine really knows their shit.PowerfulMedicine really knows their shit.PowerfulMedicine really knows their shit.
Points: 1,384, Level: 5 Points: 1,384, Level: 5 Points: 1,384, Level: 5
Activity: 5.4% Activity: 5.4% Activity: 5.4%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Sex Fiend View Post
This is wrong. Could a mod please close this thread before some dumb body seriously hurts himself/herself?
Actually, their numbers are pretty accurate. According to data on the CDC website, 190g of isopropyl alcohol is considered to be the probable oral lethal dose for humans. With a density of .786g/mL, that puts the lethal dose of pure isopropyl alcohol at 8.15oz in volume.

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/idlh/67630.HTML

Something that I find interesting is that the major metabolite of isopropyl alcohol, acetone (oral LD50: 5800 mg/kg in rats), is less toxic than the major metabolite of ethanol, acetaldehyde (oral LD50: 661 mg/kg in rats).

Acetaldehyde MSDS: http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9922768
Acetone MSDS: http://www.sciencelab.com/msds.php?msdsId=9927062
Old 10-02-2015, 03:46
Silver Member

Male from Canada
Alien Sex Fiend must live here.Alien Sex Fiend must live here.Alien Sex Fiend must live here.Alien Sex Fiend must live here.Alien Sex Fiend must live here.Alien Sex Fiend must live here.Alien Sex Fiend must live here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerfulMedicine View Post
Actually, their numbers are pretty accurate.
I didn't mean that, I meant this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMatt View Post
You'd need to drink about 8 oz of Iso to kill yourself and consider 12 oz of ethanol could do the same
12 oz of ethanol will make you hangover but won't kill you, unlike 8oz of Iso
Old 10-02-2015, 14:26
Platinum Member & Advisor

39 y/o Male from Ireland
ianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond reputeianzombie is a true resource and beyond repute
Points: 26,503, Level: 23 Points: 26,503, Level: 23 Points: 26,503, Level: 23
Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0% Activity: 100.0%

How many people do you hear about going blind from drinking alcohol?
Isopropyl might not kill you in small doses but it can cause you lots of other problems that low doses of drinking alcohol will not.
Old 10-02-2015, 16:26
Silver Member

Male from United States
PowerfulMedicine really knows their shit.PowerfulMedicine really knows their shit.PowerfulMedicine really knows their shit.PowerfulMedicine really knows their shit.PowerfulMedicine really knows their shit.PowerfulMedicine really knows their shit.PowerfulMedicine really knows their shit.PowerfulMedicine really knows their shit.PowerfulMedicine really knows their shit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Sex Fiend View Post
12 oz of ethanol will make you hangover but won't kill you, unlike 8oz of Iso
I'm having a hard time finding good references for the lethal dose of alcohol in humans that isn't put in terms of Blood Alcohol Content but, from what I can find, it seems that the lethal dose of ethanol in a humans is 5-8g/kg which is around 300g for a 60kg person. Another number I found was 300-400mL.

http://www.alcohol.org.nz/alcohol-yo...ohol-poisoning

300g of ethanol, which has a density of .789g/mL, is approximately 380mL or 12.8oz. 300-400mL is about 10-14oz which also fits Matt's number well. Using the figure 5-8g/kg as a lethal dose, that would put my lethal dose at around 19oz, but I wouldn't want to even get to 12oz, let alone test this number.

This is in terms of pure alcohol. No one drinks pure alcohol. His numbers are spot on for pure isopropanol and ethanol. 12oz of hard liquor may just give you a hangover. But 12oz of very pure moonshine could possibly kill you. You might be able to drink more if you're very large or an alcoholic with a high tolerance, but you'd still be in a dangerous situation.
Old 10-02-2015, 22:43
Silver Member

Male from Canada

Quote:
12oz of hard liquor may just give you a hangover. But 12oz of very pure moonshine could possibly kill you. You might be able to drink more if you're very large or an alcoholic with a high tolerance, but you'd still be in a dangerous situation.
I just realized we are speaking about comparison to pure ethanol. You are right, I ve calculated that 336ml of near 100% ethanol is equal to approx 800ml of vodka and this will kill me and any adult if drank in one sitting. I remember drinking about 700ml in 6hours and waking up in ER with tubes in me.

ianzombie is right on the subject, iso is potentially harmful in very small doses. Who wants to wake up hangover and blind?
Old 10-02-2015, 23:42
Silver Member

Male from United States

I believe someone already mentioned this, but isopropyl alcohol or any other alcohol intended for topical use is not denatured with anything that is extremely (I know this is a relative term) toxic and definitely won't contain methanol. Actually, if I recall correctly, isopropanol is sometimes used as a denaturant itself.

It has also already been mentioned that methanol is the type of alcohol that causes blindness. This is because it's metabolized into formic acid which is toxic to the optic nerve (and the rest of your body).

The main problem with drinking isopropanol is that it is unstudied as an intoxicant, so it may have unknown negative effects if consumed, and that it's more potent than ethanol. It's very easy to overdose on isopropanol, especially once you've become intoxicated and have lost the inhibition and cognitive abilities that would prevent you from accidentally killing yourself.

Ethanol is potent enough already and at least it's dangers are well known. Anyone drinking isopropanol is taking a large risk that really isn't worth it. If you're desperate for alcohol, just make pruno. Drinking toilet wine and drinking isopropanol have a similar stigma, but at least you'll be more safe with the ethanol option.
Old 10-02-2015, 23:52
Silver Member

Male from Canada

Quote:
If you're desperate for alcohol, just make pruno.
I made pruno many times, it was great.
I read in a newspaper, once some inmates forgot to rip holes in a bag and managed to spike the concoction with earth, and getting themselves hospitalized with Botulism
Old 18-02-2015, 22:11
Account Awaiting Email Confirmation.

20 y/o Male from United States
Cocainecola is learning how to become a psychonaut.

There's a way to do it! You just have to be 21
Old 22-02-2015, 03:53

34 y/o Male from United Kingdom
MattMatt is an unknown quantity at this point
Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1 Points: 5, Level: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianzombie View Post
How many people do you hear about going blind from drinking alcohol?
Isopropyl might not kill you in small doses but it can cause you lots of other problems that low doses of drinking alcohol will not.
How many people have gone blind from drinking Isopropyl alcohol? The answer is zero. I never said people should drink Isopropyl (in fact I specifically said they shouldn't) but I think you should deter people with the truth instead of made up nonsense. It is Methanol that causes blindness (not Isopropyl) and is highly toxic even at tiny doses.
The info I gave on the estimated lethal doses of Isopropyl alcohol and Ethanol alcohol is accurate. Isopropyl is potentially lethal at just over 8 ounces and Ethanol is lethal at 12 to 14 ounces (depending on tolerance, size etc.). So Isopropyl is approximately twice as toxic as Ethanol. Smaller amounts can cause toxic effects with as little as 12 grams considered to cause side effects and potential harm, but again Ethanol also causes side effects at lower doses too.
Like I said there are many reasons why drinking Isopropyl alcohol is not advised and can cause problems even at doses below lethal doses. But I personally think it is safer to deter people from drinking it with actual facts, rather than nonsense that actually comes from info on Methanol.
For example, if you tell people that they shouldn't drink Isopropyl because it will make them go blind and they then discover that you are mistaken and it is actually Methanol that carries that risk they may think Isopropyl is ok to drink as an Ethanol substitute and your warnings not to drink it are based in ignorance.
My comment also was deterring potential readers from drinking Isopropyl but was sticking to the truth to do so. Isopropyl is not as easily metabolised as Ethanol, and converts to different chemicals in the liver (acetone). It is approximately twice as toxic, has harsher effects on GI tract and stomach, has more unpleasant side effects at lower doses, as low as 12 grams, and the line between getting drunk and causing harm to health is much thinner. I appreciate Powerful Medicine bringing some sense to the discussion and confirming the accuracy of the info I provided. I agree that drinking Isopropyl to get drunk as an Ethanol substitute is a potentially harmful thing to do and should be discouraged but people should stick to the truth when doing so as false info just discredits warnings and muddies the waters of understanding.

Share this on:

Tags
bad ideas, denatured alcohol, isopropanol, rubbing alcohol